Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

From Ornstein's weekly column in the Athletic:

"Staveley and Ghodoussi have plenty to talk to Chelsea about

Amanda Staveley and Mehrdad Ghodoussi launched a thousand Twitter conspiracies on Sunday when the Newcastle co-owners were pictured at Stamford Bridge watching Chelsea’s home match against Tottenham.

A day after attending Newcastle’s goalless draw down the road in Brighton, a result that brought Eddie Howe’s team their fourth point of the season, the pair were seen in conversation with Behdad Eghbali, who holds a similar position to theirs at the west London club.

Newcastle are still looking to further strengthen their first-team squad before the transfer window closes, with multiple sources at the club telling The Athletic they believe they are at least one attacking player short of where they want to be.

Internally, there have been discussions about Chelsea trio Armando Broja, Conor Gallagher and Callum Hudson-Odoi, while Timo Werner was spoken about as a possible loan signing before making a permanent move back to RB Leipzig last week.

Another Chelsea player, USMNT captain Christian Pulisic, is also a potential loan target.

It is understood Staveley and Ghodoussi, who are married, were there at the invitation of Boehly — someone Staveley knows as a friend after they both spoke at an event hosted by American economic think-tank the Milken Institute in 2019 titled Investing In Volatile Markets.

While Sunday’s meeting was a social one, Staveley and Ghodoussi have forged a strong relationship with Chelsea, a club they hope Newcastle will be rivalling for trophies within the next few years.

Sometimes, such relationships can lead in interesting directions, not least when it comes to mutually beneficial transfers."

4 minutes ago, gdm said:

Can’t say I’ve paid to much attention to Pulisic. Would he be a good signing? Doesn’t seem to get many goals or assists looking at his stats 

He's got 19 goals and 9 assists in 75 games - that's about 10 goals/5 assists per 38 games. Plus he only starts about 2/3 of the time.

edit - he's averaging about one attacking return every other game.

Edited by Keegans Export

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

Can’t say I’ve paid to much attention to Pulisic. Would he be a good signing? Doesn’t seem to get many goals or assists looking at his stats 

He can blow a little hot and cold for Chelsea. One of those players who tends to get into purple patches of form, before then dropping off for a few games. That being said, Pulisic off form offers way more than Almiron on form. I like Almiron, but Pulisic is just several levels better. 

4 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I think of all the players we've been linked with recently that I'd consider realistic or doable, Pulisic would be pretty much top of my list. 

Basically put in a cheeky option to buy clause in there and sign Diaby the following season - Pulisic can then compete with ASM on the left 

11 minutes ago, loki679 said:

From a football standpoint he'd be a good signing but we'll end up with loads of yanks on here posting about soccerball and jerseys and playoffs and shit.

N-O:

3 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Hypothetical I know, but would people be happy with a straight swap with ASM for Pulisic?

Nah, you solve one problem (RW) but create another (LW).

Net gain would be pretty minimal unless we brought in a decent replacement for ASM.

10 minutes ago, madras said:

Was that not a meeting of all the Premier leagues owners/representatives ?

Can’t find the info but I think that meeting was the day before and they stayed on to take in the game at Boely’s invitation? 

Guest HTT II

He’s obviously a good player and is or was highly rated, it hasn’t quite worked out for him at Chelsea. I’d take any number of their ‘fringe’ players to be honest. Him, CHO, Gallagher, RLC who I thought was superb yesterday and even Barkley at a push. 

9 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

Hypothetical I know, but would people be happy with a straight swap with ASM for Pulisic?

No, questionable whether that even improves us.

Can see the argument that Pulisic could be a better fit (albeit on the opposite side) but not sure he’s actually a better player.