Now That's What I Call Transfer Rumours! 7

Rich

I wouldn't say it to his face no, cos he's huge.

He's been a superb signing and love having him around the squad. I wouldn't even say he's clearly a CB - I think he can play both positions effectively. However if your model is to replace the weakest starters with clear upgrades (which seems to be the case) them he's obviously up there as a priority. No top club would have a full back who can't/doesn't cross the ball. 

The mental gymnastics here. Do a job. Yeah I'll say. It's great he can play both cb and lb. 

If Howe thinks he can play lb then I'll say he is a lb that can cover cb. 

An upgrade would be great. But I'm not fussed. And even so, i would expect heavy rotation and plenty of time for him at LB. 

His lack of pace as an lb is always a worry but he’s usually very good defensively. We also have a perfectly fine alternative in Targett. I’m more worried about what happens if Trippier were to get a lengthy injury.

8 minutes ago, McCormick said:

His lack of pace as an lb is always a worry but he’s usually very good defensively. We also have a perfectly fine alternative in Targett. I’m more worried about what happens if Trippier were to get a lengthy injury.

Kraft

45 minutes ago, NobbySolano said:

WTF is the fascination with hating on Dan Burn?

I'm not saying he will be in the UCL team if the season but he is hardly the liability you all make him to be.

He was key part of the best defense in the league. When we started giving up goals towards the end it was almost never on his side or his fault. 

Out of all the positions we can improve or add quality, it's not even top 3. Or maybe 3rd. I would rather add depth in a lot of other spots than spend capital at LB

There's always got to be someone for some folk. Its part of a football fans existence to be miserable and when things are going well some cant let it go entirely.

Edited by Jonas

He's slow and poor on the ball. We made it work but it was never going to  be a long term solution. I don't think defensively we'd get miles stronger replacing him but we definitely would give team a lot more to think about when defending against us and be more balanced. Think it would do Trippier some good as well not having to be the one fullback bombing up and down the wing constantly. 

Our entire attack isn’t really designed to have him cross or attack. When he does it’s fucking bloody awkward and randomly effective. He’s def needing to be upgraded, ideally you find another really strong defensive player who’s just obviously better going forward. 

42 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Absolutely agree with this, like.

The utility of playing Burn at LB is that it allows us to play a back 3 when Trips pushes up to essentially play RM. I don’t know if that’s by design…does Howe truly want one “CB in FB’s clothing”, while the other FB  joins the attack? Or is it to make the most of the players that we have? With relatively unlimited resources, how would Howe have us set up?

2 minutes ago, Deuce said:

The utility of playing Burn at LB is that it allows us to play a back 3 when Trips pushes up to essentially play RM. I don’t know if that’s by design…does Howe truly want one “CB in FB’s clothing”, while the other FB  joins the attack? Or is it to make the most of the players that we have? With relatively unlimited resources, how would Howe have us set up?

Maybe an out and out DM to sit in between the two CBS, and both FBs pushing forward? 

2 hours ago, toon25 said:

Absolutely agree with this, like.

Same. We have too many holes to fill to deal with this, but one of the most obvious ways we could regress next season is an injury to Trippier. We were incredibly fortunate to get 46 games and almost 4,000 minutes from him. 

7 hours ago, Shak said:

It depends on Howe how feels about Targett, for me.

Burn did a commendable job at LB given his skillset but I wouldn't say he was good by any means. The fact that Targett didn't manage to take the job back doesn't fill me with confidence about him going forward.

If it was just a fitness thing or aversion to changing something that was working and Howe likes Targett... I'd be OK with no big name LB signing.

A young player that can backup Targett (with Burn being the emergency LB option) would be the minimum though, can't go into next season with Burn and Targett the only left footed defenders in the squad.

I think a new attacking LB is crucial to developing our play to help break teams down at home against a defensive set up and to improve our options in the champions league. Dan Burn has been excellent for us from a defensive point of view but I just don’t see him as the answer moving forwards. I think we need someone linking up on that left side note and providing more of an attacking threat. The team and our style of play will improve and bringing in a left back will be part of that I think.

I agree though it’ll be interesting to see what Howe does with Targett moving forwards. I thought he would become the back up left back behind a new signing (occasional league games, cup matches etc) but his lack of game time the season just gone makes you wonder what Howe thinks of him moving forwards. That said he was injured for a fair chunk so that’s probably had an impact. We do need numbers for a sways though with so many games.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

A new LB is 3 or 4th on the priority list for me. My order is CM, RW/RWF, then RCB or LB.

I love Burn but when you look at the stats playing him makes us a bit one dimensional and places a lot on Trippier not getting injured. If you have someone with more attacking treat down that side, with Trippier fit you can vary how you attack more. If Trippier gets injured then you can play a similar way to this year but switch the focus to the left.

We also arguably have out best attackers on the left and this could help us get more out of them.  Finally we could in some games switch to a back 3 with attacking wing backs. It just gives us a lot more options.

8 hours ago, NobbySolano said:

The mental gymnastics here. Do a job. Yeah I'll say. It's great he can play both cb and lb. 

If Howe thinks he can play lb then I'll say he is a lb that can cover cb. 

An upgrade would be great. But I'm not fussed. And even so, i would expect heavy rotation and plenty of time for him at LB. 

Wanting to upgrade the weakness areas of the team is wildly illogical like.

16 minutes ago, NobbySolano said:

Saying it's top priority it's daft. It just says you don't know what you are talking about.

Fucking hell, what's getting into people recently ? Is it the sun or no signings ?

Football transfer season is like some social experiment. Alot seem to get disproportionately worked up by potential transfers or lack there of, despite us clearly being in a great position to strengthen the squad.

I always used to think it was because we were shite and people were just getting frustrated but apparently not...

59 minutes ago, NobbySolano said:

Saying it's top priority it's daft. It just says you don't know what you are talking about.

If having a natural centre back, who has no recovery pace and offers nothing going forward doesn't make left back a top priority I'm not sure what will.

That's not me hating on Burn either. But as we look to evolve Burn, Longstaff and Almiron look thr obvious places to start.

12 hours ago, madras said:

Just leave it altogether then ? I'd say its just as critical if you get the right player. Look at RB in our set up.

Exactly what not critical means. Given a limited/finite budget, LB shouldn't be prioritized over a 6/8/hybrid. 

If we go into next season with Dan Burn as starting LB but with Maddison and zsobo or a certain Italian midfielder, then I'll be beyond thrilled. 

If we can swing Tierney after that then cool. But honestly more interested in finding backup for Tripper. Way riskier and we haven't seen much from Ashby.