Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

:lol: I took a gander at Fat Sam's coaching record, as I couldn't recall his managerial accomplishments. Surely someone who won't shut the fuck up about how splendid of a manager he is would have something to show for it over 25 years of management. A cup maybe? Decent winning percentage?

He got two teams promoted from the Champo in 11 years. Career 39.4% winning percentage, lower than Pardew's even.

Guest firetotheworks

His achievements with Bolton remain impressive tbf. Now he's just a manager who's pretty good at making sure teams don't get relegated, but instead remain in a sort of miserable limbo at the bottom half of the league, which of course he champions as success.

:lol: I took a gander at Fat Sam's coaching record, as I couldn't recall his managerial accomplishments. Surely someone who won't shut the f*** up about how splendid of a manager he is would have something to show for it over 25 years of management. A cup maybe? Decent winning percentage?

He got two teams promoted from the Champo in 11 years. Career 39.4% winning percentage, lower than Pardew's even.

This is the arguement i use whenever someone says the likes of Pardew and Allardyce are "good" managers.  They've won literally fuck all, not even as players!  ;D

:lol: I took a gander at Fat Sam's coaching record, as I couldn't recall his managerial accomplishments. Surely someone who won't shut the f*** up about how splendid of a manager he is would have something to show for it over 25 years of management. A cup maybe? Decent winning percentage?

The man is an absolute fat fucking fraud. I've been banging on about this for years - "big Sam's teams might not be entertaining, but he knows how to grind out results" they say.

Bullshit, I say.

So many british managers obviously learn how to coach a physical bullish defence and then think that they've got keys to the kingdom and no need for much else.

It's clearly the easiest part of management/coaching though. There are so many mediocre managers who can set up a team to be hard to beat but when it comes to improving the creative/attacking side of things they fall flat on their arses, so their teams are just consistently boring as fuck - Pulis, Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew attempted it but he was even shit at that, Hodgson etc.

We're not entertaining to watch at the moment and Rafa is clearly a defensive manager but when he has the right players at his disposal (Torres, Alsono etc. for example) his teams are equally effective going forward. Same with Mourinho.

Allardyce is like the Red Adair of football management - teams bring him in when they are haemorrhaging goals and heading for the drop. Once he's stabilised things, his employers invariably replace him because he can't do anything beyond that (and he's completely repellent).

So many british managers obviously learn how to coach a physical bullish defence and then think that they've got keys to the kingdom and no need for much else.

It's clearly the easiest part of management/coaching though. There are so many mediocre managers who can set up a team to be hard to beat but when it comes to improving the creative/attacking side of things they fall flat on their arses, so their teams are just consistently boring as f*** - Pulis, Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew attempted it but he was even s*** at that, Hodgson etc.

We're not entertaining to watch at the moment and Rafa is clearly a defensive manager but when he has the right players at his disposal (Torres, Alsono etc. for example) his teams are equally effective going forward. Same with Mourinho.

Allardyce is like the Red Adair of football management - teams bring him in when they are haemorrhaging goals and heading for the drop. Once he's stabilised things, his employers invariably replace him because he can't do anything beyond that (and he's completely repellent).

Pardew couldn't even organise our team, whether that was because of the scatter gun buying of attacking players and neglecting defence from those above him or the simple fact he's a shocking manager that tells lie after lie about front foot attacking football, which I saw no evidence of.

Either be solid, organised and well balanced and look to take games by the odd goal or be good attacking and try and score more than them.

The reason I am overjoyed with Rafa is getting a squad playing professionally with tactics, organisation and hard to beat. It's so hard to just attack unless you are Man City. Chelsea, Man U and Spurs are all built off a good defence and organisation at back and centre. They just have a lot more quality in their teams.

I would love us to go out and batter teams relentlessly, however reality is that we need to be organised. The difference between the British managers and Rafa, Mourinho etc is that the forrins are excellent tactically, can coach and can manage players.

Guest Howaythetoon

It's clearly the easiest part of management/coaching though. There are so many mediocre managers who can set up a team to be hard to beat but when it comes to improving the creative/attacking side of things they fall flat on their arses, so their teams are just consistently boring as f*** - Pulis, Allardyce, Moyes, Pardew attempted it but he was even s*** at that, Hodgson etc.

The thing with Rafa is that he wants those 3 points, home or away, regardless of who we are playing. Thankfully he knows how to set a team up to defend and to be hard to beat, but to also be effective at the other end. Pardew et al rely on individual brilliance or set pieces to nick a win. The likes of him go into a game hoping for a point and its a disgrace really because its kind of like cheating the players and fans out of what the game is all about - winning.

The thing with Rafa is that he wants those 3 points, home or away, regardless of who we are playing. Thankfully he knows how to set a team up to defend and to be hard to beat, but to also be effective at the other end. Pardew et al rely on individual brilliance or set pieces to nick a win. The likes of him go into a game hoping for a point and its a disgrace really because its kind of like cheating the players and fans out of what the game is all about - winning.

Especially when you consider some of the teams Pardew did it against consistently ie. bottom half teams, relegation fodder etc. We should've been set up to try and batter teams like that but Pardew didn't have the balls or the skills to do that so he just tried to keep it tight and nick a win, with the likes of Williamson and Taylor at the back I might add.  At least the other anti-football protagonists generally succeed in keeping things tight at the back.

Rafa is just a realist - he knows we don't have the players to take the game to the opposition right now so he plays a brand of football that is compact and effective. When we get a decent #10 and a quality striker i imagine we'll be a bit more expansive.

It's clearly the easiest part of management/coaching though.

It's not like. Pardew, Carver, McClaren couldn't organise a damn thing.

Foreign managers tend to be much better at it. The few British managers that can do it have a decent shot of becoming England manager. It's that rare.