Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

The Sunderland post was actually quite good.  Honest assessment of the situation, for Sunderland and NE Football in general, without any RTG afflictions.

Yep, long time since I've read anything from a makem which didn't make me cringe. He even manages to mention us once or twice without trotting out the usual deluded mags nonsense. And no FTM anywhere in sight.

Must be a mag.

Usmanov owns 30%, right?  So that'd give him about £600m.

£400m to the fat man

£100m to Rafa

£100m on a new state of the art campus with training and medical facilities and an academy

Job's a good un.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45087444

Liverpool were the 'unluckiest' team in the Premier League last season while Manchester United were the 'luckiest', new research claims.

The Reds dropped 12 points in matches affected by wrongly disallowed goals or incorrect decisions on penalties and red cards, says a study conducted by ESPN, Intel and the University of Bath.

It says United gained six points over incidents that went in their favour.

Manchester City remain top in a new simulated table accounting for 'luck'.

However, the study found Huddersfield should have been relegated instead of Stoke when 'incorrect' refereeing decisions were taken into account.

It also found Brighton would have finished six places higher - moving up to ninth and earning an extra £11.5m in prize money on their return to the top flight.

Conversely, Leicester would have finished 14th instead of ninth, ending the season with £9.7m less in prize money.

Fourth-placed Liverpool would have swapped with second-placed United, and champions City fallen three points short of their 100 mark.

How did the 'Luck Index' work?

A research team collaborated with ex-Premier League referee Peter Walton, analysing footage from every game of the 2017-18 Premier League season and watching for:

Goals that should have been disallowed

Incorrectly disallowed goals

Incorrectly awarded penalties (that were scored)

Penalties that were not awarded but should have been

Incorrect red-card decisions

Red-card incidents that were missed

Goals scored after injury time overran

Deflected goals

Once incidents had been indentified, an alternative outcome of the affected matches was predicted, using a model that also considered factors including team strength, form, and home advantage.

For example: in Liverpool's 0-0 draw with Manchester United at Anfield on 14 October, the study concluded Jurgen Klopp's side should have been awarded a penalty in the 63rd minute, and the new simulated scoreline was a 1-0 victory for the home side.

And, while Leicester gained seven points compared to Manchester United's six according to the 'Luck Index', the Red Devils' points came from fewer incidents, giving them a greater points-per-incident ratio.

Once the process was completed, the Premier League table was redrawn to reflect the new simulated results.

The research team analysed over 150 incidents and also found:

Leicester scored three goals after injury time overran - more than any other side.

Huddersfield's John Smith's Stadium saw the most deflected goals - five. Two of those worked in the Terriers' favour.

Matt Ritchie was the 'luckiest player'. The Newcastle winger avoided two red cards, while a handball in the box against Leicester went unnoticed.

Assistant Professor Thomas Curran from the University of Bath said each game was simulated "thousands of times to model how it should have turned out".

He said the project was "one of the most detailed pieces of research we have ever conducted".

Former referee Walton added: "The results demonstrate the impact and importance of refereeing decisions on a game.

"With the Premier League deciding not to introduce VAR for the coming season, it is interesting to see how much luck plays a part in the way the league unfolds."

10de9628a7df23d527d5784f20bca461.png

•  A detailed mathematical forecasting model was built by the team at the University of Bath to predict the outcomes of each game controlled for:

o Time of incident

o Penalty conversion rates

o Red card coefficients

•  Other factors taken into account for forecasting were:

o Team strength

o Form

o Home advantage

Just feels like a colossal waste of time. At least Intel got to plug their products, I suppose.

Guest firetotheworks

Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Man United is exactly how the table should have been last season like. It still blows my mind that Man United finished ahead of Liverpool and Spurs.

Man City, Liverpool, Spurs, Man United is exactly how the table should have been last season like. It still blows my mind that Man United finished ahead of Liverpool and Spurs.

The pair of them were behind Manchester United in the table after every single matchday last season, so personally, it is fairly easy for me to understand. :lol: Obviously, the football was unimpressive compared to the other two.

The article says Ritchie was the luckiest player in the league, avoiding two red cards. Does anyone know what incidents they are referring to?

Guest firetotheworks

The pair of them were behind Manchester United in the table after every single matchday last season, so personally, it is fairly easy for to understand. :lol:

The article says Ritchie was the luckiest player in the league, avoiding two red cards. Does anyone know what incidents they are referring to?

That just makes it even more mind-blowing. :lol:

The pair of them were behind Manchester United in the table after every single matchday last season, so personally, it is fairly easy for me to understand. [emoji38] Obviously, the football was unimpressive compared to the other two.

High boot against Swansea was it? Alfie Mawson? Can't think of the other.

Although he was on the receiving end of what should have been a red card (Rooney forearm to the face iirc)

My little lad, only two, saw the Newcastle badge this morning and said "Look Dad, Football United!" Can't believe how happy I am  :lol: I didn't think I'd be that sort of parent, but hey whatever.  :lol: :lol:

My little lad, only two, saw the Newcastle badge this morning and said "Look Dad, Football United!" Can't believe how happy I am  :lol: I didn't think I'd be that sort of parent, but hey whatever.  :lol: :lol:

Class. Only reason I'd want a kid is for stuff like that  :lol:

From Jermaine Pennants autobiography

You get drunk, you talk to every bird, pull one, take her home and next day at training you tell the lads all about it.

They ask questions and you’re telling them: “She was filth, she did this, she loved it.”

That’s what they want. They don’t want to be digging in their purses and buying their own drinks at the bar: they’d rather sit with footballers and get free drinks all night. They’re coming over to get drunk and have some fun.

They know about you, your profile. They’re thinking: “It’d be nice to bag a footballer.”

What they don’t yet know is that you are literally going to take them home or to a hotel, have sex, do all sorts, and probably won’t speak to them again. We don’t care, and the reality is that we just want a sh*g.

We used to call it Monopoly. You have your “properties”, all different standards. You’ve got Mayfair (top quality) and Old Kent Road (the lower standard – no one wants to be there).

So we would gauge each girl as a property on the Monopoly board. If she was fit and famous then she’s high property, worth a lot, possibly Bond Street or Mayfair.

Then there was a girl a lot of the lads had been with and she would be Old Kent Road. You get the gist.

It worked like this. If I slept with any girl and then any of the other lads slept with her afterwards, they would have to pay me “rent”: if she was Mayfair, they would have to pay me £100; for Old Kent Road it would be £14.

I remember one of the lads coming up to me and saying: “Here’s 14 quid.” I started laughing and just went, “Old Kent Road!”

Then, out of the blue, one of the lads would say to me: “J, you owe me some money.” I’d ask why and they’d say, “Lucy – you owe me £20.”

The number of times Ashley Cole and I had threesomes! He lived in Canary Wharf and I forget the girl’s name now, but we brought her back and she was just up for it. We were high-fiving each other over her back. We had a little tea break and then went at it again. They just don’t care.