Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

22 hours ago, madras said:

There's a great book "Home and Away" by Karl Ove Knausgaard and Frederik Ekelund and it's their letters to each other about football and life and culture, Karl loving the dour, workmanlike game and Frederik (living in Brazil) the exuberant and reckless. Think you'd like it.

Gonna take a look, sounds interesting. Last great sports book I read was "Senna vs Prost", anyone  who's a fan of one should read this book.

40 minutes ago, JNK said:

Gonna take a look, sounds interesting. Last great sports book I read was "Senna vs Prost", anyone  who's a fan of one should read this book.

Watched Ayrton Senna die live man :weep:

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Watched Ayrton Senna die live man :weep:

On the track? That must've been rough. I was watching live, but on tv :'(

I was a 4y old, I remember the accident but only got what really happened the next day when I came home from school and his funeral was on tv, hit me like a truck. Cryed for days, I had a collection of every f1 car he ever drove made of wood at the time, for years I coudn't hear the "victory theme" the tv plays when a brazilian wins a race whithout crying, even today it brings me back. 

My first and biggest idol, to this day.

Read all his biographies, I also have a hardcover book that even has copies of his school grade sheets. amazing stuff. 

That Senna vs Prost book is one of the best I ever read, highly recommend it.

23 minutes ago, JNK said:

On the track? That must've been rough. I was watching live, but on tv :'(

I was a 4y old, I remember the accident but only got what really happened the next day when I came home from school and his funeral was on tv, hit me like a truck. Cryed for days, I had a collection of every f1 car he ever drove made of wood at the time, for years I coudn't hear the "victory theme" the tv plays when a brazilian wins a race whithout crying, even today it brings me back. 

My first and biggest idol, to this day.

Read all his biographies, I also have a hardcover book that even has copies of his school grade sheets. amazing stuff. 

That Senna vs Prost book is one of the best I ever read, highly recommend it.

On telly I must had, horrific either way and what a legend. I loved F1 in those days!

6 hours ago, Ben said:

Stanley to Sunniside to Lobbly Hill, to Redhuegh bridge along the duel carrigeway 18 mins

:lol: Why bother with Route 66, the sweeping coastal roads of the Amalfi Coast or the Icelandic ring road when you can take the pleasurable drive between the thriving metropolis' of Stanley and Sunniside - finishing off with a pint of Carling in the latter's social clerb?

11 minutes ago, number37 said:

County Durham is weird though. I once had to drive through Thornley and I was getting flashbacks to my time in Pripyat. 

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] I'm not from here but I live in Thornley. It's not that bad. Certainly not as bad as Wheatley Hill or god forbid.... Shotton Colliery. That place makes the ridges look like Beverly Hills.

3 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] I'm not from here but I live in Thornley. It's not that bad. Certainly not as bad as Wheatley Hill or god forbid.... Shotton Colliery. That place makes the ridges look like Beverly Hills.

Yeah, perhaps I'm a wee bit strong in my comparison - I am from Ashington, after all! I think it's the expanse of the county where there's miles and miles of fields and hills and then all of a sudden a town/village that maybe doesn't quite fit the scenery. 

Again, I'm from south east Northumberland so we're all acutely aware of why our particular towns have maybe seen better days. I just like poking fun at our southern cousins, we're all cut from the same cloth and I wouldn't have it any other way. You can keep Sunderland though ;)

7 minutes ago, number37 said:

Yeah, perhaps I'm a wee bit strong in my comparison - I am from Ashington, after all! I think it's the expanse of the county where there's miles and miles of fields and hills and then all of a sudden a town/village that maybe doesn't quite fit the scenery. 

Again, I'm from south east Northumberland so we're all acutely aware of why our particular towns have maybe seen better days. I just like poking fun at our southern cousins, we're all cut from the same cloth and I wouldn't have it any other way. You can keep Sunderland though ;)

I was born in North Shields and grew up in Monkseaton/Whitley Bay. The bloke who ran the Newsagents where I did my paper round was from Ashington. We used to piss ourselves laughing at him whenever he spoke. Class days. The northeast man, what a mint place it is really.

Just now, pedro111 said:

I was born in North Shields and grew up in Monkseaton/Whitley Bay. The bloke who ran the Newsagents where I did my paper round was from Ashington. We used to piss ourselves laughing at him whenever he spoke. Class days. The northeast man, what a mint place it is really.

Couldn't agree more! We're canny, like. 

5 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Actually, it wasn't Cecil Irwin was it who ran the newsagents? I'm sure he had one back in Ashington on Woodhorn Road and my Grandad always said he had more. 

See, culture like this is why Bruno has signed. 

9 minutes ago, number37 said:

Actually, it wasn't Cecil Irwin was it who ran the newsagents? I'm sure he had one back in Ashington on Woodhorn Road and my Grandad always said he had more. 

See, culture like this is why Bruno has signed. 

I'm racking my brains but cannot remember his name but I'm sure it wasn't Cecil. He had curly hair iirc. Can still remember my confusion one time when he asked me if I was "working tomorrow?" I was thinking why's he asking me if I'm walking for? He knaas I always ride me bike!  He was a canny bloke though. He chipped me PS1 and sold us games for the price of a blank cd.

2 hours ago, pedro111 said:

Shotton Colliery doesnt look too bad on googlemaps - in fact it appears to have a disproportionate number of bungalows.

Never been there like but the ridges/meadowell is no where near as bad as it used to be but still looks rougher.

8 hours ago, BlueStar said:

Someone should look into his history to see if he’s a serial animal abuser, those that abuse animals tend to be psychopaths and most serial killers loved to torture and abuse animals.