Still not worthy of a thread

Yorkie

29 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

https://dean-magazine.ghost.io/the-cold-dead-world-of-the-extremely-online-liverpool-fan/

Interesting piece on Liverpool, but it applies to all clubs. We've seen it from some of our lot of late.

A good read that, especially the bit about the Commodity Fetishism that you also see in gaming and with brands in general. The line between consumer and supporter is a really strange, blurred one like. 

18 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

A good read that, especially the bit about the Commodity Fetishism that you also see in gaming and with brands in general. The line between consumer and supporter is a really strange, blurred one like. 

I like to convince myself it is simply confined to kids with keyboards that have never even seen the outside of a Premier League stadium never mind been in one. The sad reality is that it probably isn't that and the consequence of social media, video games, and the general dehumanising of the game. There are times the whole thing feels like numbers on a screen and that our experience is only ever either positive or negative. You're either winning or losing. A few losses speaks to a fundamentally broken club while a few wins is the sign of some special sauce that has taken so much time to concoct. 

The club's are no angels mind you. They'll flog you everything from a limited edition third kit that is worn once to digital tokens that you can trade for a gif of Mo Salah. I think the Keegan idea of football being the consequence of a hard week at work is diminishing year on year. Now it feels more like a ubiquitous accompaniment to the week. Like with the rolling news cycle the rise of podcasts and YouTube channels means you can live in the world of your team every day and when anything becomes that engrained it will ultimately produce wild - and often irrational - responses. 

51 minutes ago, La Parka said:

When the bombs start dropping I won't get a chance to say this, so thanks all for the company for the last 25 years. This place has been my second home. 

Good Luck and best wishes to you and family! Hope you will be posting soon!

Kind of feel like we are to blame in not having decision makers with enough balls to stand up to the despot over in Moscow. Poor play from EU and UK...

7 hours ago, La Parka said:

When the bombs start dropping I won't get a chance to say this, so thanks all for the company for the last 25 years. This place has been my second home. 

Ah, hope you and your family and friends are safe @La Parkaand we are rooting for you pal, if you need to chat you know where we are, stay safe brother!

:lol: there's one or two moments of absolute brilliance. The backwards header at the end was a terrific bit of instinct/application of the knowledge that the goalkeeper was going to be a million miles from anywhere useful.