Gonçalo Ramos

Rich

28 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Would be an exciting signing, wouldn’t necessarily improve the starting 11 currently. Attacking midfielder or winger more important to bring in imo.

While I totally agree. Looking at the bench today Murphy, longstaff and wood aren’t coming on to change a game. We need more quality in the squad. 

Just now, Shak said:

Aye sounds like the guy can play on the wing and if he's got anything about him at all you'd like to think he'd offer more than Murphy did today coming on for ASM.

You don’t want him on the wing though, I’m fed up of this tendency to put a forward on the wing with the assumption he’ll cut in and finish chances. It makes for a worse player and a worse squad to be honest.

1 minute ago, Shak said:

Aye sounds like the guy can play on the wing and if he's got anything about him at all you'd like to think he'd offer more than Murphy did today coming on for ASM.

Not sure he can play on the wing at all based on all the reports and write ups on him.

53 minutes ago, gdm said:

While I totally agree. Looking at the bench today Murphy, longstaff and wood aren’t coming on to change a game. We need more quality in the squad. 

Exactly what I felt. Wasn't anything we could do going forward that would improve anything. Only switch to five at the back or something. Were looking at Murphy/Anderson/Fraser for ASM/Miggy for tired legs v freshness really  at the moment and get very nervous when players go down for that reason.

Even bringing Wood on, when nobody's getting crosses in is redundant.

Edited by Wolfcastle

Those of you who are saying Ramos or a.n.other striker is less important than a right winger or centre mid - it's worth reminding you all that Wilson has only been fit to feature in 46/78 (59%) PL fixtures since he signed for the club. As it stands we're statistically likely to see Wood start 16 games this season. A striker is absolutely fucking critical IMO.

Just now, Pilko said:

Those of you who are saying Ramos or a.n.other striker is less important than a right winger or centre mid - it's worth reminding you all that Wilson has only been fit to feature in 46/78 (59%) PL fixtures since he signed for the club. As it stands we're statistically likely to see Wood start 16 games this season. A striker is absolutely fucking critical IMO.

It’s definitely critical, but say we sign this lad and Wilson gets injured and he comes in, we are still going to be in the same position as lacking anyone with the ability to create a chance.

10 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It’s definitely critical, but say we sign this lad and Wilson gets injured and he comes in, we are still going to be in the same position as lacking anyone with the ability to create a chance.

Wilson's PL record for us is a couple of goals short of 1 in 2 and that spans the Bruce era and only includes 3 games since Howe sorted us out properly. A good enough striker will still score goals in our current side with Bruno and Trippier looking to create, whereas we know Wood can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

Give us a creative CM and a right winger but Wood still only gets you a couple of goals max in those 16 games he's likely to play. I'd back a proper striker to get more in our current side within that number of games.

10 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Wilson's PL record for us is a couple of goals short of 1 in 2 and that spans the Bruce era and only includes 3 games since Howe sorted us out properly. A good enough striker will still score goals in our current side with Bruno and Trippier looking to create, whereas we know Wood can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

Give us a creative CM and a right winger but Wood still only gets you a couple of goals max in those 16 games he's likely to play. I'd back a proper striker to get more in our current side within that number of games.

I think either way we are going to be short, unless we bring in both positions 

We're not really short in numbers, We're are short in quality however. Murphy and Wood being examples of our cover who are adequate, but nowhere near where we want to be.

We can't build it all at once, it's a slow burner.....build the spine on a solid base, and that is taking place.

Pope, Botman, Bruno and Wilson.....then build around that, with good full backs, Targett and Trippier. Wilson's injury issues should be factored in, so a third central striker would be ideal if possible.

Of the existing squad, the other CB's and CM's are OK for us to concentrate on the wide forwards. So another wide forward is needed, if a striker or another CM comes up at the right price we'll still sign them imo.

But if we can't sign anyone that fits the build in price and character, and character is a big thing for Eddie, we're OK until the next window with small progression, something we can see is taking place.

Edited by Bimpy474

I appreciate its not all about goals but ASM, Migi, Fraser and Murphy contributed 5, 2, 1, and 1 from 31, 19, 18 and 13 appearances.

We may have finished the season in top4 form but we should,  surely,  be expecting more from our wingers in a 433? No? 

30 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

I appreciate its not all about goals but ASM, Migi, Fraser and Murphy contributed 5, 2, 1, and 1 from 31, 19, 18 and 13 appearances.

We may have finished the season in top4 form but we should,  surely,  be expecting more from our wingers in a 433? No? 

9 in 81 - or a goal every 9 games from a winger. Lifting that.

20 hours ago, Pilko said:

Don't need Wood when you've got 59% of Wilson behind you.