Alexander Isak

Disco

Just now, Beren said:

Not calling for Howe's head, or anything close to that, but his approach to bedding Isak into the team has objectively been proved wrong IMO. Unless Isak has a chronic conditioning issue.

Mistakes are as serious as the results they cause, and it feels like we've missed an opportunity to get Isak to gel in a new attack by persisting with Wilson when it just wasn't working or even showing signs of turning around.

Aye, I have been thinking similar. I understood his bedding in of Bruno given we were deep in a relegation fight at the time, but Isak just has to be on the pitch. He's had 3 starts since his return from injury on 6 January, its now almost March.

27 minutes ago, Beren said:

Not calling for Howe's head, or anything close to that, but his approach to bedding Isak into the team has objectively been proved wrong IMO. Unless Isak has a chronic conditioning issue.

Mistakes are as serious as the results they cause, and it feels like we've missed an opportunity to get Isak to gel in a new attack by persisting with Wilson when it just wasn't working or even showing signs of turning around.

The guy has been out injured a lot of the time, and so it has been stop start with him, as he can't just be thrown straight back in with the longer term injuries he's had as his fitness wasn't up to par.

Why are we acting as though he's just been kept on the bench for fun?

4 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Needs to start, this has been going on for months now.

For goodness sake man :lol:

Have you guys just forgotten he was out injured for long periods? Or am I missing something here? :lol:

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

The guy has been out injured a lot of the time, and so it has been stop start with him, as he can't just be thrown straight back in with the longer term injuries he's had as his fitness wasn't up to par.

Why are we acting as though he's just been kept on the bench for fun?

My post said "unless he has a chronic conditioning issue".

16 minutes ago, KaKa said:

For goodness sake man :lol:

Have you guys just forgotten he was out injured for long periods? Or am I missing something here? :lol:

Started against Sheff Wed, 7 weeks ago. Meanwhile, Wilson’s been average, and that’s being kind.

Has so much quality, it jumps off the screen. So elegant moving with the ball, but I don't think Howe has figured out how to best use him. 

Think he's looked best coming on to play off Wilson like he did today and when he bagged that winner vs Fulham. Allows him to ghost around, pick up the ball deep and use his pace, and technical ability to create.

Playing him as the lone striker asking him to bang around with big strong center halves in the box is a waste of his abilities. 

Would have to think he'd get a run in the team now. There's an argument to be made with sticking with Wilson in the run-up to the final, playing the team that got us there etc., but Wilson looks shot now and needs a rest as much as anything.

1 hour ago, Beren said:

Well said. Time to persevere with him.

I don’t think he’s physical enough to play as a one man up top so either we play two up front or he’s converted into a 10 or a winger.

He’s a very good footballer so he needs to be in the team 

Edited by Sima

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

I don’t think he’s ready to lead the line by himself but maybe it’s worth trying it now. 

Maybe I’m being knee jerk. But if he was still here I would be tempted to play Isak with Wood. As it is, Wilson offers nothing so might as well go Isak yo top by himself. 

Agreed re Isak and Wood. But Isak has looked pretty uninspiring on his own, too. I think we need to rework a large part of our approach right now.

Hoping every game for the rest of the season is treated as a cup final now, with us trying whatever we think will work on the day, tactically-speaking.

Was a tough call for Eddie with it being a final. I'm sure Isak will play a lot more going forward now. 

He started Bournemouth away and played like Shola wearing Berens shoes. He was awful. 

Clearly massively talented but the front three are on completely different wavelengths regardless of who starts in the middle. I'd be tempted to try Gordon out left and Maxi behind Isak. We need something different. Swapping out one striker for another alone won't do a whole lot imo. 

This man cost us £65m and he simply has to find his place in the team. Sick of this Wilson starting over him craic now. Wilson’s been off it since he got his spot in the World Cup team. Isak is our future and it’s Howe’s job to be getting a tune out of him now.