Alexander Isak

Disco

Just now, Ikon said:

Because both players have tons of experience in the PL as well as a preseason (Pope). Not saying that Isak won’t start or that I wouldn’t start him. Just wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the bench to begin with, especially since we are playing Liverpool away, even if that might not make much of a difference. Ability wise he should start Isak, no doubt. Howe might be thinking more long term though. 

They can bring him when we're down 4-0 to reduce the pressure on him.......:shifty:

Guest HTT II
4 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

People seem obsessed with Howe not putting people in straight away, but I think it's more to do with not changing a winning team and keeping faith with those who have done well so far. It's about morale, letting people know that if they keep doing what's asked of them their place is safe.

Like when we bought Bruno, we were in the middle of a great run so he kept keeping the faith with the same midfield and perhaps rightly so. I'm sure if we get horsed tonight with Isak on the bench, he'll start at the weekend.

But if by some miracle we beat Liverpool with Wood starting, then Wood will start again V Palace. It has little to nothing to do with "easing people in".

At some point though, you have to be brave and make a decision by starting someone even if they’ve just signed. I trust Howe though!

3 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Like when we bought Bruno, we were in the middle of a great run so he kept keeping the faith with the same midfield and perhaps rightly so. I'm sure if we get horsed tonight with Isak on the bench, he'll start at the weekend.

Not really, we had beaten Leeds and then Bruno was available for the following game (Everton at home). Howe was pretty clear that he didn't want to throw Bruno in till he had a chance to fully come up to speed. Now, I actually think Isak's skillset is actually a little more 'plug and play' with the Premier League so wouldn't be shocked if he is starting by the weekend. But I will be shocked if he is starting tonight.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Wood hasn't done well though so Isak should start tonight.

It's about the team, not the individual. If you're part of a successful team, you start the next game if you're fit. That's how he seems to play it.

He only makes changes after defeats, or when forced to if the team won previously. Bruno was kept out of the team until after the Brighton match last year because we kept winning, and only got his first start vs Southampton because Joelinton was unavailable for selection - think he was suspended?

3 minutes ago, HTT II said:

At some point though, you have to be brave and make a decision by starting someone even if they’ve just signed. I trust Howe though!

Why though?

If the team keeps winning, why do you NEED to change it? Just wait until they lose. Or if they never lose, guess that's OK too?

It stops players thinking "Well why did I bother, we won and I still got dropped". Makes perfect sense to me.

Don't get me wrong from a fan perspective and just looking at this match in isolation I'd love to see Isak start tonight. But I'm almost certain he won't, and I understand from a bigger picture why it could be the right way for Howe to approach it.

Can’t wait to see him play for us, shame his first match is in a game where we’re unlikely to have a lot of the ball but we’ve got some good fixtures coming up. SJP is going to be wild when he scores his first goal there 

10 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Not quite the same thing though. 

It's not, but it's not the same as Bruno or Botman either. Lot less risk with throwing a forward in just to see what they can do. Bruno and Botman form a much more important role in how the team operates as a unit.

2 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

It's about the team, not the individual. If you're part of a successful team, you start the next game if you're fit. That's how he seems to play it.

He only makes changes after defeats, or when forced to if the team won previously. Bruno was kept out of the team until after the Brighton match last year because we kept winning, and only got his first start vs Southampton because Joelinton was unavailable for selection - think he was suspended?

I get that, but we were only successful against Wolves once Wood left the pitch. Plus I can't bear watching him, so I am hoping beyond hope Howe will leave him out [emoji38]

8 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Because both players have tons of experience in the PL as well as a preseason (Pope). Not saying that Isak won’t start or that I wouldn’t start him. Just wouldn’t be surprised to see him on the bench to begin with, especially since we are playing Liverpool away, even if that might not make much of a difference. Ability wise he should start Isak, no doubt. Howe might be thinking more long term though. 

Nah, you're right - and think you will be proven correct come KO. Just wanna see our new bloke tbh :lol:

9 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

You'll have to take me through how that leads you to think I want to play Isak as a winger.

Fair assumption to make imo when you quote me on a post where I say we shouldn't use him as a winger, arguing for why he'd do well on the wing.

Either way, you've clarified your position so no point wasting more time on it :thup:

Guest HTT II
8 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Why though?

If the team keeps winning, why do you NEED to change it? Just wait until they lose. Or if they never lose, guess that's OK too?

It stops players thinking "Well why did I bother, we won and I still got dropped". Makes perfect sense to me.

Don't get me wrong from a fan perspective and just looking at this match in isolation I'd love to see Isak start tonight. But I'm almost certain he won't, and I understand from a bigger picture why it could be the right way for Howe to approach it.

Just for one, to freshen things up…

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

Wood has already started 2 games in the last 7 days and he's hardly mobile at the best of times. Starting him tonight seems insane. 

Starting with no strikers would be even more insane though, surely? Maybe start Isak as the main striker but I wouldn't expect it for his first match away at Anfield.

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

Just for one, to freshen things up…

But if you keep winning, you don't need to. :lol:

I'm not saying Howe is right, or that he's wrong. Just that I'm fairly sure that this is how he's playing it, and that I at least understand his reasoning. And it seems to be working with all the players completely behind him from what I can tell.