Loris Karius

NWMag

37 minutes ago, STM said:

If Karius is deemed good enough they will extend this to the end of the season. Bringing back Dubravka would be a last resort IMO.

There's no ruling out that Karius might impress enough in training to get a long term deal as our number 2.

I would love him to get a redemption arc with us. His loans have all been quite terrible. But if he gets a Joelinton redemption and turns in to a fucking class keeper to battle it out with Pope. What an amazing turn of events it would be to see.

It's a good signing and probably the best of the best as back up. I mean he was good enough to start a champion league final a few years ago. Obviously question marks remain about how he has dealt with his confidence issues but who better when you need encouragement than working under Howe. 

5 hours ago, TRon said:

No idea who this Karius is, but Darlow is nowhere near as bad as people make out.

He's not actually. Was watching those clips of Callum Wilson's best goals, which turned out to be full highlights of the games, and you can see he made some good saves. Think Howe could have got him confident again, but he's out of the equation for now. 

I've not a scooby what level Gillespie is at, and you'd think a keeper that played the CL final would be better, but what's this about a head injury?

What's also crazy is that he's only 29, younger than Pope even. Definitely got time to sort himself out here and gain in value and confidence.

Normally when you're getting a freebie out of season it's a 38 year old Maik Taylor type. 

Happy enough with this, if the guy can sort his confidence and head out he could be a good asset and push Pope which will keep him sharp. My concern is that all that stuff with Liverpool was a few years ago and he does seem to have struggled since, are the mental scars too deep?.

I hope not as we could have picked up a good player for nowt, and if he does get his form back and Eddie sorts him out then you would expect him to become quite loyal to the club and be a good long term player for us.

Think we made a mistake to not go for Fraser Forster who would have made a very good back up and would have ticked off academy-grown criteria. Let’s face it - that is the main reason why Gillespie is here.

16 minutes ago, James said:

Think we made a mistake to not go for Fraser Forster who would have made a very good back up and would have ticked off academy-grown criteria. Let’s face it - that is the main reason why Gillespie is here.

Did Spurs not have Foster lined up long before he actually signed 

This guy had a very promissing carrer till that UCL final.

Crippling depression can ruin everything you hold dear if not taken care off. 

As someone who needed a total 180 degrees turn to overcame mental health issues I love seeing people like Karius getting second chances and working hard for recovery!

If any coach in the EPL can make him play when even Klopp couldn't I belive it's Howe. His work with the toons is simply (as the 9th doctor used to say) Fantastic! 

Remember chortling in the CL final and then feeling a little bad at the end when he was so distraught and begging the fans for forgiveness. 

Was the heir to the German goalkeeping throne and rated as one of the best young keepers in the world for the longest time. The previous loans didn't work very well but he has spent a lot of time and effort getting himself back into arguably the best shape of his life and mentally too. Would be an incredible story if Howe could get him back on track.

We will likely see him in the cup. Hope he gets a good reception and welcome. 

Yeah, think it's a decent move for him tbh.

It's been a few years since the incident now, and there's a lot less pressure for where we are as a club at the minute, and he won't be playing every game week in and week out.

Also, has a really good set of defenders in front of him even when we play our second team.

Really hope he does well. Much too young and had too much talent to just get thrown away over that one game.

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Strange decision by Foster, is he retiring?

Thought he already had. Seems like he's been around forever.

Having looked up can see why though....he's pushing 40, and seems to have a nice set up down South. Not worth relocating for 6 months to sit on a bench when you're probably about to retire

Edited by gjohnson

13 minutes ago, jack j said:

Cant see out on skysports news about Karius like?

Is it back on now? I checked Sky Sports yesterday and this morning and they were still doing historical montage videos of Her Majesty.

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

Is it back on now? I checked Sky Sports yesterday and this morning and they were still doing historical montage videos of Her Majesty.

Nah I was looking for him outside Buckingham Palace but couldn't see his blonde locks