Manchester United 0-0 Newcastle United (16/10/2022)

Disco

4 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Thought we were better first half, they were better second half - both sides missed sitters and both had what looked like legit pen claims waved away. Draw a fair result and a good point gained for us.

Pretty much.

46 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

They have a better squad than ours, but we have the better manager.

They do still have a better squad and it showed. Murphy's not good enough in games like this one, don't think he provided anything in the final third. If Maxi or Isak were fit could have been a win for us I reckon

So amazing to watch us be competitive in these type of fixtures not sit back and expect to take it. Draw was the fair result. Thought they were going to score at the death, the almost had us on the ropes but we were well organized and held well.

Love me some Dan Burn but can he be told not to grab the opposition on every opportunity. It's going to cost us soon.

Looking forward to easing Jonjo back in. We will need the squad this week and next.

Great point first and foremost. These injuries are killing us though and I thought we looked shagged quite early on which is a shame as they had a game midweek and we didn't. Maybe I saw it wrong but I hoped we would be strong to the finish.

1 hour ago, Pilko said:

Thought we were better first half, they were better second half - both sides missed sitters and both had what looked like legit pen claims waved away. Draw a fair result and a good point gained for us.

This. Apart from I don’t recall them having a very good shout for a penalty. Sancho tangle I’m guessing? Or Trippier on Ronaldo?

Another tough point ground out away from home with another clean sheet in the bag too. A point at Old Trafford is never a bad result tbh and it could easily have been more. We desperately need a bit of luck with these injuries as the starting XIs are pretty weak and there's no options off the bench right now but these things happen and we can't complain.

We're beginning to punch our weight now, the signings we've made look really good (Wood aside) and the fringe players are just about delivering but it can't and won't last imo. Quality, or lack of it, will tell eventually but the systems and organisation Howe's got in place and the defensive coaching is papering over those cracks. We need to add more quality (we will) and get/keep players fit (we will) but we might just need to batten down the hatches until after the WC. Need to focus on the positives until then though.

I was at the game today, surprised with Craig Pawson he actually didn't screw us over constantly for a change, apart from the clear pen but then they had one that looked a pen also that he waved off. I'm surprised VAR didn't screw us over for their pen shout. I assume they want to stay out of it unless it's life and death.

Thought Longstaff while severely lacking quality put in 100%, no wonder he was knackered tbh.

Bruno did about as good as he could with all the man marking away from home and against two CDMs.

I think it's a very good result.

We had no cutting edge, I don't get the obsession with playing down the wing to get to the byline to cross, there was 10+ times when Almiron or someone else could have crossed it in but didn't, I assume they view it as pointless with only Wilson in the box, that needs to be addressed.

Willock added a lot of energy and could have won us the game with a better pass or cross but his end product is abysmal.

Almiron for his flaws was good again, can't fault the effort.

Also our players went down a LOT, not sure if gamesmanship or everyone is just one challenge away from death.

We're just lacking quality, everything else is there regarding commitment and organisation and the quality will come with fresh additions.

Read a couple of comments from their lot saying they win that if Martial and Eriksen were playing. I think we definitely win that with a fully fit St Max and Isak.

Cracking point when you consider who they’ve beaten at home already and we had 2 massive players missing.

8 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Tifo seem to think we dominated most of the match and were unlucky not to win. Very odd considering we were battered.

https://youtu.be/wacZTdPrYDI

Two super expensive wide players who wouldn't go to the byline was obvious even three beers in. Ten Haag could at least have switched them for a bit. Tifo is probably correct to highlight that their inability to play through the press prevented them the kind of 4 v 4 attacks their forwards would thrive on. Their fans may rue the absence of Eriksen to magically do something with a wonderball, but the Brazilian double pivot successfully snuffed out Bruno, and limited our attacking to mostly set pieces.

No Maxi meant no defenders being sucked out to leave space for Wilson. No getting dribbled past either. We struggled to get Trippier up the pitch, so he only contributed from dead balls. They had most of the ball but their midfielders committed 8 fouls compared to 4 by ours, another reason why we struggled to get anything fluid going in open play.

Seeing the clip of the Wilson penalty claim again on twitter this morning and I’m not sure how VAR can look at that and not give a pen. It looks a pretty straight forward decision.

For balance I think Longstaff was lucky not to have that one given again him too. You swing your foot in the box like that and don’t touch the ball then you’re asking for it. 

Seeing the analysis on MOTD2, if Ten Hag had played Sancho on Antony on the opposite flanks they might have caused a few more problems. A few times Antony outpaced Burn and then either tried something daft with the outside of his left boot or had to cut back which allowed Burn to get back into position. 

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think they were both pens.

Sancho didn’t help himself with the ridiculous dive like. If he’d gone down without the theatrics I think he’d have got the pen.

Agree that they were probably both pens. 

Edited by bowlingcrofty

1 minute ago, bowlingcrofty said:

Sancho didn’t help himself with the ridiculous dive live. If he’d gone down without the theatrics I think he’d have got the pen.

Agree that they were probably both pens. 

One of those where I reckon you should be able to give the pen but still book Sancho for the theatrics.

34 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Is that after Ronaldo claimed that free kick ‘goal’? Thought it marked a new low for Man Utd that, an incredible and embarrassing display of inept classlessness 

You really going to say that after there was a Newcastle player on the deck every 5 minutes trying to disrupt the game? :lol: You have a long way to go.

Its like it used to be, maybe the current man utd squad are now trying to "get the clubs dna"? How refs just let them do it, i dont know. Bruno is laughable, one yellow for protesting would calm it down a bit.

Edited by soyt