Title - o - metre  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Where will we finish?

• 1st
    • 2nd
    • 3rd
    • 4th

This poll is closed to new votes

For the most part, I've been largely ignoring us as serious contenders for 4th, I just keep falling back on the assumption that the usual teams will eventually nudge us out but....

I was listening to Jamie O'Hara talking about how apart from Son and Kane, we have a better first team than Spurs and while I'd argue Kulsevski (sp) and Hojberg would possibly get in there too, he made an excellent point.

Are we actually underestimating the strength of our first 11? If we keep our best players fit, perhaps we are capable of getting all the way to May.

31 minutes ago, STM said:

For the most part, I've been largely ignoring us as serious contenders for 4th, I just keep falling back on the assumption that the usual teams will eventually nudge us out but....

I was listening to Jamie O'Hara talking about how apart from Son and Kane, we have a better first team than Spurs and while I'd argue Kulsevski (sp) and Hojberg would possibly get in there too, he made an excellent point.

Are we actually underestimating the strength of our first 11? If we keep our best players fit, perhaps we are capable of getting all the way to May.

I'm actually struggling to think of how we add real quality to this team in January to be honest. I wouldn't swap any of our back 5 for anyone. Bruno is the best in the world. We've already got Isak to come in up front, and Almiron reliving Cissé's post-signing purple patch. Maybe a couple in the middle alongside Bruno, and some genuine competition on the wings?

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't bring any big names in in January, just some exciting prospects that can keep pushing the first team and come in and do a job meanwhile. Maintaining the team's togetherness and work ethic is paramount and I don't think Howe would want that jeopardised for the sake of a trophy signing.

As it stands we still have Darlow, Karius, Dummett, Lewis, Manquillo, Ritchie, Fraser, Wood and Murphy in the squad and replacing these with significantly better needs to be a priority .Some of that list are better than others and some are serviceable players who could come in and do a decent enough job for 3 or 4 games but I wouldn't want to rely on. Some are just flat-out not good enough. If we're aiming for European football next season then we need depth and that means moving most of that lot on for better

2 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Good point @midds

Backups for: GK, RB, LB, CM, Wingers are needed at some point. 

Would say that RB back up is a high priority with Kraft out.

Trippier won't be having a break during the WC, so would like to see us bring in a back up just incase the worst happens. Although, it's unlikely we'll be able to replace the leadership he brings.

Problem is, we can't really sign "back ups" in the tradional sense. We need to sign those who can challenge to start or young players who we can develop.

Getting rid of Richie, Lewis and Dummett (will probably take a back room role), will ultimately put us in a place where we need a left sided of player. Possibly defensive, but a young player in the Zinchenko mould would be nice.

1 hour ago, geordie_b said:

We also now have zero chance of signing high quality loan players

This is a very good point and one that will have flown mostly under the radar. Chelsea etc ain’t gunna wanna do business with us now. We can also forget getting decent fringe players in from any of the top 6 now too.

1 hour ago, midds said:

image.png

Like the idea. A few amendments for me

Karius is a total unknown in many ways , wouldn't even want to categorize 

Krath has shown himself to be a capable back up under Howe at RB, however I would be looking to upgrade if possible. 

Manquillo is at the very least okay, maybe Lewis can still prove to be too. In any case, labelling him an outright liability also feels too harsh for me, we haven't seen enough to judge in recent times.

There's no chance that Almiron is deserving of anything other than a starting berth right now - whether that leaves Isak on the bench for the time being or not

Joelinton for me isn't a guaranteed name on the teamsheet for every game - potentially one to be rotated based on tactical considerations, especially in games we're going to dominate possession. The CM situation is a really interesting one, all of them offer something different and yet most will agree it's an area we should be looking to strengthen in the next 12 months. 

Edited by Barnes23

Opinions on Manquillo feel very much based on recency bias which I think is harsh as his bad performances toward the end of last season was after a fairly lengthy injury layoff, wasn't it? Until he proved otherwise we were terrified of having to rely on Krafth. :lol: Although I guess there must be something Howe is seeing that he doesn't like considering Manquillo isn't getting a look in so far this season.

I think the only position we could realistically improve without putting too many noses out of joint is CM to go in alongside Bruno and Big Jo. I don't think it would be unfair to tell Shelvey/Willock/Longstaff they need to prove they're worthy of the first team. But I don't think Howe sees it that way and will be looking to get Shelvey back in there when fit.

Aside from that I wouldn't be averse to a LB upgrade purely on an ability basis if Targett isn't the long term 'one' for Howe, but I don't think it's worth risking squad harmony and balance at this point for it.

Mad that I can't see an immediate upgrade I desperately want to happen.

Edited by wormy

26 minutes ago, MickMack said:

How is Manquillo a liability, never done anything wrong for us and ish better than Krafth 

Never? Really? :lol:

The whole thing was knocked up in 5 mins tbh

Feel free to agree/disagree as much as you like tbh, no biggie :thup:

I think one big signing in January would be fine. Either a winger who can play either side or a quality midfielder of some kind (who potentially even could also play wide). That could happen without upsetting the apple cart at all really.

Edited by ponsaelius

30 minutes ago, wormy said:

I think the only position we could realistically improve without putting too many noses out of joint is CM to go in alongside Bruno and Big Jo. I don't think it would be unfair to tell Shelvey/Willock/Longstaff they need to prove they're worthy of the first team. 

I honestly think Willock has been superb this season - yes, we haven't had the return to his goalscoring form, but Joelinton's poor return in that department seems immune from criticism.  I don't doubt we'll look to improve of course - but Willock's contribution has been overlooked by many to me.  I'm in full agreement with you re getting another CM in - particularly an attacking one like a Maddison type (or Maddison himself).  Either that or a holding midfielder with Bruno moved further forward.

More generally, we still look massively short on the flanks - yes, Miggy has turned good but we don't know if this is a purple patch or a permanent increase in output.  ASM is unreliable and I'm still unsure if he'll commit to Howe's pressing game.  Fraser and Murphy are willing but not good enough.

I think we're ok at CF for now - Wilson, Isak, Wood (yes, I know) will do for the time being.  We desperately need a back-up keeper - either someone up-and-coming or a solid benchwarmer (though Dubravka may now enjoy permanently warming benches, so might end returning to this position).  CB looks ok too - I'm happy with Botman, Schaar, Burn, Lascelles as our four main choices.  We still look light at FB - particularly LB.

So in short - for me the priority would be the same as the end of the summer - another winger and a midfielder first up.  If we get one of each in January that would be marvelous.

I still think the difference between us finishing 7 or 8th or finishing top 5 is going to be upfront.

Wilson is fantastic, nobody can argue against it, but we basically know he won't stay fit and we've now hopefully got Isak to replace him so hopefully covered there.

2 more next to Wilson, i can't help but feel as great as Almiron's goals have been, they aren't going to last forever, then we've got Maxi, who's either injured or has 1 great performance every 3 or 4 matches. I wouldn't be disappointed if either were replaced by a top-class upgrade.

Fraser and Murphy, both try hard but i don't believe either are Champions League level, if that's what we wish to be.

One of them scouting things had Isak with a 2:1 ratio for goals from stronger foot:weaker foot. This means he can play anywhere in the front three. So can ASM. I don't like him playing down the middle, but he scored the Wolves volley the last time it was tried.

Murphy seems to be improving, so I'd keep him, certainly over Fraser. I think Howe could make a player out of him.

With Trippier playing a TAA-like hybrid midfield playmaker role with TAA level production, that strikes me as the biggest vulnerability/lack of cover. I doubt anyone else could do it. Bruno would leave a Bruno sized hole elsewhere. Shelvey has the passing and crossing but not much else. This means we'd probably need to play a more conventional 4-3-3 and need more production from midfield. So instead of our current 3-4-3 thing, we'd play 4-3-3 with a Maddison level AM. On the form he's on, I suppose we could try Miggy CAM and stick Isak RW. The Brazlians could play double pivot, or Bruno as Xavi and a new DM as Busquets.

2 minutes ago, SteV said:

Interesting little thread that shows the fixture congestion some of the other teams (particularly Man Utd) could face.

This is definitely a season for us to take advantage of circumstances…

https://twitter.com/dalejohnsonespn/status/1588288713330597888?s=46&t=x87HJ_FX87T2HPr0V_Ydgw

We will just be forced to play second string sides in domestic cup competitions, further damaging the reputation of them. 

There's no way we play full lineups in the FA Cup or League Cup because of this. 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Was thinking that for the Chelsea game next week. I know we have 3-4 who'll be at the World Cup a couple of weeks later but pretty much 3/4s of the Chelsea XI will be on their way. Are they going to be full out for that?

100%. Over a weeks rest from the last PL game until the WC.