Newcastle United vs. Leeds United - 31/12/22 @ 3pm (No UK TV)

6 hours ago, nufcjb said:

I've noticed this. He doesn't have as much pace as Wilson but he gets much closer to defenders on a lot more occasions than Wilson does when pressing. Yes probably it ends up with nothing but he really does try.

Pressing isn’t just about winning the ball. In fact the first to press very rarely does, it’s more about forcing the player to pass to a predictable area of the pitch based on the area you seal off.

1 hour ago, Novocastrian said:

Don't get this Leeds love in at all - awful club with even worse fans. Maybe it's some younger fans who can't remember them following their extended sojourn outside the PL?

Best place for them is in the lower leagues, the lower the better.

To me, they're the definition of a team we should be playing. Like, I can't stand Everton and hope they go down, but with all due respect to Bournemouth and co. they're the kind of team who in the long run should be up there and winding us up. It'd get boring otherwise.

@Theregulars In theory, that's the way it's supposed to work and I agree, teams like the Bucks couldn't compete if there wasn't a hard cap and revenue share from the NBA. However, all the rich, glamour teams are the ones superstars want to play for and those teams spend a fuckload on facilities, player salaries and supplemental staffing.  He's not wrong or incorrect, just not as cut and dry as he mentioned IMO. The best part of the EFL Pyramid (other European leagues too) is when the teams with all the history and money get beaten by smaller clubs who haven't traditionally had those resources. 

I also don't think Marsch is calling us out, I think he's merely stating having a pile of money helps when you can unlock it. Hard to dispute that.

2 hours ago, Jonas said:

Managed clubs owned by Red Bull, including a regional division one in Germany, that got where they got ENTIRELY because of money,

Complains about others clubs having more money.

similar to Klopp whinging about our spending and then forking out tens of millions for gapko.

2 hours ago, Jonas said:

Managed clubs owned by Red Bull, including a regional division one in Germany, that got where they got ENTIRELY because of money,

Complains about others clubs having more money.

similar to Klopp whinging about our spending and then forking out tens of millions for gapko.

Regardless of the result today I think Marsch is a bit of a fraud. If they’d just held their nerve with Bielsa and given him the money Marsch has had they’d be in a far better position and I know a lot of Leeds fans think the same. He seems to try hard to be every main coach in an American sports film and I’m not sure there’s a whole lot of substance behind it.

Nothing wrong with the answer for the position that he’s currently in, however, when he was being bank rolled by a billionaire energy drink company and his team were buying players for a combined 5 times what the rest of the league were put together, he seemed to be pretty accepting and quiet about the state of the game financially. Plus Leeds have only spent £13m less than us for the years they’ve been back in the PL, and the majority of our  spend has naturally come in the last year to merely catch up with them. 

1 hour ago, Manxst said:

Nothing wrong with the answer for the position that he’s currently in, however, when he was being bank rolled by a billionaire energy drink company and his team were buying players for a combined 5 times what the rest of the league were put together, he seemed to be pretty accepting and quiet about the state of the game financially. Plus Leeds have only spent £13m less than us for the years they’ve been back in the PL, and the majority of our  spend has naturally come in the last year to merely catch up with them. 

I'm old enough to remember the actual "Dirty Leeds" and O'leary spending on Ridsdale's credit card. 

1 minute ago, Groundhog63 said:

I'm old enough to remember the actual "Dirty Leeds" and O'leary spending on Ridsdale's credit card. 

Me too. Wasn’t there a hue and cry about the cost of goldfish and their bowls in the office when the finances fell apart? 

Let’s do these bastards, stick 5 past them and let them all know we are going into 2023 fighting for a top 4 spot and we aren’t going away. Win this and I will start to believe top 4 is possible. 

Howay the lads , get into them :indi:

38 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Me too. Wasn’t there a hue and cry about the cost of goldfish and their bowls in the office when the finances fell apart? 

Aye. Dirty Leeds had all the latter-day superstars. Bremmner etc etc. 

Ridsdale just went nuclear. 

6 hours ago, St1pe said:

Regardless of the result today I think Marsch is a bit of a fraud. If they’d just held their nerve with Bielsa and given him the money Marsch has had they’d be in a far better position and I know a lot of Leeds fans think the same. He seems to try hard to be every main coach in an American sports film and I’m not sure there’s a whole lot of substance behind it.

Bielsa was given money to spend but didn’t spend it. He was his own worst enemy in that regard and it led to his sacking. Any player coming in had to spent 3-4 months getting up to Bielsa levels of fitness and learning the way they play, so Bielsa just stuck with the players he already had. They were essentially championship players, playing at a ridiculous intensity. Once teams figured out to play against Leeds they were screwed because they didn’t have the player quality for a plan B. Not that Bielsa was a plan B guy, but better players would’ve made a difference regardless.

Edited by Holmesy