Anthony Gordon

Jack27

Just now, PauloGeordio said:

Margins, it’ll come. Think they will bulk him up a bit over the summer too. 

Needs to spend the summer working on his end product too. Lord knows if Murphy can stop hitting the woodwork and start scoring a few goals, he can too.

Just now, Cronky said:

Not seen the game, but it's a bit of a worry that he got hoiked off at half-time without being injured.

Was he playing wide left, or did he have a freer role?

Wide left then wide right then bench

Don’t think it’s a worry, Howe knows we needed three points today and he knew that we were going to dominate the ball in the second half. He added a more lethal striking option and a player who is world class. Don’t think there’s more to it than that. Main thing is that Gordon needs to take it on the chin 

Did well I thought, and we finally got to see some of that fabled speed. Still settling in, so he gets a pass on not taking that chance.

The long ball for the third aside, most of Southampton's last ditch defending was actually pretty good, and we ultimately had to swamp them with wave after wave.

Absolutely no doubt he'll be a very good player for us.

There's only about 5-6 players in our entire squad who have come into the team hit the ground running and I see no reason why Gordon should be the exception to the other 20 odd players. 

I'm only gonna judge him on his qualities at the moment and he has a lot of exciting ingredients.

Just a reminder of what Howe said about him prior to the Everton game ...

No, I don’t think we have seen the best of Anthony Gordon,” he said.

“There is more to come from him. We have seen glimpses of what he can do. There was a moment on Sunday when he nearly scored and showed his pace on transition. He has got so many qualities. Putting it all together for 90 minutes, we have not seen that yet."

“January transfers are incredibly difficult. An individual joining a new team, totally new way of playing. For a young player to adjust to, that isn’t easy."

“I am really pleased with him and I know he will be a high quality player for us in the future, and I know he is going to be the right signing for us because of the way he has reacted to the move.”

Feel very sorry for the lad. He has barely put a foot wrong since he got here but, if anything, is trying too hard. As long as he stays mentally strong, and doesn't let this frustrating start to his NUFC career get him down, it will all go well for him eventually ....but it will be next season now for him I think. People writing him off already need to have a word with themselves.

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Just a reminder of what Howe said about him prior to the Everton game ...

No, I don’t think we have seen the best of Anthony Gordon,” he said.

“There is more to come from him. We have seen glimpses of what he can do. There was a moment on Sunday when he nearly scored and showed his pace on transition. He has got so many qualities. Putting it all together for 90 minutes, we have not seen that yet."

“January transfers are incredibly difficult. An individual joining a new team, totally new way of playing. For a young player to adjust to, that isn’t easy."

“I am really pleased with him and I know he will be a high quality player for us in the future, and I know he is going to be the right signing for us because of the way he has reacted to the move.”

Full preseason with us and he will be a beast.

1 minute ago, Beren said:

Both things are true IMO:

- He was shite today (perhaps trying to prove too much)

- He is not a write off

Beren's Paradox was established in 2023, when Beren declared that two opposing internet football arguments could in fact be true at the same time.

2 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Feel very sorry for the lad. He has barely put a foot wrong since he got here but, if anything, is trying too hard. As long as he stays mentally strong, and doesn't let this frustrating start to his NUFC career get him down, it will all go well for him eventually ....but it will be next season now for him I think. People writing him off already need to have a word with themselves.

100% agree

Well this was a divisive performance...

To me he has confidence issues, sometimes meaning he plays safe or fails to let his legs go and be more ambitious. And sometimes meaning he looks too relaxed on the ball, which I interpret as overcompensation.

I liked a fair bit of what he did, but it doesn't feel like he matches the rest of our team right now. I would guess he was partly hooked as Isak works better out left than right.

For the foreseeable, I can't believe Howe and co. don't have a sound end vision for him, though.

42 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Poor is subjective and I'd say he certainly had poor moments: the shot from the low success position wide left and then just trying the same switch to the left and sprint on the defenders.

Your observation about him not playing the system sounds like it is really on the money and is what I was getting at with how we needed him subbed off to get back into the game.

Im not arguing that the sub was wrong at all, it was 100% the right call and would have said so at the time.

he made a few decision making errors either through thinking he could get in the goos books by goign rogue or just not listening and then the 1 on 1 was a poor finish.