Southampton 0-1 Newcastle United (24/01/2023)

Disco

Was concerned about BDB a few times last night. He put us in trouble more than once. Hope it was just an off day.

Our intensity is definitely waning. Not much, not much at all but just enough for a team with a bit of bravery to play around.

We need fresh leg options in the centre. Players running around dead on their feet. It’s. No surprise the way we play. Can’t keep that up for a season. 

4 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Was concerned about BDB a few times last night. He put us in trouble more than once. Hope it was just an off day.

Our intensity is definitely waning. Not much, not much at all but just enough for a team with a bit of bravery to play around.

We need fresh leg options in the centre. Players running around dead on their feet. It’s. No surprise the way we play. Can’t keep that up for a season. 

Wasn't just BDB in fairness, there were loads of stray passes from the midfield, and even a few from Trippier, that could have had us in bother.

However that said, Sky highlighted Soton's press and intensity that helped them win against Man City in previous round, and I didn't see as much of that from them last night, apart from when we ourselves were giving it away to them.

Edited by TK-421

If we beat So'ton, I honestly want to face Man U in the final, either side will be a tough match, but beating the red bastards will make it so much more historic. (though losing to them would be unbearable)

12 hours ago, Numbers said:

Bit of Quality from Isak changed the game, if Longstaff and Willock want to stay in the team they need to learn to fucking finish, shocking.

I think people on here are under estimating the hard yards Longstaff and Willock are putting in on and off the ball. A bit more composure in the final third would be welcome but they play a huge part in our pressing style.

Yeah, there are a few reasons why I'd want Man Utd to get through to the final as well.

We're obviously not there yet, and of course, if we do, pure odds wise we'd be favourites to win the cup (against Forest) as opposed to slight underdogs (which will come with it's own pressures...), but just generally more chance on paper that we would return triumphant.

However, if Man Utd won (and played us in the final) then that would lock up a European spot in the league - if Forest won the cup then it would only go down to 6th, and would just need take a Brighton or Leicester winning the FA Cup and then only 5th place would get Europe and not 6th.

Newcastle vs Forest would be an interesting match with two big city teams with decent history, but Newcastle vs Man Utd would feel the bigger match generally, and would be brilliant to beat then in the final.

We'd also be far better placed to win than in both the 98 or 99 finals when as a midtable side we met the newly crowned league champions, but if we did lose then it wouldn't feel as much of a missed opportunity than potentially losing to a team battling relegation for much of the season, which would sting for ages.

Probably just about want Forest to win to increase our chances, but I'm not really fussed and see advantages / opportunities either way.

That said, we obviously need to finish the job on Tuesday before worrying about potential final opponents. I would like tonight's match to still be live after 90 mins though. A Man Utd win, especially be 2+ goals and it will effectively be over.

Edited by Paullow