Newcastle United 2-1 Southampton - Tell me Ma, me Ma, I won't be home for tea... (31/01/2023)

Disco

3 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

Something that's occurred to me (and it might have been mentioned already), I assume us getting to the final gives us an extra opportunity to be in Europe next season - not from winning the final but with the other finalist being Man Utd, so as long as they finish in the European places we'd essentially get their spot from the cup if we don't manage it ourselves? All in all, we should be in Europe next season unless something drastic happens.

No. That spot in the Europa Conference League would be given to the next highest Premier League finisher.

https://www.90min.com/posts/do-the-carabao-cup-winners-qualify-for-european-football#:~:text=Do the Carabao Cup winners qualify for Europe%3F,Europa Conference League qualifying round.

2 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

That's a shame, still, we're probably in the mix for benefitting either way hopefully :)

3 minutes ago, maybe_next_year said:

There is something special about the fact it was Burn in the quarters and Longstaff in the semi, two local lads putting us through to the final. 

Anderson to score the winner in the final then

Mental game that like :lol:

The first half an hour was the best we've played all season. We were so fucking on it. So intense. Didn't give the poor cunts a moment's peace. Went a bit ropey after their goal. 

Second half we were fucking awful :lol: But limited them to just one chance and had to squeak it out. Bruno's red a big blow for the league. A game of extremes tonight. 

Delighted for Longstaff, delighted for Howe, the staff, the players. But most of all delighted for fans who finally have something to shout about after a desperately depressing decade and a half. 

A huge day looms large and Howe won't be interested in anything but a win. These occasions were stolen from us and now they're back at last. Howay the lads, we can do this. 

Edited by Interpolic

19 minutes ago, Rich said:

Turned @Sexy Beast's email notifications on in case anyone has any messages for him.

GET THE FUCK IN! :indi:

P.S. Booked my train at half-time because despite the goal, it was clear that Southampton were fucking sheeeeeeite.

Massive fan of this pettiness :lol:

So chuffed to be in the final. We seemed to get really nervy as soon as we conceded a goal. Must be a shock for this team to lose a goal and then 2nd half we never got going. 

Bit worrying if the nerves get to the lads in the final. Some of that Man U team have got alot of finals experience.

The Bruno thing put abit of a dampener on it, first of all cus I thought he was out of the final but then that he is missing 3 league games, which I would probably still take over him missing the final but still a kick to the nads. 

Well done though boys. Fingers crossed for the final.

Thought Jones' selection and starting tactics were fucking awful (5-3-2 is the worst formation going), but he reacted really well with his changes and almost pulled them back into it.

I'd be surprised if they went down, because despite looking like your nextdoor neighbour he seems properly switched on and the players are clearly buying into his methods.

His style is mad, though, proper balls to the wall given their circumstances.

Whole game changed due to Willock's miss pass. Think we would have won by 4 or 5 until they scored as a direct result. From that moment the pressing which was destroying Southampton suddenly stopped and we started giving them time on the ball. Apart from the Armstrong chance they didn't really create anything though. Deserved win overall.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

Thought Jones' selection and starting tactics were fucking awful (5-3-2 is the worst formation going), but he reacted really well with his changes and almost pulled them back into it.

I'd be surprised if they went down, because despite looking like your nextdoor neighbour he seems properly switched on and the players are clearly buying into his methods.

‘Give them loads of space in the channels and on the flanks where we’ll let them have overloads boyos. Remember in no circumstances pass to Ward-Prowse around the box. James, stand in the busiest areas at all times so no one is tempted to pass to you. Proper tidy.

1 minute ago, Disco said:

‘Give them loads of space in the channels and on the flanks where we’ll let them have overloads boyos. Remember in no circumstances pass to Ward-Prowse around the box. James, stand in the busiest areas at all times so no one is tempted to pass to you. Proper tidy.

JWP was wank, like, Bruno had him on toast.

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

He'll have plenty of suitors but think Lavia would be good in our midfield

Their first half tactics were pretty abysmal I thought and that Lyanco and their new Argie were dreadful