[The League Cup Final] Newcastle United vs. Manchester United: 26/02/2023 @ 4.30pm (Sky)

Nobody

21 minutes ago, Wandy said:

There's not a chance we can or will play them off the park FFS [emoji38]

The best way to win this will be to be conservative and cagey. If we play with the same tactics next week as the ones we started off with yesterday then we will get mullered. If we had kept 11 players on the pitch last night then Liverpool would have scored at least another goal. They were picking us off totally on the counter.

Player for player Man U are better than us in most positions right now. We need to understand this to prepare for it tactically to have a chance of winning.

We absolutely can play them off the park, it's unlikely that we will though.

To be honest, I think as much as it'll need a bit of a formation change, I think we need to start Isak and Wilson (if he's fit to start) at Wembley.

Isak was making some great runs yesterday, but then there was hardly anyone in the box for a final ball/pass.

He can open things up, but we need a wilson to be on the end of stuff.

Edited by TK-421

I think after Longstaff's second goal against Southampton when the final looked largely set, and perhaps once Man Utd had gone from 99% to 100% confirmed the following evening (although Bruno's red in between was a big blow) I was thinking it was a 45/55 type tie, but the past few weeks with our respective form, the unbeaten run against PL opposition abruptly ending, the obvious lack of depth, and of course losing Pope, I am now thinking 30/70 at best, possibly slightly lower.

Less confident now, but obviously far from a foregone conclusion, but while we're obviously all desperate to win something, the fist trophy in most people's lives, certainly domestically, and hopefully it happens, but if not, then you'd think another opportunity wouldn't be too far away, possibly just around the corner, and you certainly wouldn't expect it to be another 24 years for the next final, but while obviously nobody knows what the future holds, that mindset does relieve the pressure a bit (from me), whereas if it was say a Crystal Palace, Brentford, Leeds etc. who made a rare final instead, then it might have felt a bit different (like it would have for us pre takeover if Bruce somehow further fluked that rare League Cup run).

Just now, Dr Venkman said:

I have to say, the one thing that hasn’t come back for me after my time away is the nerves. I get excited, look forward to it, etc, but the nerves are gone. Maybe it’s just age/perspective. 

Let us know if this is still the case before kick off next Sunday. 😉 

I'll be stunned if the nerves don't creep in the closer it gets.

1 minute ago, alexf said:

Let us know if this is still the case before kick off next Sunday. 😉 

I'll be stunned if the nerves don't creep in the closer it gets.

Aye me too. Hoping they do arrive like. TBH maybe it’s just recency bias, we’ve been so good for about a year that I don’t think I’ve needed to feel nervous. Pretty sure I felt it during those huge relegation games last season until it was clear we were going to be fine.

The Battle of Brazil.

Fred/Caseimero vs BigJow/Bruno.

just a shame they also have Rashford.

but we have a Maxi back in form.

so nervous for this.

gonna be tears either way.

first cup final with me bairns.

HWTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being realistic (hopefully not negative), the only way we win this is if they have a stinker and we have a stormer. Every other scenario feels like ManU will take it. I think they'll score in the game, so we have to find at least a goal from somewhere. 

Shame we couldn't have played this when our forms were reversed. 

Still excited though. 

1 minute ago, Weezertron said:

Being realistic (hopefully not negative), the only way we win this is if they have a stinker and we have a stormer. Every other scenario feels like ManU will take it. I think they'll score in the game, so we have to find at least a goal from somewhere. 

Shame we couldn't have played this when our forms were reversed. 

Still excited though. 

To be fair, they’ve been in top form since the end of August. They’re really good at winning games even when they’re not quite functioning at their best. I can see us giving them a really good game but failing to score. 

1 minute ago, Miggys First Goal said:

There’s going to be some fuckery next week. Can feel it. 

So can I. Newcastle are the team who have benefitted the most from overturned VAR decisions this season. 

Hope we get a good neutral ref.