Aston Villa 3-0 Newcastle United (15/04/2023)

Disco

1 minute ago, worthy said:

What is supposed to be Gordons strengths? Serious question though, cause I dont understand what he is bought in for.

I just don't get it - rather have Anderson on.

What’s the general consensus then? Hard to tell from the radio. But sounds like we’ve been battered, Isak barely been mentioned, Gordon not doing much and Burn poor, again? 

Wilson on for Gordon/Murphy and a similar formation to the second half at Brentford?

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Feels like our lack of pace and athleticism at both full back positions is being exploited by Villa. They are struggling to cope defensively, and then can't offer anything going forward as a result, hence the lack of connect with midfield.

Yeah, it would help if Burn and Trippier didn't keep getting so tight defensively too. They are being ridiculous.

Energy levels and concentration not quite there again.

Murphy has been one of our better creative outlets.

Gordon hasn't done anything so far that warrants his transfer here. 

Bruno loves a niggly little foul on someone.

It'll have to be one hell of a team talk.

Been shit but we have sort of got back into it at times, only for the referee to hold up play for a non-foul and allow Villa to attack again.

Burn has been awful and we have not been winning the 2nd ball in the middle.

On top of that when we have had goal kicks and taken them short, we lost the ball before we got out of own 3rd of the pitch.

Willock has been ineffective, but both Bruno and Joelinton haven’t been as dominant or as fast as they usually are.

Villa will go in at half time thinking they have won this game, and we have to sort ourselves out at halftime.

If we can get a foothold into this match then I think they may fall apart, but we seriously need to up our game. We got lucky against West Ham, their defending/errors gifted us the game. Brentford didn’t really have the stamina to match us in the 2nd half. We need to make sure Villa are like Brentford and can’t match this intensity all game. There is a goal in this game for us if we want it.

Edited by Stifler

1 minute ago, worthy said:

What is supposed to be Gordons strengths? Serious question though, cause I dont understand what he is bought in for.

Work rate. Pace. Dribbling. Can spot a pass. Very direct. Covers the fullback well. 

im confused by people who are literally already giving up on him or on his back. He’s played like 100 mins in black and white…calm down and be patient. Support the lads. At least give him a CHANCE ffs 

1 minute ago, Away Toon said:

Emery has won at least 10 major trophies in his career. Rice was by far the best player when we played them both home and away and everyone on here would like us to buy him. What's your point?

Wonder what he'd have managed at Bournemouth and with us in a year.

Every one of your posts slaughters the team/manager/club is the point generally and specifically how the bed wetting (whether through excitement or distress at a bad performance) can backfire when context is abandoned.

Poor but only one-nowt.  Desperately need to change things - and for the side to wake up generally.  It’s a training ground performance so far - not just the energy levels but the decision-making is off.

I do also think this shows that a pacy centre back would be a very useful summer addition.  Not that there’s much wrong with our back line generally, but for games like this where we’re constantly being caught on the turn it is obvious that Botman could do with a quick no 5 alongside him

Good news is we're still in it, game should be dead and buried.

I expect there'll be changes and a reaction from us in the second half.

Think we'll offer a lot more, but Villa aren't just going to let us back into it. Need a bit of luck (we've already had plenty) and to take a chance if it comes our way because we're getting thumped really.

Targett for Burn

Wilson for one of Murphy, Willock or Gordon

Best thing is it’s only 1-0 and hopefully we can’t be as bad but unfortunately I’m sure the ref will get worse 

Should be game over.  Their shame is better and press is better.  We're well off the pace.  Only positives are Isak's two chances.  If his shot was a meter to the site it would probable have been a goal.  The cross was close too.  As always next goal is fucking huge.  

Tough first half but we've been poor and contained them to a single goal, regroup and start again in the 2nd half. Eddie will make the required changes, would like to see Targett get a chance to claim that LB spot as Burn has been a liability and is clearly getting wound up. They'll tire before us, we just need to keep the game close and keep going to the final whistle, we can still get something from this.

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

A relentless, sustained bumming. Think Murphy has been our best player but switching to 2 up front with him coming off for Wilson possibly the best way to change things.

:lol:

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

He's erratic. Whether he's won us points or not he's been hit and miss all season, more hit than miss like, but he's nowhere near the top keepers in the league.

That's why even up to now we've conceded the fewest goals in the league.

I mean, this is such an embarrassing over emotional reaction to one half of football it's cringeworthy.