Newcastle United vs. Leicester City: 22/05/23 @ 20:00 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

1 hour ago, Paullow said:

Who would 'take a point' tomorrow then?

It's obviously a very winnable fixture, one we should really win, and would strengthen our grip on 3rd if we won, but a point would finally get us over the line, and we could just enjoy Chelsea away with minimal jeopardy and blood a few youngsters and try different things.

Without wanting to derail the thread but couldn’t think of a better one to place it I asked @ponsaelius this morning if you could rewind the season back to Bruno’s Red Card and change that one event and replay the season from there would you chance it?

So potential no loss of form for the team going into Cup Final and no loss off match fitness for Bruno himself. Might even prevent us playing like we did against Liverpool at home and no red card for Pope. However you take your chances with all the results we’ve had since then. Knowing we now need 1 point from last 2 games…

(He struggled to decide for the record ?)

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Without wanting to derail the thread but couldn’t think of a better one to place it I asked @ponsaelius this morning if you could rewind the season back to Bruno’s Red Card and change that one event and replay the season from there would you chance it?

So potential no loss of form for the team going into Cup Final and no loss off match fitness for Bruno himself. Might even prevent us playing like we did against Liverpool at home and no red card for Pope. However you take your chances with all the results we’ve had since then. Knowing we now need 1 point from last 2 games…

If we do make the CL I wouldn’t go back and replay from there. Been some amazing moments since then, only really the cup final is a negative point, and we’ll be in another soon I’m certain. 

39 minutes ago, brummie said:

Marriner is a Villa fan. He's going to have a soft spot for Dean Smith.

He's going to make it hard for you.

*tin foil hat*

Cheers for that mate, exactly what I wanted to hear... :lol:

26 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Na, I was always a League Cup over CL man at the time, but now the LC has gone and CL is so close, and generally better for the club going forward, I'm happy with how it's gone. We'd already drawn 3 of 4 matches prior to that second leg (even if one was an excellent point) and there's no guarantee we'd have won it with a match fit Bruno and Pope, so hopefully secure CL tomorrow, invest wisely, and keep pushing on, and there could be bigger nights than a League Cup final ahead of us.

If we mess this season end up, then aye :lol:

46 minutes ago, huss9 said:

nee mildfielders fit other than anderson?

fuck it, may just have to be 4-1-5 formation.

This is going to be the weirdest game. Suggestions that Longstaff might play, Bruno and Joelinton will limp on. Or we might get a midfield of Gordon, Anderson and Lewis MiIey for all we know I just have no fucking clue at this point.

45 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

I’m guessing Bruno and Big Jo are fine to play.

Hypothetically, if Longstaff has trained the last couple of days would you put him in or would you play Anderson and have Longstaff as an option from the bench?

Personally, I’d rather Longstaff starts - though if we’re level or narrowly ahead he’d be a great choice to come off the bench with half an hour left to Harry and harass Leicester.  The flip of course is that if things don’t go to plan in his absence he’s not who you’d turn to to change things. 

I think it will be Joelinton, Bruno and Anderson

Howe has trusted Anderson in enough moments that a home game against Leicester where only a point is needed he'll play him without hesitation 

In terms of the game Leicester will not be looking to play out from the back, any chance they get the ball they'll launch it forward optimistically 

We've just got to pin them back and get enough people in and around the box 

If Longstaff hasn't trained for going on 4 weeks and only started since Thursday I struggle to see him starting the game. 

Joelinton, Bruno and Anderson will do just fine. Longstaff can come on for 15 minutes once the game is done to get Bruno out of harms way.