NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, rebelrouser said:

Everyone expected PIF to come in and start throwing money around and breaking the rules like City. I actually like that we are playing within the rules AND winning. Must drive certain people crazy. 

part of it is that we got really lucky with Howe as our manager

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m starting to think that Gordon will

be seen as the starting RW this season, don’t think we will be signing someone else.

I'm starting to think the same. We're actually pretty stocked on the wings and I think Howe rates Murphy and Miggy more than most. 

We might be “stocked” but I’d be shocked if the club isn’t looking to sign a top quality wide player at least. We don’t have one single top quality player out wide. Doesn’t sound like the ambitions of the club to believe we have enough out wide (quality)

Edited by Ikon

11 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m starting to think that Gordon will

be seen as the starting RW this season, don’t think we will be signing someone else.

I think it will be a Gordon / Miggy platoon but yes, the Gordon haters better be ready to see quite a bit of him.

Just now, Ikon said:

We might be “stocked” but I’d be shocked if the club isn’t looking to sign a top quality wide player at least. 

Indeed. It's also one of those positions that's hard to judge the quality. Almiron had what looks like a freak season compared to the rest of his career, ASM injured a lot and doesn't look the same player on the pitch, Gordon not very good for us but won Euro U21s player of the tournament, Murphy I'm still convinced is crap despite his resurgence, Fraser needs to go in the bin, Joelinton better in the middle. 

8 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I'm starting to think the same. We're actually pretty stocked on the wings and I think Howe rates Murphy and Miggy more than most. 

I think he'd have no problem going again with the same wide options, they aren't the worst in the division by a long shot, but I also think he'd prefer an upgrade, and would sell one of those two or ASM if it meant getting in one of the players he really fancies.

30 minutes ago, Ikon said:

We might be “stocked” but I’d be shocked if the club isn’t looking to sign a top quality wide player at least. We don’t have one single top quality player out wide. Doesn’t sound like the ambitions of the club to believe we have enough out wide (quality)

They’ve spent £40m on Gordon and apparently spending £35m on Barnes. You might not think they are top quality but the club/Howe obviously do. 

I think we need a Barnes type player someone that's gonna knock in ten a season and help convert draws into wins. All the top teams have that type of player. Miggy done it this year but I'm not sure he can do it again. 

All our wingers are good but not top notch as far as goals and assists are concerned. 

Edited by andycap

14 minutes ago, gdm said:

They’ve spent £40m on Gordon and apparently spending £35m on Barnes. You might not think they are top quality but the club/Howe obviously do. 

We haven’t even signed Barnes :lol: Plus I think Gordon was signed more for the near future/long term because the opportunity arrived. English premium and all that. Gordon hasn’t shown anything (Yet) to be called top quality and I doubt Howe/Ashworth see him as that yet. Howe has talked about us going for a very small pool of players because of their quality. That’s the kind of players I think they see as elite, just like Tonali for example. To say we are “stocked” in wide areas might right to a degree. But not when it comes to top quality. We lack creativity from out wide to name one thing. 

4 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Tonali was in the same competition that Gordon won the player of the tournament of. 

Massimo Maccarone Was the top scorer in the tournament once. 

I think Barnes might be all we sign re attacking options unless an amazing deal becomes avaliable.

A top LB and a solid backup CB would be sensible additions.

So that Schar and Botty can get a rest while Burn and someone who isn't Lacelles deputise.

Slightly unrelated but seeing as we were there with Gordon... if France had won the U21 Euros and we signed their highly rated winger that won player of the tournament for 40m, people would be over the moon. Still seems like a lot of money, rising to 45m with add ons but he looked great in the Euros. 

More on track with the thread - Saw we got linked to Elye Wahi yesterday for 30-40m. While it looks like just another lazy throw Newcastle in there with the other top clubs (which is nice to get used to now) he does play wide right as well as up top. Definitely one for the future. 

5 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Slightly unrelated but seeing as we were there with Gordon... if France had won the U21 Euros and we signed their highly rated winger that won player of the tournament for 40m, people would be over the moon. Still seems like a lot of money, rising to 45m with add ons but he looked great in the Euros. 

More on track with the thread - Saw we got linked to Elye Wahi yesterday for 30-40m. While it looks like just another lazy throw Newcastle in there with the other top clubs (which is nice to get used to now) he does play wide right as well as up top. Definitely one for the future. 

Toni Gordonelli has us all very excited.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Was Gordon that impressive in the tournament ? Genuine question as I didn’t watch any of it.

Not in Scouted Football's team of the tournament, who said:

We’ve strayed quite far from the all-knowing UEFA Technical Observer panel, who packed their TOTT with only English and Spanish players. They also picked Anthony Gordon as their Player of the Tournament, another decision that we couldn’t make much sense of.

UEFA’s pick of Gordon as Player of the Tournament was strange, but he did pretty well in a difficult centre-forwardy role.

https://www.scoutednotebook.com/p/u21-euro-2023-team-of-tournament

51 minutes ago, Ikon said:

We haven’t even signed Barnes :lol: Plus I think Gordon was signed more for the near future/long term because the opportunity arrived. English premium and all that. Gordon hasn’t shown anything (Yet) to be called top quality and I doubt Howe/Ashworth see him as that yet. Howe has talked about us going for a very small pool of players because of their quality. That’s the kind of players I think they see as elite, just like Tonali for example. To say we are “stocked” in wide areas might right to a degree. But not when it comes to top quality. We lack creativity from out wide to name one thing. 

:lol: you can’t just discount Gordon coz he hasn’t shown anything yet. We’ve spent £40m on him so he’s gonna start more games than not most likely. I added Barnes as he’s the most likely one coming in. Can’t see us bringing 2 wingers in was my point. We are well stocked and unless we start to move some of them we won’t be buying any more so it’s irrelevant wether you think the ones we have are elite or not. I agree to an extend Barnes might have great numbers but he’s not an elite winger. 

just my opinion of course but if we start with front 3 of Barnes isak and Gordon, isak is quality but it’s surely the weakest front 3 of the top ‘6/7’ 

Edited by gdm

1 minute ago, gdm said:

:lol: you can’t just discount Gordon coz he hasn’t shown anything yet. We’ve spent £40m on him so he’s gonna start more games than not most likely. I added Barnes as he’s the most likely one coming in. Can’t see us bringing 2 wingers in was my point. We are well stocked and unless we start to move some of them we won’t be buying any more so it’s irrelevant wether you think the ones we have are elite or not. I agree to an extend Barnes might have great numbers but he’s not an elite winger. 

I didn’t discount Gordon. I said that he hasn’t showed it YET! That he is top quality and i don’t think that Howe and the rest see him as that yet either. He might do very well this season or in the future. Time will tell. Also pointless to count Barnes because he hasn’t signed. iF he does then yeah. I don’t think my point is irrelevant as it’s my opinion, and as by the sounds of it the club has been looking for a wide player(s)for quite some time (even after Gordon). 

As of NOW I don’t think the club see it the way and thinking naah we are well stocked. Especially when our best one is never fit. 

1 hour ago, Ikon said:

I doubt Howe would be pushing the club to sign either Gordon or Barnes with restricted funds unless they were players he thought would make a difference immediately. You said yourself there's a very small pool of players to choose from, and if you spend your restricted funds on 'maybes' then there's less chance of getting the elites.

Will be interesting to see how Gordon does next year, and Barnes if he arrives. I'd be pretty pissed off at spending £80m of precious funds if they can't do better than what we've got.

Personally I think they will both kick on and be key players (assuming Barnes actually arrives).

28 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I thought he was England’s best player and they won the tournament, they don’t usually give the player of the tournament to someone that was knocked out in the group stages.

I didn't watch it. Scouted Football's review seems consensus opinion though - i.e. the award was weird and he wasn't England's best player

Edited by Jagten