Harvey Barnes

khay

2 hours ago, rgk_lfc said:

A few years ago, he was considered Klopp's top choice as a replacement for Mane and Salah. I do believe LFC reached out to Leicester but the price was too expensive at that time. Then we moved on to other targets and finally ended up with Diaz. I am not surprised at common targets - Barnes, Thuram, Kone -  being linked to both of us as I believe some of the player analysts who used to work for LFC have now moved on to work at NUFC. Dan Ashworth and Michael Edwards are close friends and I am sure the team they assembled has a lot of overlaps in terms of the type of players they look for. 

Around 2015-2017, we had Sterling and Ibe in our youth team. When you looked at attributes - pace, physicality, dribbling ability, shot-taking - Ibe was significantly better than Sterling. However, Sterling had a significantly better career as he was able to put together his attributes more effectively on the pitch. Barnes, in some way, reminds me of Sterling. He has a lot of attributes at a good to very good level but what he is really good at is putting together his strengths to make the whole, greater than the sum of the parts. I have not followed Barnes in the last year and a half but he impressed me when he broke through at Leicester.

Also, there was an interesting comment from one of the analysts on Twitter that the more modern clubs are now buying players based on attributes rather than positions and trusting the coaching to mold them. Mane, a right winger became a left winger and striker. Salah, a left winger became a right winger. Gini, an attacking midfielder became a defensive midfielder. Plenty of such examples, actually I would say even more, in City.  Gordon is similar, in my opinion. I posted about him a couple of months ago in the Gordon post.  Given the fact that we share analysts who have worked for each other, as an outsider, looking at your transfer purchases quickly without any deep thought, the first thing which comes to mind is that aspect - emphasis on what he brings to the pitch on terms of strengths rather than traditional aspects such as what positions does he play etc. 

Very good post.

I have wondered if we see him being able to play both sides, despite the evidence to the contrary. As he does seem two footed tbf.

3 hours ago, Kanji said:

I just think we’re operating a different level these days. Trust the process. I hate saying that too. 

It's a fucking awful saying considering it originates from an NBA team who haven't won shit since it was uttered about eight years ago. :lol:

11 minutes ago, wormy said:

It's a fucking awful saying considering it originates from an NBA team who haven't won shit since it was uttered about eight years ago. :lol:

So we've been trusting the process since 1969?

26 minutes ago, wormy said:

Basketball doesn't really count as a sport.

I'll never understand the "traveling" rule and the fact the main defence is the hope the other team doesn't score and the games end 110-100.

I like the commentary and the tunes they play on the tannoy though.

1 minute ago, Mountain said:

Basketball doesn't really count as a sport.

I'll never understand the "traveling" rule and the fact the main defence is the hope the other team doesn't score and the games end 110-100.

I like the commentary and the tunes they play on the tannoy though.

Come On Please GIF by NBA

7 minutes ago, Shak said:

I love when people feel the need to belittle sports they don't like themselves, like it'll prove they like the correct sport or something :lol:

I like it a bit, happy to change course.

I've only just started giving cricket a chance, enjoying this Ashes.

Rugby is a no though.

9 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Doesn't count as a sport :lol: What a stupid thing to say.

I'd understand if it was darts or snooker.

That's a tad harsh, Phil "The Power" Taylor is an icon...

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Rugby’s decent, incredible fitness levels required these days. I just don’t have mental space for another sport. 

My issue is there's no net to kick the ball into, seems a bit redundant.

I wanna see a ball hit a net.

As I've grown older, I've come to appreciate wider sports more and more, anything that's competitive and has people at the top of their game fighting tooth and nail for what they've trained years for is class to be honest.

I used to "hate" and belittle sports like NFL or Rugby but retrospectively that's only due to some preconceived notion that as a football fan I had to hate them sports due to some weird sort of rivalry.

12 hours ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Have to laugh man, 2 years ago we would of took Harvey Price, now some are moaning about the likely double digit goalscoring left midfield / Winger Harvey Barnes for £35M, be careful what you wish for lads ffs 

It'll be the same wankers who have moaned about Anthony Gordon for 6 months and are now licking his hoop because he's been the player of the tournament for England U-21s.

19 minutes ago, Mountain said:

My issue is there's no net to kick the ball into, seems a bit redundant.

I wanna see a ball hit a net.

Totally agree. I would love to see a giant net in rugby between the posts and all the way to the top. 

I'd take it further and for a try you could dig a huge trench and have a net so the man falls into the net