Harvey Barnes

khay

10 hours ago, brummie said:

Surprised at the lukewarm-ness of this thread.

I really rate Barnes. Decent coaching instead of Rodgers sat with his feet up, coasting and waiting for the pay off will make the difference here.

Agreed.

I think he looks a great prospect and, as already mentioned by a couple, EH will make him maximally effective.

10 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Totally accept the debates around specifics but got to say I'm loving NUFC deliberately trying to better itself every single transfer window. What a novelty.

Couple more and we're in very decent nick. Starting to think LB might not be on the cards, which is a shame but I can live with it. CB essential though. 

Great point. This is the sort of signing we used to watch competent clubs make while we made massively speculative buys, at best. He might not be a world beater but he'll make the squad better, no doubt.

8 hours ago, Zero said:

I really don’t like this trade. I mean, if we really sell ASM, I do expect we would go big on someone like Kvara that would be a certain starter on the left. We have Gordon and Joelinton as cover for this position and why add another player that probably just similar to Gordon’s level?

I would even prefer to just let Gordon start and buy an expensive right winger like Diaby. 

sorry guys I really don’t like this trade.

I don't understand this, never have. Surely it's been obvious to all from day one that ASM is not an EH player? Barnes is, that's an automatic upgrade in effectiveness before he's even started improving.

If Tonali plays on the right, most action will happen there with Tripps and Almiron like we saw in the first half with Rangers. This will leave space on the left for Barnes to quickly hit shots on goal. 

I think that's why it wouldn't work with Maxi as the action is not on the left usually with Burn supporting that side. We also saw this with Joe and Willock, usually that side was for the quick attacks with long balls or on the counter. 

1 hour ago, La Parka said:

I've admired him for ages. He's very much a finisher though. Don't expect more than physicality and goals. Can imagine Bruno and Sandro will be looking to get him released asap on the break. 

Laurent robert was the same to be honest pacey and goals and he was class. Soon as he joined us we went from mid table to a title challenge. 

10 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

FWIW in his highlights Barnes beats a man plenty of times. Not in the way that ASM does of course, but he goes past defenders all the time. 

Yeah, Gordon is similar, both tend to try to get past their man by using their pace rather than trickery. That doesn't mean they can't feint or drop a shoulder, just they want to get behind defenders and hit them while they are exposed. Too many tricks and double backs just gives the whole defence time to regroup and smother the attack.

Just now, Rocker said:

He's going to be class btw.

There'll be a whole bunch of critical posters quietly disappearing and being replaced by new ones who will profess he was always underappreciated.