Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Was worried about this difficult start of ours when the fixtures first came out but I'm warming up to it now. 

Our worst performances last season came against teams fighting relegation/down towards the bottom of the table. Our best performances/results were against other teams around us in the top 8.

Both teams will want to start fast and the first 20 minutes could be chaotic if there's an early goal. Lascelles coming in wouldn't bother me too much as Villa are dangerous from set pieces so his aerial dominance is vital and he's also got more chance of keeping up with Watkins than Schar does.

Edited by Mazzy

1 hour ago, Mazzy said:

Was worried about this difficult start of ours when the fixtures first came out but I'm warming up to it now. 

Our worst performances last season came against teams fighting relegation/down towards the bottom of the table. Our best performances/results were against other teams around us in the top 8.

well, apart from one that springs to mind.

Edited by brummie

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

This looks a shoe in on the unders market. Both teams tend to keep it tight at the back and I can see us being a bit cagey after Villa played our press so well at their place.

A clash of styles, but I don't think there will be much in it between two even looking sides. We seem to have that much extra in the tank at home under the lights, so I'm going for a gritty, nail biting 1-0.

wasn’t it 4-0 and 3-0 last season?

and it will be tea time in August at kick off, hardly floodlight time unless the weather is stinking 

3-1 to us. Miggy, Isak and Bruno for us, Watkins pulling one back 

1 minute ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

wasn’t it 4-0 and 3-0 last season?

and it will be tea time in August at kick off, hardly floodlight time unless the weather is stinking 

3-1 to us. Miggy, Isak and Bruno for us, Watkins pulling one back 

Aye 4-0, they had a caretaker in charge I think. 

McGinn and Buendia are particularly good shithouses when it comes to throwing themselves to the ground with the slightest touch or pull.

With the new directives for referees Big Jo will be in the book within 20 mins. There’ll be no 2nd chances or arguing it’s a 1st foul.

We’ll need to be very disciplined.

Supposed to be thunder and lightning on Saturday evening. Superb work from Howe to ensure we practised that in preseason. 

Also their box midfield killed us at Villa Park. Let’s hope this time we’re a little more prepped this time albeit at the same time score early and it could be another nice win. 

1 hour ago, brummie said:

well, apart from one that springs to mind.

You have a point, although we managed ok in the first fixture. Different beast under emery admittedly. 

Wouldn't mind a repeat of our home return from the championship in 2010 :lol: as unlikely as that is. 

4 minutes ago, Wilson said:

You have a point, although we managed ok in the first fixture. Different beast under emery admittedly. 

Wouldn't mind a repeat of our home return from the championship in 2010 :lol: as unlikely as that is. 

Both those heavy wins for you against caretaker managers. Couldn't even blame Gerrard for the 4-0  Aaron Danks was in control, and he'd had us beat Brentford 4-0 the week before. Making his record with us entirely neutral, 4-0 and 0-4.

Seems ridiculous to be so damned hopeful and optimistic at this point of the season. We have style , we’ve got press, we’ve got real ability all round the pitch.I know there are some thin patches but fuck me I’ve never looked forward to a season as much as this.

For gods sake we’ve got youngsters who look like players and then some buys who just challenge the shit out of the last decade, we’re buying class Italians ??  Can  we do that?
Just go for it lads play good stuff and grow

Very tough game this. The game at Villa last season was by far our worst performance of the season. They didn’t let us get going at all and hurt us continually with their pace.

Emery being at the club is their Rafa moment and good luck to them, it’s a good feeling knowing someone capable is at the helm.

For what they have I just feel like we’re a little bit ahead.. if we score early it could be a long evening for them.

I think we start Joelinton, Bruno and Anderson in midfield and Gordon forward left.. bring on Barnes when they’re leggy.

Bring on Tonali when we want to see it out.

For as much as the win is important, Howe will be targeting the next game and the one after.. no way he’s going to show his full hand just yet.

8 hours ago, gbandit said:

I always find Buendia a nightmare to play against, he seems to hold onto the ball extremely well, is skilful and moves his team up the pitch quickly 

I’ll always enjoy Norwich’s head of recruitment calling him an angry little fat man when they signed him.