Newcastle United vs. Aston Villa: 12/08/23 @ 17:30 (Sky Sports)

HaydnNUFC

Just now, TRon said:

Don't be too shocked if Wilson starts, that's all I'm saying. He looks to have struck up a great understanding with Barnes, I think the early ball without too much faff is really going to be right up Callum's street.

I don’t think Wilson or Barnes will start 

I mean i'm crap at predicting scores but i'll go for 2-2. They're light a couple of talented midfielders but we might be without Schar (haven't heard anything concrete) and so could stretch us a bit and opening day often throws up weird and high scoring games. That said EH will have learned a lot from the April game and i'd expect there'll be no repeat of that and Emery already showed his shit by taking the pre-season game so seriously. 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

Don't be too shocked if Wilson starts, that's all I'm saying. He looks to have struck up a great understanding with Barnes, I think the early ball without too much faff is really going to be right up Callum's street.

Don’t think Barnes is starting either. 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

I don’t think Wilson or Barnes will start 

Fair point, Barnes has only arrived very recently, Howe might want to get him up to speed before pitcing him in.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Because we aren’t paying to watch time wasting and cheating. Managers just need to use their subs wisely.

Absolutely baffled that you think expecting more flowing football for your money is a bad thing as well as unachievable.

Do you go to our games? 

season 5 richard GIF

Are you trying to patent this phrase, LFEE? [emoji38]

Not only do I rarely go to games, I actualy think the experience is massively overrated and prefer the pub [emoji38] I've felt like this since like my early 20s. It's completely besides the point though as what you're suggesting isn't really obtainable.

The current most widely held belief amongst people who want to stop the clock is that we play 60 minutes of actual football (75-80 is a lot), which would be in line with Man City's current average. 

As for entertainment, how is a Luton fan going to enjoy watching their side have even less of a chance against sides with far stronger squads than them?

Football is played in bursts and a 50 minute game isn't necessarily going to be less exiting or end to end than a 60 minute one, forcing longer game time just suits a slower, more methodical, possession based, rigid possisional style play.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

13 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

season 5 richard GIF

Are you trying to patent this phrase, LFEE? [emoji38]

Not only do I rarely go to games, I actualy think the experience is massively overrated and prefer the pub [emoji38] I've felt like this since like my early 20s. It's completely besides the point though as what you're suggesting isn't really obtainable.

The current most widely held belief amongst people who want to stop the clock is that we play 60 minutes of actual football (75-80 is a lot), which would be in line with Man City's current average. 

As for entertainment, how is a Luton fan going to enjoy watching their side have even less of a chance against sides with far stronger squads than them?

Football is played in bursts and a 50 minute game isn't necessarily going to be less exiting or end to end than a 60 minute one, forcing longer game time just suits a slower, more methodical, possession based, rigid possisional style play.

So that’s a no you don’t pay anything to watch football ? I doubt it as it’s a phrase I use rarely but when I see fit. I’m sick of time wasting and cheating in the game. As the price of games goes up I’d like to think the amount of football played doesn’t decline but it has. Not sure what the big problem you have is. We’ve went from 1 sub to 5 sub in a relatively short space of time with the bench size being massively increased. If my team loses because of it so be it. I’m a football fan and I want to see football played.

The length of the game doesn’t greatly affect a teams style of play. Every team has had its styles before all this killing time came into play all with success. If Luton aren’t good enough they’ll get relegated. I’d suggest they decide to try and stay in the league by adding a little more than Ross Barkley or they just take their chances with their home form knowing the money has at least improved their stadium going forward.

PS There’s tickets still on sale as of this morning for Saturday.

Loads of people are football fans LFEE. There's 52,000 other people in the ground and someone would replace you heartbeat. With all do respect your opinion isn't as validated as you seem to think it is here. Like am I meant to be impressed that you enjoy going to matches or something? I know loads of people who do?

"The length of the game doesn’t greatly affect a teams style of play."

I never said that (although to an extent I think it inevitably would). Longer football matches will naturally benefit teams who want to dominate possession, which (other than Brighton) is basically the sides with the most expensive squads.

Personally pisses me off that every season the PL changes the rules.

For me, the time wasting, the celebrations, the showmanship is all part of the game. I've never once watched a game and thought "by there's not much football being played here". In fact, it's often the most competitive games where the ball is out of play.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Loads of people are football fans LFEE. There's 52,000 other people in the ground and someone would replace you heartbeat. With all do respect your opinion isn't as validated as you seem to think it is here. Like am I meant to be impressed that you enjoy going to matches or something? I know loads of people who do?

"The length of the game doesn’t greatly affect a teams style of play."

I never said that (although to an extent I think it inevitably would). Longer football matches will naturally benefit teams who want to dominate possession, which (other than Brighton) is basically the sides with the most expensive squads.

You’ve completely missed my point. When people are paying to go to the game whoever it is whatever the club they are generally getting sick of time wasting and cheating. I can validate it by saying I go so not only do I get frustrated with it but everyone seemingly sitting around me. This has grown as time wasting has increased and at the same time prices have.

You think differently. That’s fair enough. 

You did by saying it would suite possession based teams and you’ve implied it again in your response ?

Just now, LFEE said:

You’ve completely missed my point. When people are paying to go to the game whoever it is whatever the club they are generally getting sick of time wasting and cheating. I can validate it by saying I go so not only do I get frustrated with it but everyone seemingly sitting around me. This has grown as time wasting has increased and at the same time prices have.

You think differently. That’s fair enough. 

You did by saying it would suite possession based teams and you’ve implied it again in your response ?

I'd say they are sick of the opposition cheating etc. It's OK when their team does it.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

I'd say they are sick of the opposition cheating etc. It's OK when their team does it.

Well there’s two sets of fans in the ground and two teams. We can’t just apply the rules to the opposition ?

7 hours ago, LFEE said:

The weird tactic of putting McGinn up against Burn was what caused us a lot of trouble too.

Emery has been playing some really weird tactics in preseason, trying all sorts of out-there shit.

Guy's a magician.

15 minutes ago, brummie said:

Emery has been playing some really weird tactics in preseason, trying all sorts of out-there shit.

Guy's a magician.

I was fuming when Emery turned us down and even a bit deflated when we first got Howe instead. Obviously over the moon with Howe given how incredible he's been for us, but been mighty impressed by how Emery has come in and changed Villa around. He is definitely a smart manager with lots of ideas.

Edited by hakka

2 hours ago, TRon said:

Fair point, Barnes has only arrived very recently, Howe might want to get him up to speed before pitcing him in.

Mind you regarding Wilson he has an excellent record in his career against Villa and I know EH does think about things like that also.