Manchester City 1-0 Newcastle United (19/08/23)

Yorkie

Just now, The Prophet said:

The lads did themselves proud, limited City to less than a handful of chances and were competative throughout.

Frustratingly we never laid a glove on them. Bruno and Tonali were both decent in the middle, but Kovacic and Foden were different gravy.

Despite plenty of effort, their press was absolutely suffocating, their quality on the ball superb and they ultimately had too much quality all over the pitch.

Schar was my MotM with Botman and Bruno honourable mentions. Not a result to beat ourselves up about by any means.

I thought Bruno was pretty terrible. 

Almiron was quality I thought, but I agree Botman and Schar were imperious. 

The problem is that City are very good both physically and technically. They win nearly all the 50-50 challenges, close down very quickly and then use the ball very well.

I'm glad we at least had a go at them in the second half, and could have nicked something. If only Miggy could take advantage of the situations that he sometimes creates with his pace and hard work. But I suppose if he could, City would have got him.

I found all the pre-match celebrations and all the fawning over them very hard to take, considering the question marks over how it's been achieved financially. There seems to be a ban on mentioning that on TV.

Edited by Cronky

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

I agree when people go OTT, but Almiron and Longstaff were poor tonight. Especially the latter when he came on.

Think Longstaff's technical deficiencies were super obvious when he came on. Just not quick enough in the feet against this level of opposition at all

Hearing Rio is fucking annoying.

He just sounds stupid, then what he does say is fucking stupid.

Honestly man, no idea why he’s got a job as a pundit, surely there is a better ex Man Utd player who can arse lick who’s less of a fucking idiot, and less annoying.

Defensively sound but we seemed a bit starstruck when we had chances. It's coming.

Made no difference to the result but the ref was irritating, bookings for this but not for that when identical stuff happened.

Just now, Rich said:

Akanji might be my favourite defender in the league.

Bloke is immense. So impressive physically. Would make a bitch out of Ashley Barnes and Kevin Muscat at the same time.

Great goal nicked it but they didn't really have many chances.
We looked a bit predictable overall with the ball out to Miggy.
They are so good with positioning though. Always seems to be in the right place for second balls and their tight interplay. City, brilliant but something about that style leaves me thinking I'd get bored watching them week in week out. Maybe that's why you can spot so many empty seats...

5 minutes ago, Beren said:

They weren't IMO.

Well they were making a big show of acting nervous for some reason.

Dead nervy when we were on attack (even though the attacks were a bit shit), taking it into the corner, huge grin from Haaland when the final whistle went.

Edited by Superior Acuña

Think tonali adapted the best out of our three centre mids which is promising. Burn I love the lad but we were very limited by having to go right flank all the time by his dilly dally touch and come inside before releasing it. 

Very frustrating game. They're still levels above us and can control the majority of a game like that when they want to.

A few sporadic spells where we looked OK first half, and a decent period of about 5-10 minutes in the second. Man City appeared to actively decide to play keep-ball for the remainder at that stage, and we couldn't get the ball back off them. 

Think we can be flattered by how conservative they were with the ball, they were very risk averse tonight. And might sound daft when you've just been dominated but I'd far rather watch us every week than them. Find them a really dull watch on the whole.