AC Milan 0-0 Newcastle United (19/09/23)

Disco

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

For a competition winning local lad in the side just for the sake of it, BDB put in a magnificent shift in that second half. Won basically everything that came at him. 

Can’t argue with his defensive efforts it’s his passing in attacking  situations most moan about. 

Just now, KingArthur said:

Isak out wide doesn't really work here. He couldn't defend at all.

Thank god their crosses were awful. We really need to sort out the attacking side of the game. It's hit and hope now. Wingers very wide and no support for the CF.

His best play has been when he picks the ball up from deep and runs at the defence. He looked so isolated tonight in the number 9 position.

Results like this will be key in seeing who progresses into the knockouts or even the EL. Dropping points at home in a group like this is probably something you can't afford to do more than once and this lot have Mbappe and co to come yet. 

Pleased as!

First game back and a hard fought point, could've snatched it at the death

Overall : Newcastle Points in in Milan 3 - Mackems in Milan 0 :headbang:             - won't be too long before we've played more games in an Italian city than they have in Europe

Edited by Mag_in_NZ

To put some perspective on it, every team in our group will be seeing their home game against us as their best chance to get 3 points. Clean sheet away to last seasons CL semi finalists is  massive no matter how it came about.

My biggest concerns from this is that our players seems a bit lost in attack, and it looks like it's starting to affect them. On three occasions I noticed our attacking players arguing with each other out of frustration when an attack broke down.

Can't decide my motm between Pope, Trippier, Schar, Botman & Bruno. 

Oh, and I'd love to see our new fullbacks in action soon. 

Some of you are going on like we are expected to win the whole thing. Relegation certainties to the San Siro in two years man, and these players got us there.

I hope the people slagging off the players are told that they need a filling at their next dental check up.

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

He didn’t place it. Give the lad some slack imo. He didn’t have the best of games but he didn’t stop running all game, he - and many others - were dead on their feet at the end and he’s tried to welly it to snatch us the win. 

He gave his all I'll give him that. Needs to calm down and trust himself more. He's better than he shows a lot of times because he lacks composure.

The only thing that was really unacceptable was him throwing himself to the floor looking for fouls. Once just outside our box that could have cost us and once in their box with a great chance to shoot at goal.

Although slightly lethargic, we need to remember, these were semi finalists only last season, playing at home unbeaten in 10 at home.

We had a sneaky chance to nick it, we came away with a nice 0-0. 

They should be the ones upset that they didn't take their chances. 

Proud of Howe and the lads, it just wasn't the entertainment everyone imagined. 

7 minutes ago, pedro111 said:

Trippier was outstanding like. Pope back to his best. Longstaff great second half. Think the muggyness drained our lads.

That challenge right near the end, and then to keep it in play was world class.

Edited by JUICE690

Just now, Flip said:

Bit baffled as to why it took 90minutes to take Isak off when his legs were gone after 75ish?

One moment of genius on the break I guess. We got roasted down that side as soon as Anderson came on, despite a couple of good interceptions when he was out of positions I don’t like him in the middle 3 against anyone good.

This was our CL baptism of fire and at the end of the day gotta be happy that we escaped with a point. The gameplan went south but ultimately we showed a ton of composure in the face of pressure. Hopefully we’ve got the jitters out of the way and will be more ready to compete in the coming fixtures.

Just now, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Cracking result but I’m concerned how bad we look going forward. We were absolutely horrific on the ball today in attack, passing was shocking, movement was lethargic and no coherency in our press.

It looked like we had played a full season already just in terms of conditioning.

I'm the same the result was excellent but I don't think our new system is very good.  We need to go back to pressing the living fuck out of teams.

Just now, James said:

Some of you are going on like we are expected to win the whole thing. Relegation certainties to the San Siro in two years man, and these players got us there.

I hope the people slagging off the players are told that they need a filling at their next dental check up.

I knew it was going to be like this in the new season, but I'm actually shocked at the extent of it.

I think it's going to be a season with a lot of ups and downs at points, and the fan base will make it even more difficult for the players. 

Going to be a massive challenge for the players.