Sporting Director / Director of Football

r0cafella

52 minutes ago, PCW1983 said:

Does he bet on football should be the question. 

Don't know about that, but he has been quoted as saying - "I taught young Tonali all he knows" . . . 

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Does he speak English? 

Surprisingly, he speaks very fluently.

Never really thought about hiring a big european name for the director role. Maldini is probably not a hands-on workaholic that will immediately dig into english football's intricacies but even as a "figurehead" with a good team behind him it would give us stature that we lack across the club. Could work if he has any interest in working in England.

2 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

Not sure how I feel about that part but as a guy in his mid-30s the thought of Paolo Maldini having anything to do with my club in an official capacity is pretty exciting. 

Yeah I raised my eyebrow at that. Still sticking to my policy of doubting any links I hear too much about. That piece read like an agent's brochure.

I thought that the reason he left was because of the way the owners wanted to do things entirely differently.  And that the fans were unhappy about it. Might be totally wrong mind. 

Edited by Ikon

If Paolo takes Theo Fernandez with him it’s a big yes. If he doesn’t, it’s also a big yes.

Edited by Collage

2 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

He was sacked as sporting director last year. Why?

Well if he got the job at Newcastle, would be difficult to imagine him organising the womens team development beyond giving the nicer ones his number. Can't really see him sorting out the club infrastructure, training ground development and such either. Maybe there's literally more to him than meets the eye.

11 hours ago, Conjo said:

If his job is so easy that you can do it from home, on the sly, through an intermediary, it wouldn't be a job companies would pay millions to release the best people from their ongoing contracts to do.

Big risk for Ashworth to take too, for no gain. He'd be stupid to do it even if he could.

Not sure being at home is an indicator of whether a job is easy or not. Besides, I'm think a large portion of his job would likely be utilising his access to a network of people, communicating and research - most of which probably don't require face to face contact, especially if his existing knowledge base is largely from experience.

Which bits about Employment Contracts, Restrictive Covenants and Gardening Leave do people on here struggle to understand.

If he's "working" for Man Utd whilst still employed by us, he'll end up in court for breach of contract.

People operating at Ashworth's level in a business have access to all kinds of highly confidential details that need to be protected. NUFC and our lawyers will be watching him like a hawk. 

I've seen lawyers get involved for something as minor as a sales manager emailing a former client when they've joined a new company but are still under Restrictive Covenants. 

You can't sign an employment contract with your fingers crossed behind your back and claim skinchies when you want to break the terms. They're legally binding agreements.

Edited by bobbydazzla

6 hours ago, PCW1983 said:

Does he bet on football should be the question. 

Of course. Tonali passed him his referral code.