Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

yes swearing is an offence if directed at a match official.

IIRC the law wording is "foul and/or abusive language towards a match official" and is a red card offence.

However Graham Poll said on 5live, that officials are told to try and keep 22 players on the pitch.

spooky! i was talking to an ex work colleague who is taking his ref stuff so he can do that aswell as coaching his kids teams and that is what he said, above a certain level  (level 3 i think it was) then swearing is to be ignored "to try and keep all 22 players on the pitch" and for them to think that they aren't refereeing a football match but "managing an event" aswell. they are encouraged to let stuff go in order to keep 22 on the pitch as apparently thats what we, the fans, want, instead of wanting to see the rules applied fairly and consistently.

Just feels like this whole issue of racism needs attacking from a different direction. 'Kick it out' is a bit old hat these days IMO, so how about this as a radical alternative.

PUNCH MUTHAFUCKA

http://i.imgur.com/S0W6N.gif

I meant to type 'not having' obvoiusly.

Yeah, plenty of examples, Wraith is good one, who was that guy who was head of the independent NUFC supporters trust and kept being quoted in the media about 10 years after it was binned?

I'm just staggered at the column inches this guy is getting.

What's the guy's name that used to be quoted in the nationals whenever anything happened at NUFC? Always named as chairman of some supporters association which didn't actually seem to exist. Malcolm something or other I think.

Edit: Matt ffs.

What's the guy's name that used to be quoted in the nationals whenever anything happened at NUFC? Always named as chairman of some supporters association which didn't actually seem to exist. Malcolm something or other I think.

is he not the one who started off being an unelected nufc fans gobpieice and ended up being an England fans unelected gobpiece ?

is he not the one who started off being an unelected nufc fans gobpieice and ended up being an England fans unelected gobpiece ?

That's Kevin Miles.

Guest Slippery Sam

I meant to type 'not having' obvoiusly.

Yeah, plenty of examples, Wraith is good one, who was that guy who was head of the independent NUFC supporters trust and kept being quoted in the media about 10 years after it was binned?

I'm just staggered at the column inches this guy is getting.

I wonder how his organisation's representations to the police in respect of British record labels having the 'n' word on some of their 'urban' (rap or whatever it's called these days) stuff is going on? 

yes swearing is an offence if directed at a match official.

IIRC the law wording is "foul and/or abusive language towards a match official" and is a red card offence.

However Graham Poll said on 5live, that officials are told to try and keep 22 players on the pitch.

spooky! i was talking to an ex work colleague who is taking his ref stuff so he can do that aswell as coaching his kids teams and that is what he said, above a certain level  (level 3 i think it was) then swearing is to be ignored "to try and keep all 22 players on the pitch" and for them to think that they aren't refereeing a football match but "managing an event" aswell. they are encouraged to let stuff go in order to keep 22 on the pitch as apparently thats what we, the fans, want, instead of wanting to see the rules applied fairly and consistently.

As others have said, it's a matter of separating out swearing from abuse. Saying 'that was a fucking awful decision' is different from 'you're a wanker'. One is labelling the action, the other is labelling the person.

In practice, I think refs at the top level handle this situation pretty well - I guess they have to, otherwise they wouldn't have reached the top.

What must get tiresome for refs is the amount of moaning about decisions that goes on, whether accompanied by swear words or not. It's partly encouraged by the attitude of managers. It looks bad, and it filters down to all levels of the game, including kids.

The foul and abusive stuff really fucks me off. The amount of comeback from players in Rugby and Cricket over controversial decisions is minimal.

I liked the 10 yards rule but they fucked that up by saying you could only move forward once and I think the attacking team should have a choice to weather they use the extra 10 yards available. I think a sin bin option could help. Call me a twat - you get 10 mins in the bin, maybe have a 3 strikes and out  option as well, so foul and abusive can be treated seperately to fouls etc

The foul and abusive stuff really f***s me off. The amount of comeback from players in Rugby and Cricket over controversial decisions is minimal.

I liked the 10 yards rule but they f***ed that up by saying you could only move forward once and I think the attacking team should have a choice to weather they use the extra 10 yards available. I think a sin bin option could help. Call me a t*** - you get 10 mins in the bin, maybe have a 3 strikes and out  option as well, so foul and abusive can be treated seperately to fouls etc

The problem with most yellow cards (and bad language) is one of crime and punishment. The punishment of a yellow card and free kick is worth taking to stop a dangerous break. Moving a free kick 10 yards forward is no penalty in most cases. I think we should have sin bins for yellow cards and long penalties for cynical offences. Say a 25 yard shot at goal from the person fouled for example. Makes the punishment real, makes games have more goal action, makes clubs manage the behaviour of their players and enables refs to punish teams without going nuclear with a red card.

Frank Gilmour?

On that tottenham topic, I had a guy at my work (arsenal) fan going on about the "yids" and how my mate was a dirty "yid" I was going to call him out on it but then thought instead to ask if he knew what "yid" meant?

He did not.

So if this is found to be complete bollocks will Chelsea face any sanction?

Absolutely minimal chance. And if there are any sanctions it'll be a token £20,000 fine or something like that.

See, football isn't corrupt!

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Really does seem like Chelsea were angry at ref decisions during the game, so tried to stitch him up after it with false accusations. Wasn't this as much as Warnock said too?