Steve McClaren

Dave

What is McClaren's favoured formation?  I'm never arsed about England so don't remember when he was there and didnt see any Twente or Derby (or whatever else was in between)

http://www.football-lineups.com/coach/162/

Boro: 4-4-2

England: 4-4-2

Twente: 4-3-3

Wolfsburg: mostly 4-3-2-1

Forest: tried everything

Twente again: 4-3-3

Derby first season: 4-3-3

Derby last season: 4-1-4-1

Not a fan of 4-1-4-1 at all, and I've got a feeling that those 4-3-3 mostly tended to be 4-5-1 in reality, which usually happens. I could very well be talking out of my arse here of course, but just a feeling I've got.

Obviously those numbers amounts to very little if your players are coached to make runs and play like they've seen each other before, which hasn't happened here for a good few years.

What is McClaren's favoured formation?  I'm never arsed about England so don't remember when he was there and didnt see any Twente or Derby (or whatever else was in between)

Not a fan of 4-1-4-1 at all, and I've got a feeling that those 4-3-3 mostly tended to be 4-5-1 in reality, which usually happens. I could very well be talking out of my arse here of course, but just a feeling I've got.

Obviously those numbers amounts to very little if your players are coached to make runs and play like they've seen each other before, which hasn't happened here for a good few years.

Tbh it depends on the players we have, Arsenal use 4-1-4-1 and it's been quite effective for them and i'd say that for anyone depending on the players and the style of play.

While I am a bit of a tactics nerd I always find formations talk slightly deceptive, I have seen incredibly negative 4-1-4-1s and very positive ones (poyet's compared to wengers), same with 4-3-3 and 4-4-2s. it depends more on the tasks of the players out there (usually how many of them, especially the wingers are actually there to commit to attacks).

Man, I feel a lot better about supporting NUFC now than I did a week or so back. Baby steps, but steps in the right direction nonetheless.

Aye, this is pretty much me too. I'm sick of hating everything to do with the club and I want it to work so I can start to go back to how I was regarding the club. Being negative as fuck is starting to wear pretty thin and I just want to start enjoying NUFC again, McClaren's not who wanted but he's got it now so I'll just wait and see how it goes for a year. Binning Carver and Stone is a biggie for me, a bit of investment in 5 or 6 quality players would help and if he's as good a coach as I've heard then it augurs well.

I want it to work.  :(

Carver and Stone was a good move.

Better moves once appointed should be getting rid of Gouffran, Obertan, Willo, Riv & Saylor.

I'll never understand this sort of outlook, unless you mean getting rid of them over time. I mean the team is already thin, as much as the players you've listed are indeed pants we still need a 'squad' of players and I can't imagine we're likely to see any massive influx anytime soon.

That aside though, I hope you're right that Shuper-Mac does make better choices with the teams he picks from what we have available - it's not like he'll have much say in who we'll buy, that's for sure.

Man, I feel a lot better about supporting NUFC now than I did a week or so back. Baby steps, but steps in the right direction nonetheless.

Aye, this is pretty much me too. I'm sick of hating everything to do with the club and I want it to work so I can start to go back to how I was regarding the club. Being negative as fuck is starting to wear pretty thin and I just want to start enjoying NUFC again, McClaren's not who wanted but he's got it now so I'll just wait and see how it goes for a year. Binning Carver and Stone is a biggie for me, a bit of investment in 5 or 6 quality players would help and if he's as good a coach as I've heard then it augurs well.

I want it to work.  :(

This is pretty much my look on the whole thing, willing to give him time, and getting rid of Carver is a good start. If next season we finish in the top 10 and have a good run in the cup, and play some decent non hoofball football and there are signs of progression, I will be happy, thats all I want after 4 years of shite.

I'm looking forward to the 3-5-2 we'll be playing this season.

I'm looking forward to the 3-5-2 we'll be playing this season.

Now we just need to sign 3 center-backs