Steve McClaren

Dave

Call me a typical deluded English fanboy, but if as a coach you can't get a team through the qualifying phases to a European Championships with every English player at your disposal, then you should just give up and re-train as a caretaker.

But instead he took a Dutch team whose previous 10 league campaigns had finished with them anywhere between 4th and 12th and led them to a runners up spot and then the following season to the title.

I wouldn't use the England job as a yardstick anyway, just about every English manager has been hounded out after an embarrassing failure somewhere along the line including SBR.

He was unlucky England?  The only manager to fail to qualify for a major championship in 20 years?  Was he also unlucky at Wolfsburg or Forest?  Even his second spell at Twente and the final part of Derby?  He's had two successes in his career.  Middlesbrough, where they were pretty big spenders, and Twente.

By saying he's World Class you're putting him the category of Mourinho & Ancelotti.  Which means your fishing or utterly mental.

I won't class Derby as a failure . He has left them in a better position he found them although he should have at least made the playoffs. Even the highly regarded managers in England have had blips in their career Pochettino in his last season at Espanyol, Koeman at Valencia who was sacked despite winning a trophy in the same season, Martinez relegating Wigan etc.. .As a manager who has never relegated a team I'd say it's more of a risk for him managing us then us appointing him, given our league performances in the past 3 seasons and the resources he will work with .

Derby were 10th the season before he took over and were 8th when he was sacked.  Not exactly left them massively up the table after two years.  I'd say his time at Derby wasn't a failure but it wasn't really a success either.  Manager's do have blips but McClaren has more failure than success.

He's not a tragedy of a manager, but his record does not qualify him to manage a club like Newcastle.  The fact that it's been a decade since a Premier League club has given him a job surely emphasises this.

:lol: It does sound bad the way you're stating it but when you look in detail they finished 1 point less than the  5th and 14 points better than the 10th team.  That gives a better idea of their progress than only their league position.

Not to mention their style of play...DCFC forums have all been saying he's had them playing the best stuff they'd seen for years.

Call me a typical deluded English fanboy, but if as a coach you can't get a team through the qualifying phases to a European Championships with every English player at your disposal, then you should just give up and re-train as a caretaker.

But instead he took a Dutch team whose previous 10 league campaigns had finished with them anywhere between 4th and 12th and led them to a runners up spot and then the following season to the title.

Didn't AZ Alkmaar win the league the season before?  It was a bit of a weird time in the dutch league in general it would seem.  Still certainly a success though.  Not sure what was happening with the normal dutch big teams though.

i think he'll be decent for us - it could be a whole lot worse!!!

He's highly thought of in the football world, don't get the England job or become Alex Ferguson's assistant if you're not a half decent coach.

As has been mentioned before, the key is whether he is allowed to bring his own assistant/coaches in.

If he can/does, then I'll feel slightly more optimistic.

However, if he retains Carver, Stone, etc, then I can't see much changing on the pitch.

After all, its these clowns who have been 'coaching' the players for the last 4 or 5 years!

Not particularly given it's league position that actually matters.  But I get your point and as I say I don't see it as a failure, just not success either.

I would agree with this, but to be fair to SM, Derby were nowhere near being play off contenders when he took the job. They obviously ended this season very badly, but I think people who call him a 'failure' at Derby are harsh/biased.

Flicked on Premier League Years 05/06 and within 30 seconds McClaren had a season ticket thrown at him, 5 minutes later his Boro side are beating Mourinho's Chelsea 3-0. That's still the most goals that one of his Chelsea sides have lost by, guess we'll have some decent performances but all of his sides seem to have had an ability to get absolutely dicked on.

Sounds familiar...

Guest firetotheworks

i think he'll be decent for us - it could be a whole lot worse!!!

He's highly thought of in the football world, don't get the England job or become Alex Ferguson's assistant if you're not a half decent coach.

Brian Kidd, Avram Grant, John Carver, Stuart Pearce just off the top of my head have worked with Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourihno, Sir Bobby Robson and Fabio Capello . It's pointless logic really, all of them to a man are terrible.

He was unlucky England?  The only manager to fail to qualify for a major championship in 20 years?  Was he also unlucky at Wolfsburg or Forest?  Even his second spell at Twente and the final part of Derby?  He's had two successes in his career.  Middlesbrough, where they were pretty big spenders, and Twente.

By saying he's World Class you're putting him the category of Mourinho & Ancelotti.  Which means your fishing or utterly mental.

I won't class Derby as a failure . He has left them in a better position he found them although he should have at least made the playoffs. Even the highly regarded managers in England have had blips in their career Pochettino in his last season at Espanyol, Koeman at Valencia who was sacked despite winning a trophy in the same season, Martinez relegating Wigan etc.. .As a manager who has never relegated a team I'd say it's more of a risk for him managing us then us appointing him, given our league performances in the past 3 seasons and the resources he will work with .

Derby were 10th the season before he took over and were 8th when he was sacked.  Not exactly left them massively up the table after two years.  I'd say his time at Derby wasn't a failure but it wasn't really a success either.  Manager's do have blips but McClaren has more failure than success.

He's not a tragedy of a manager, but his record does not qualify him to manage a club like Newcastle.  The fact that it's been a decade since a Premier League club has given him a job surely emphasises this.

:lol: It does sound bad the way you're stating it but when you look in detail they finished 1 point less than the  5th and 14 points better than the 10th team.  That gives a better idea of their progress than only their league position.

Not to mention their style of play...DCFC forums have all been saying he's had them playing the best stuff they'd seen for years.

Derby County was the only time in his career he has played anything other than defensive football though.  Twente were a success but all three seasons he spent there (the two good and one bad) he had the 2nd best defense in the league but a relatively poor attack.  Middlesbrough he was obviously well known for poor quality football.  I seem to remember the football being crap under him for England.  Didn't see Wolfsburg or Forest under him but those were train wrecks regardless of style.

Maybe he has recently changed his style or maybe it is something of a one off.

We could get Mourinho in and it wouldn't matter, the squad is f***ing dog s*** and we're spending f*** all.

I'd argue the squad is so bad because the previous manager got rid of a good number of the players for no real reason.

Secondly, we probably have been so impotent in the market due to Pardew never being in agreement completely.

It's really going to be interesting to see how the recruitment goes with a manager that is on board with Carr. It will be the first indication of whether this is going to have a chance to work out at all or not.

Sad, sad place this, more and more coming round to the appointment. This is why we have such an apathetic fan base who refuse to get off their arse and effect change.

Accepting this at best mediocre appointment, just says you are happy with Ashley's blueprint of mediocrity and collecting that TV money, this guy's not going to win us anything, change drastically the way we play, excite the fan base or bring back thejoy that it can be following this football club.

But you all accept it because lets face it, it's the best that we have the right to hope for and at least it's not Carver.

Sad, sad place this, more and more coming round to the appointment. This is why we have such an apathetic fan base who refuse to get off their arse and effect change.

Accepting this at best mediocre appointment, just says you are happy with Ashley's blueprint of mediocrity and collecting that TV money, this guy's not going to win us anything, change drastically the way we play, excite the fan base or bring back thejoy that it can be following this football club.

But you all accept it because lets face it, it's the best that we have the right to hope for and at least it's not Carver.

This. Pardew divided opinion for too long, I get a horrible feeling it's going to happen again. My gut feeling with Pardew was a no mark chancer and failure,  but I was willing to back him and give him a chance. I'm going with my gut feeling that this is an uninspired appointment reinforcing mediocrity and will end in tears.

Wasted opportunity, nothing will change under Ashley and I'm not accepting it or coming to terms with it.

No one can get us to win anything unless we start spending serious money on the squad. As for changing the way we play, I am assuming he might be able to do that since the teams he's put out are usually passing ones and not long ball. The question mark would be whether he can provide entertaining football and that should be determined within a month or two.

This. Pardew divided opinion for too long, I get a horrible feeling it's going to happen again. My gut feeling with Pardew was a no mark chancer and failure,  but I was willing to back him and give him a chance. I'm going with my gut feeling that this is an uninspired appointment reinforcing mediocrity and will end in tears.

Wasted opportunity, nothing will change under Ashley and I'm not accepting it or coming to terms with it.

Nothing like the Pardew appointment for me. I never backed him from day one because of the Mascherano/Tevez outrage, but McClaren I need to see more of before I form an opinion.

What do you want people to do?  :lol:

A lot of people, like me, have walked away from SJP and wont go back until he goes or there is serious changes. So most are just discussing the appointment. I've said if he's given some decent players I actually think he might do alright - that's just my gut feeling. I dont understand what else I'm expected to do?  :lol:

How on Earth are some people equating "I'm so despondent about the club in general that I really can't be bothered to be angry about Steve McClaren being our manager" to "coming round to the appointment."

How on Earth are some people equating "I'm so despondent about the club in general that I really can't be bothered to be angry about Steve McClaren being our manager" to "coming round to the appointment."

Aye it's ridiculous. Anyone who says anything remotely positive about McClaren is in the wrong! Even if you don't go to SJP any more and don't even want SM to get the job  ;D

However, it's perfectly acceptable to want Vieira (even though he would only ever have come if Ashley could have got him cheap...)

We could get Mourinho in and it wouldn't matter, the squad is f***ing dog s*** and we're spending f*** all.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uC4AdrH9ykM/T3OQcM3ewpI/AAAAAAAAA3Y/9olgpYbLd_Q/s1600/judge-judy-laptop.gif