Abdoulaye Faye signs for Stoke for £2.25m

Theregulars

Faye held us together? I'd say at the back Harper and Beye did in terms of performances and in Beye, commitment and leadership. Held us together being a stretch like... we shipped in tons of goals and were generally a complete mess back there, and in midfield and up top until KK switched things.

Beye should be captain btw.

Good shout, he for me is a star and not just in terms of ability either. One of the very few bright spots of last season.

Ability, leadership, commitment to the cause, he showed it all last season. He should definitely be captain for me.

Always thought Faye was miles better than Taylor, will be sad to see him go.  Would've loved to see Coloccini/Faye at CB, strong arming the hell out of the likes of Rooney.

That's another good point tbh, whatever the overall consensus on Faye, he's miles stronger than Taylor.

Faye held us together? I'd say at the back Harper and Beye did in terms of performances and in Beye, commitment and leadership. Held us together being a stretch like... we shipped in tons of goals and were generally a complete mess back there, and in midfield and up top until KK switched things.

Good shout, he for me is a star and not just in terms of ability either. One of the very few bright spots of last season.

Ability, leadership, commitment to the cause, he showed it all last season. He should definitely be captain for me.

He would be if it wasn't for the emotional blackmail played on Owen to commit to the club, both contractually and in spirit. IMO.

He would be if it wasn't for the emotional blackmail played on Owen to commit to the club, both contractually and in spirit. IMO.

Bang on.

Faye's dominance was made clearer than ever at West Ham. Ashton and Zamora absolutely bossed Taylor and Edgar. Saying "we're replacing him with Coloccini" is all well and good but we should be replacing our weaker players, not our best ones.

Guest Howaythetoon

KK may have used it as a tactic in that way, but it wouldn't come at the expense of genuine football reasons. I think handing Owen the captaincy made good football sense too (for KK anyway), and also got rid of them OMG KK and Owen hate each other stories...

We're going to be struggling to name a team and subs if we're sacking all these players off. Edgar is gash btw, nowhere near Premiership standard, would prefer Ramage to him, at least Ramage was strong(ish).

To the people who think Faye got on the wrong side of KK, what did he do?

Someone earlier mentioned that words were exchanged when Faye was taken off at half time in the Everton game.

Ok, I agree that some of us (myself included) may be over estimating Faye, but given the club's inability to sign even half-decent defenders I think frustration is an appropriate response. Kind of the way Boumsong was overrated by fans during his first half-season with the team. We wanted to believe....

but given the club's inability to sign even half-decent defenders I think frustration is an appropriate response.

Coloccini? Assuming he has signed.

Hope you're right. We'll see how he does.

Anyway,  I'd argue that Faye is the best CB signing since Woodgate. Not saying much.

Keegan/Newcastle didn't buy anyone in the last transfer window so surely any money that was set aside for that window has been earning interest since (even if it's only in the mind of what Mike Ashley is willing to spend)?

I can't see why we'd sell Faye for £2m.

These last few weeks of the transfer window aren't going to be for the faint hearted. Let's just hope Newcastle's new hierarchy are good poker players. I can imagine a few deals going through at the literal last minute.

Numbers wise isn't the squad even smaller than it was last year at the moment?

Faye was another of the few bright spots. I will be very disappointed to see Faye go. It's putting an awful lot of pressure on Colo too as we can't afford to not play him so he will need to hit the ground running and we all know defenders from foreign leagues sometimes take time to get used to the pace and physicality of the Premiership.. For the reported 2 million, it just doesn't seem a risk worth taking to me.. I'd rather we keep Faye and let Edgar go on a loan to some Championship team to see if he shows enough potential to offer him a new deal (just one year left iirc)..

If this is true then Faye must have been unsettled, and Keegan must have faith that Bassong can figure in as a stable substitute from the start. This puzzles me, though, because if we were to lose any CB, it should be Edgar on loan.

Hehe, was just typing the same thing re Edgar. Bassong looks promising so far, but the reaction of the fans of his old club at the news of him leaving them really has me worried; he was their very own Bramble..

Sure they are not on about amady Faye by mistake coz he has been on trial there NUFC.COM seem to think bbc has made a error ???

Yeah, I'm still not convinced by this story. He could surely do better than Stoke, and I can't see why he'd be training with them before he's signed. He's not a player that would need a trial.

I'm a bit baffled by some of the comments on here. I thought that Faye was not only our best defender, but a long way ahead of whoever you'd nominate as number two. Beye was a real asset in supporting the attack and was a very good buy, but he could be vulnerable from the defensive point of view.

If this is true then Faye must have been unsettled, and Keegan must have faith that Bassong can figure in as a stable substitute from the start. This puzzles me, though, because if we were to lose any CB, it should be Edgar on loan.

Hehe, was just typing the same thing re Edgar. Bassong looks promising so far, but the reaction of the fans of his old club at the news of him leaving them really has me worried; he was their very own Bramble..

He looked to me like the opposite of Bramble ie quite comfortable on the ball, but possibly not that strong. If Bassong can cope with the aerial challenges of Premiership strikers, then he'd be a real find.

Faye was superb as a DCM against Chelski too, I will be sad to see him go but from the sounds of it this deal is because he wants it and not because we want to sell..

What are these sounds?

Other than because it doesn't make any sense....?

He looked to me like the opposite of Bramble ie quite comfortable on the ball, but possibly not that strong. If Bassong can cope with the aerial challenges of Premiership strikers, then he'd be a real find.

A lot of comments were about his lack of concentration and how his errors cost them points, which reminded me of Bramble. There were comments about how they would snap our hands of for 2 million. It was a lot like a certain thread on this board about a certain Alan Smith possibly joining Everton, and because they were the ones who had been seeing this lad play every match for a couple of seasons I find that quite worrying.. Either way, I don't feel particularly confident selling our best central defender of last season to bring in two new defenders from other leagues who may need time to adapt (one as a squad player on a small price tag and a questionnable reputation)..

Sure they are not on about amady Faye by mistake coz he has been on trial there NUFC.COM seem to think bbc has made a error ???

Yeah, I'm still not convinced by this story. He could surely do better than Stoke, and I can't see why he'd be training with them before he's signed. He's not a player that would need a trial.

I'm a bit baffled by some of the comments on here. I thought that Faye was not only our best defender, but a long way ahead of whoever you'd nominate as number two. Beye was a real asset in supporting the attack and was a very good buy, but he could be vulnerable from the defensive point of view.

I think Beye's an excellent defender but other than that I agree with you. Faye's rep seemed to plummet because of one rick against Birmingham.