Coloccini wants out; Sevilla confirm interest

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest fading star

Enrique got caught out after pushing up to support the attack bassong was on his way over to cover for Enrique, this should mean that the other two remaining defenders drift over a bit to cover the space left, Taylor did this and was picking up his man, Colo got caught in two minds on what to do and by the time he  seen the gap he had left it was to late an Gardner had ran into it. Myabe Taylor should have been shotung to Colo to move over and that he has his man covered.

Enrique was at fault a bit for not getting back quick enough, Taylor for maybe a little bit of lack of comunication but mainly it was down to Colo to pick up Gardner and he got nowhere near him.

You don't do zonal marking in that situation, you man mark you don't just leave a man because there's a bit of empty space, that's stupid. Taylor should have communicated to Colo that the man was coming because in man for man marking Gardner is Taylor's man, now he shouldn't have been running with him everywhere but he should've known exactly where he was, and he did see him but failed to communicate the danger, how is that Coloccini's fault.

CB's aren't meant to track the run of a LM or any midfielder for that matter, especially when playing against a 4-4-2.

Next week Gallowgate Toon explains why Taylor is to blame for the credit crunch.

Seriously? Steven Taylor was to blame for the goal, and not anybody else.

I'm far from a Taylor fan but come on, that's just wrong. Enrique failed to stop the cross, Bassong was marking nobody, Coloccini got caught in two minds, Taylor was nowhere and nobody tracked the runner from our midfield. It was s**** all round.

How was Coloccini in two minds? He was the only one actually marking anybody. Mr Taylor, wandering around in the middle near nobody, why isn't he shouting for Coloccini to push up?

I thought it was more Taylor's fault tbh. He should have either screamed at Colo to take Gardner while he picked up the other man or intercepted Gardner himself. To me it looked like he did neither.

I thought (distribution aside) Colo played really well.  Harper didn't have a save to make, apart from the goal, in the whole match.  We had a number of good opportunities at the other end to take something from the game.  It was our profligacy in front of goal that cost us.

I'm far from a Taylor fan but come on, that's just wrong. Enrique failed to stop the cross, Bassong was marking nobody, Coloccini got caught in two minds, Taylor was nowhere and nobody tracked the runner from our midfield. It was s**** all round.

How was Coloccini in two minds? He was the only one actually marking anybody. Mr Taylor, wandering around in the middle near nobody, why isn't he shouting for Coloccini to push up?

He was caught in two minds (stick to his man or try and block off Gardner once he saw him) because there was a lack of communication back there. Which is yet another fault between them.

You said Taylor was the only person at fault. I think that's nonsense.

ST was expecting Collocini to go and intercept the runner. What with Collocini being about ten yards nearer to Gardner when he picked up the ball in acres of space.

ST had ran over to mark the man without the ball, thereby freeing Collocini to deal with the player with possession of the white round thing, who was running unchallenged into our box. Thats how it should be done. Taylor was playing right back, not sweeper. His job isnt to run across his central defenders. By the time ST had worked out Collocini had just invented a new, and radical way of defending as a team, there was nothing he could do.

<b>Collocini failed to react to the threat. He just stood there like a statue waiting for somebody else to deal with the developing threat. Like his habit of turning his back on shots, it displays a lack of courage. </b>

Spot on entirely Coloccini fault continues to cost us goals and matches.

I blame the midfield for the goal, tbh. Colo did his job, I reckon.

Exactly, our midfield is the achilles heel of the side and the the opposition runners through our sieve like midfield throw the defence out of sync as they have to come out to meet the threat.

He was caught in two minds (stick to his man or try and block off Gardner once he saw him) because there was a lack of communication back there. Which is yet another fault between them.

Having been a defender myself when I played football I can tell you that the one thing which used to piss me off more than anything else was players not picking anyone up. Coloccini might have had the wrong man for whatever reason but at least he was marking someone. Who was Taylor marking? From where I was it looked like he was stood by himself like a spectator without a clue who was around him. THAT is unforgiveable.

Having been a defender myself when I played football I can tell you that the one thing which used to piss me off more than anything else was players not picking anyone up. Coloccini might have had the wrong man for whatever reason but at least he was marking someone. Who was Taylor marking? From where I was it looked like he was stood by himself like a spectator without a clue who was around him. THAT is unforgiveable.

while I dont believe Taylor, and only Taylor was at fault for the goal, this post is pretty hard to argue with.

Far, far too many times we've conceded goals because the ball has been swept in from out wide and someone has met it from close range, with Taylor doing precisely NOTHING to help our cause, he's a liability man.

His lapses of concentration kill me sometimes. Then there are times where hes running to get the ball in the back, does a step over to go outside and in 1 swift motion kicks it back to Harper. He's a ball playing CB, and my word that shot he had woulda tore the net off, he has some technique with playing the long ball and striking...

So many times when hes sheilding a man off, he ooozes class with his ball playing ability...He just needs Beye back, and I think the defense will be much stronger...Beye is our best defender by a mile.

Okay after watching the goal again we can blame three of the back four for the gaol Enrique, Bassong and Colo, Bassong did nothing really, went over to late and got nowhere near the man or the ball once it was crossed, him doing that stranded Colo. Enrique got sucked in then got left way behind play, Colo did not see Gardner at all or the space that Bassong left, a poor lack of awarness.

His lapses of concentration kill me sometimes. Then there are times where hes running to get the ball in the back, does a step over to go outside and in 1 swift motion kicks it back to Harper. He's a ball playing CB, and my word that shot he had woulda tore the net off, he has some technique with playing the long ball and striking...

So many times when hes sheilding a man off, he ooozes class with his ball playing ability...He just needs Beye back, and I think the defense will be much stronger...Beye is our best defender by a mile.

The defence just isn't the same without Habib. He marshalls them, looks after a number of their mistakes and generally runs the unit. He's a huge miss.

Guest float one in

He's definitely made mistakes but you have to expect that with a foreign defender's first season in the Premier League. There is no doubt, however, that the back four get the absolute minumum of protection from our midfield - we have to be the easiest centre midfield to run/pass through in the whole division, and in that sort of environment its going to make it even harder. Added to that the fact that we just can't keep posession against decent teams, and the whole defence, including keeper, is just on a hiding to nowt.

I have seen enough to think he is a genuine top class defender (you don't play 20 odd games for Argentina if you're not), and would hope that he'd have fully come to terms with the league next season. I'd like to think he might turn out to be a Carvalho type player, alongside a more physical Terry-type player who's going to come and win everyhting in the air (Bassong). Obviously the potential problem with that is that there's a very good chance we could be even worse next season and maybe even in the Championship.

Whether he's worth 10 million or whatever it was we paid for him is a tricky one. Although, as I said, I do rate him I get a feeling he might be the type of player who might have been better off staying in Spain or Italy... he's classy on the ball and very strong in a one on one situation on the deck, it just seems to be the pace of the play over here that catches him out sometimes. Hopefully next season we'll see if he's got it in him to adjust.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Heneage

He just needs to settle down. He's looked very calm the first half then all of a sudden he balls up that simple chance. Just get him and settle him down he's doing well.

He just needs to settle down. He's looked very calm the first half then all of a sudden he balls up that simple chance. Just get him and settle him down he's doing well.

That mistake was shockingly bad, probably because he's just moved to left centre back for the first time in a long time.

His mistakes seem to be playing on his mind, snowballing and getting worse as a result.

Very Boumsong-esque, hope he can snap out of it before it does him.

End of the season can't get here soon enough for him. We'll know a couple of months into next year what we have with him, unless we go down i which case he'll be off obviously.

Another player who will not have to pay the price for his poor performances this year as I imagine many clubs in Spain will be happy to take him back for pennies in the summer.

The frightening thing is that as we become more and more likely to be relegated, he has less and less incentive to get his act back together and adjust to the prem. He can just sleepwalk through the rest of the season, chalk off Newcastle as a bad dream, and get back to playing in the league he's used to.