RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Part of me wants Ashley to carry on next year then at least some stability will be in place (albeit until the next crisis)

The sensible side of me still wants the fat cunt out!

I have to say, it's starting to look like the only real possibilities are either Ashley staying on for another year, or a Shepherd consortium which will be struggling for cash. Out of those two options, and considering the fact I think it's highly unlikely we'll be promoted next season no matter who the new owner is, I think I'd have to go with the best option being Ashley staying simply so he has to shoulder the burden of next year's wage bill.

The Shepherds can wait until next season to be our saviours again when the club has less liabilities.

Ashley had a good chance to get out the last time the club was up for sale (possibly at a profit).  Nobody met his unrealistic inflated asking price back then.  Perhaps the same is true now. :(

i honestly think putting the club up then was a publicity exercise and he deliberatly put a ridiculous price so either, he sells at a stupid price or he ends up keeping it which he wanted.

as has been said a few times on here i think his plan was to stop up with minimum investment till he could get shot of the high wage earners then invest through the clubs earnings and sustainable debt.

I am starting to believe that he cannot have a buyer at the terms he is sticking out for and no longer cares how far we fall.

The club has to have leadership at this critical time and he is preventing it by speculating on salvaging a buck or two.

You have lost this gamble you idiot, try somewhere else to regain your money.

For pities sake Ashley begone and let us get on with salvaging what you and your predecessor have ruined!!

Ashley had a good chance to get out the last time the club was up for sale (possibly at a profit).  Nobody met his unrealistic inflated asking price back then.  Perhaps the same is true now. :(

i honestly think putting the club up then was a publicity exercise and he deliberatly put a ridiculous price so either, he sells at a stupid price or he ends up keeping it which he wanted.

as has been said a few times on here i think his plan was to stop up with minimum investment till he could get shot of the high wage earners then invest through the clubs earnings and sustainable debt.

Nah, that theory doesn't hold water at all. He'd have got a full time manager in (until the end of the season at least) from the start. The only reason we ended up with Kinnear is because noone else would take the job for only a month. If he never intended to sell he wouldn't have limited himself like that, nor would he have abandoned his DoF structure.

Edit: To clarify, I do think his price last time was too high, I just don't think that was intentional so he could keep the club.

Nah, that theory doesn't hold water at all. He'd have got a full time manager in (until the end of the season at least) from the start. The only reason we ended up with Kinnear is because noone else would take the job for only a month. If he never intended to sell he wouldn't have limited himself like that, nor would he have abandoned his DoF structure.

i think he'd have abandoned the DoF to keep shearer if we'd stopped up. the kinnear point could be right though.

i think he'd have abandoned the DoF to keep shearer if we'd stopped up. the kinnear point could be right though.

Appointing Shearer temporarily as a last ditch attempt to stay up last season I can understand, but I really can't see Ashley ever giving Shearer the job permanently. He'd be putting himself in exactly the same position with Shearer as he was with Keegan - a demanding manager with the supporters on his side. I think Shearer would be every bit as likely to walk as Keegan if he didn't get what he was promised, and I don't think he'd have taken the job in the Premiership unless he was promised significant funds.

Why wont the arse just accept it.  He's had bids but hes being so unreasonable.

I've heard some of the bidders will repay some of the loan along with servicing the overdraft at a slightly reduced fee for the club.  He wants 100m, the overdraft servicing and the 100m loan repayed as in installments but way above the current base rate.  So really any owner could end up paying anything from 250m-300m.

IS HE A FECKING LUNATIC.

Man City were bought for 60m or something and he wants 300m for a championship club.

I've heard some of the bidders will repay some of the loan along with servicing the overdraft at a slightly reduced fee for the club.  He wants 100m, the overdraft servicing and the 100m loan repayed as in installments but way above the current base rate.  So really any owner could end up paying anything from 250m-300m.

IS HE A FECKING LUNATIC.

Man City were bought for 60m or something and he wants 300m for a championship club.

source ?

IS HE A FECKING LUNATIC.

source ?

Someone I know, his wife works at the club.  Thats where I heard that he'd stopped all dealings with the club (not doing anything with regards to advertsing, getting sponsors in) and wouldn't appoint a manager, had sent half the staff home.  Also told me last week she was sent home when they showed the consortium around. 

It's all rumour based but it would explain why the club hasn't been sold and someone else told me they'd heard the same.

Appointing Shearer temporarily as a last ditch attempt to stay up last season I can understand, but I really can't see Ashley ever giving Shearer the job permanently. He'd be putting himself in exactly the same position with Shearer as he was with Keegan - a demanding manager with the supporters on his side. I think Shearer would be every bit as likely to walk as Keegan if he didn't get what he was promised, and I don't think he'd have taken the job in the Premiership unless he was promised significant funds.

Very interesting point you make. You really have to wonder if this is what prompted the desire to sell the club this time around.

It did appear as though Mike Ashley was all set to appoint Shearer and make a go of getting us back up, but after they met something changed. It's like Ashley knew he wouldn't be able to meet Shearer's demands and so couldn't secure him as manager, which meant another Keegan scenario was likely. Hence the selling up or the pretense that he would? Just like he did after the Keegan fiasco?

We are at the point where it would probably be less harmful if Ashley just came out and said he wasn't selling the club and would instead make an effort to get it back on track, but at the same time he couldn't appoint Shearer as manager. Then appoint a manager (i.e. not Kinnear) get rid of the players we can't afford and get in a bunch of talented but affordable youngsters in the mould of the Guthries and Bassongs etc and hope it works out. 

I don't know why anyone's even worried.  Ashley has set the club up for stability and long term improvement.  Someone on here told me that, so let's just chill the fuck out eh.

:lol:

IS HE A FECKING LUNATIC.

source ?

Someone I know, his wife works at the club.  Thats where I heard that he'd stopped all dealings with the club (not doing anything with regards to advertsing, getting sponsors in) and wouldn't appoint a manager, had sent half the staff home.  Also told me last week she was sent home when they showed the consortium around. 

It's all rumour based but it would explain why the club hasn't been sold and someone else told me they'd heard the same.

It is rumour but I could believe it. I've never been convinced that Ashley would just write off £110 million or whatever of debt. He's never said the debt was written off and the asking price was £100 million to buy the club, implying you take on all debt. I think his starting point is that he is prepared to lose £34 or £35million on what he paid for the club but he wants everything else back. It's going nowhere if he digs in on this imo. 

The problem is the longer it drags on, the less any buyer will be willing to pay due to the amount of work involved in a shorter timeframe and the increased risk of not coming straight back up. If Ashley won't accept less there's a real danger that we simply come to a stalemate. Ashley clearly misjudged just how interested people would be in the initial £100m price tag, thinking someone would quickly snap it up.

We're probably close to the point at which Freddy Shepherd's £60m bid starts looking interesting...

Aye.

Let's not  forget also, he probably didn't even have to look at the books. he he...

True or not, the situation in the Guardian article is basically our worst nightmare and something which is looking more and more likely with each passing day - potential buyers scared off when they see the books and drifting into the new season with no players, effectively no owner and effectively no manager.

True or not, the situation in the Guardian article is basically our worst nightmare and something which is looking more and more likely with each passing day - potential buyers scared off when they see the books and drifting into the new season with no players, effectively no owner and effectively no manager.

Have said it somewhere in this thread, you can't be asking for a 100m for a club that costs 20m every 3 months to run (as is).

He (MA) is either greedy or doesn't want to sell.

Have said it somewhere in this thread, you can't be asking for a 100m for a club that costs 20m every 3 months to run (as is).

He (MA) is either greedy or doesn't want to sell.

I think he's greedy and now doesnt give a shit what happens to the club.  I've a feeling he'd rather run us into the ground and asset strip than he would accept a lower price

It makes no sense. Mike Ashley wants to sell but the closer we get to the start of the season and the end of the transfer window the club's worth decreases. Who'd buy the club near the end of the transfer window? They'd have next to no time to make any changes. Once the window closes there is no incentive to buy it. He'll never find anyone willing to pay £100m and service a £100m loan on top. Buyers could buy a Premiership club for a hell of a lot less. The fact that the club will have hardly any paying fans by the start of the season surely reduces the value of the club too.

as melodramatic as that sounds, it does seem to be happening :(

there doesn't seem to be any light at the end of a very long dark tunnel

and to use the old adage, in our case the light at the end of the tunnel will probably be an oncoming train.

Nothing he's done even remotely suggests that.

Wages went up under him for a start.

I agree he didn't want to sell the first time.

IS HE A FECKING LUNATIC.

source ?

Pompey 20m

Villa 42m