Ashley to keep club, put £20m in and consider stadium naming rights

Ashley17

I really don't see the problem with naming rights. Free money basically, and who the fuck will call it "The Northern Rock Arena" or whatever anyway? Still is, and always will be St James'.

It's not like these new stadiums (JJB, Reebok, Emirates) where the brand name is all that it's been known as as it didn't have a previous name.

And like I say, everyone still refers to the Gallowgate & Leazes rather than Exhibition & Sir John Hall stand, so really think it's mountains out of molehills tbh.

Let's change the colour of our kits to Sports Direct's red and blue too then.

Infact, let's change the name of the club, the kit colours and move it to a place nowhere near where it comes from.

MK Magpies should do the trick.

Couldn't give a flying fuck about the naming rights thing, free advertising revenue as far as I'm concerned with absolutely no cost attached to it, it'll still be St James' Park to me.

It's the principle of it. You can't tell me the fucking prick doesn't know that it will piss people off.

I really don't see the problem with naming rights. Free money basically, and who the f*** will call it "The Northern Rock Arena" or whatever anyway? Still is, and always will be St James'.

It's not like these new stadiums (JJB, Reebok, Emirates) where the brand name is all that it's been known as as it didn't have a previous name.

And like I say, everyone still refers to the Gallowgate & Leazes rather than Exhibition & Sir John Hall stand, so really think it's mountains out of molehills tbh.

Infact, let's change the name of the club, the kit colours and move it to a place nowhere near where it comes from.

We're trying to get a few extra million quid in the bank by sponsoring.

Nowhere near as bad as what you're describing.

I really don't see the problem with naming rights. Free money basically, and who the f*** will call it "The Northern Rock Arena" or whatever anyway? Still is, and always will be St James'.

It's principle mate.

You can't go fucking around with history.

Ask York City what they think of the 'Kit Kat Crescent'.

Couldn't give a flying fuck about the naming rights thing, free advertising revenue as far as I'm concerned with absolutely no cost attached to it, it'll still be St James' Park to me.

I really don't see the problem with naming rights. Free money basically, and who the fuck will call it "The Northern Rock Arena" or whatever anyway? Still is, and always will be St James'.

I am inclined to agree, but i'll wait to see the details. If it is something like the Cellnet Riverside, which included the real and sponsored name, and was only for a specific time period rather than indeterminate, i don't have a problem with it. But I also get the feeling Ashley's done this to goad some elements of the fanbase.

It's the principle of it. You can't tell me the fucking prick doesn't know that it will piss people off.

Principles matter for fuck all in football, surely the Sky era has taught you that.

Do you sit in the Sir John Hall Stand or the Leazes End?

Despite the appointment of Hughton and taking the club off the market, trivial though it may seem in comparison I think the stadium name rights thing will send most fans over the edge.

Arsenal got £100m but I wouldn't take all of man cities money for it

f*** off you despicable c***

Baring in mind they're in the Champions League and we're in the Championship, we'd be lucky to get 1/10th of that.

And that's over 15 years iirc.

fuck off you despicable cunt

well unfortunately the timing is shite. had we done this when we were in the premiership we would've made a mint from naming rights, but who the fuck cares about sponsoring some shitty championship club.

also i believe arsenal's deal included shirt sponsorship too.

Principles matter for fuck all in football, surely the Sky era has taught you that.

Do you sit in the Sir John Hall Stand or the Leazes End?

The Leazes FWIW, but there's a big difference between naming a stand after someone and flogging the name of 100 years of history down the river.

YOU FAT COCKNEY BASTARD.....

What an absolute cunt.  I could have forgave him giving Hughton the job, taking the club off the market I had accepted would happen till next season, but renaming SJP, FUCK OFF.

Boycotting may be the way forward for some, but I intend to protest to fuck at the next home match (Peterborough?) if the statement isnt retracted.  Scouse did an alright protest and got massive TV coverage on Sunday, I say we get exactly the same movement going.  All fanzines etc group together.

Guest Stephen927

f*** off you despicable c***

£100 mil for how long?

15 years iirc.

It's principle mate.

You can't go f***ing around with history.

Ask York City what they think of the 'Kit Kat Crescent'.

And seeing as though the sponsorship could last a very long time could you imagine your grandkids saying "Grandad, are we going to the sports direct stadium?" They wont know any better , but its just so wrong .

Obviously the naming rights thing is because he is still here and is still trying to get as much money back as possible anyway he can. I take it the 20m will be to cover our running costs until the end of the season?