Sol Campbell joins on one-year contract

Ericz
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

I watched him twice for Arsenal last season. He was as composed as ever. Slightly slow, but not that slow. I'd still take him in our position.

Assuming the wages are respectably modest, the move would be so low-risk it's untrue. I'd certainly raise an eyebrow and an immediate captaincy however; i think that would maybe take the mickey out of this alleged players committee, and perhaps ruffle a couple of feathers... but in all honesty, it sounds a little bit far-fetched. I can see Nolan being given the captaincy next year.

Whatever happens, i hope the fucker either signs or retires cos i'm so bored of the linkage now.

From what I gather he's done good since his return to arsenal which is good news despite his age, my problem being where his heart lies. It wasn't in Notts County while it came back during his return to the gunners. There's no garauntee were gonna get that Sol, in fact it's more likely than not we wil get a less interested version, that will lead to a player not worth having.

Here's hoping his new missus tells him he's got to perform and stay focused, he's leaving London for her so it might not be too far fetched

TT's right. This whole move boils entirely down to wages. From an actual, soley footballing perspective i really can't see too many arguments; he's still a competent player, we need to fill the squad, valuable experience. But if he's coming in on big money, it really would negate all the postives to come from such a signing.

That said, given Ashley's obvious blueprint with regards to the age of any imports, if we were to sign Campbell, i really don't think he'd be on anything particularly extravegant. I just don't think MA would allow it.

Its becoming clear that (apart from Perch) we'll be looking for freebies/loans for other positions and save all the money for a striker. So in that case, would we get a better free than Sol Campbell? If his wages are realistic, then probably not.

Guest neesy111

Its becoming clear that (apart from Perch) we'll be looking for freebies/loans for other positions and save all the money for a striker. So in that case, would we get a better free than Sol Campbell? If his wages are realistic, then probably not.

This  :thup:

He was close to coming here when he left Notts, but he got the chance to return to the club he loves..  Him on a free is still a great deal, player/coach type role would be great for us.

Am I the only who doesn't find this a good move, whether on a free or not the guy is past it. It just means money on a guy who injury record isn't the best.

according to the Arsenal fan on here he was very good for them last season. If he is good enough for arsenal, he is good enough for us.

Am I the only who doesn't find this a good move, whether on a free or not the guy is past it. It just means money on a guy who injury record isn't the best.

There's a risk, but CB is a weak area. We lack leadership and composure in defence and he could provide that.

^ yep, i saw a couple of games he played for arsenal last season and thought he did well.

he'd be handy to have around the place with a view to a coaching role if he's wanting to move up this way proper with his wife.

he'll know hughton and calderwood from his time at spurs too which is probably a good thing

Guest Antigalican

Good signing at the right price, very poor signing at the type of money that has been touted on here that he was goind to get at The Mackems.

Guest firetotheworks

If his lass wasn't from up here this story wouldn't exist IMO.

Nah, they'd just use the Hughton/Calderwood Spurs link, the past links with him, the fact he's on a free, and the fact we have no money to spend.

what good is a youth policy if Campbell comes here?

I would rather have kadar etc as backup than sol. when will these kids ever get a chance if we keep bringing in idiots for cover instead of blooding them in?

If the kids arent good enough, then sell them or release them. if they are, then give them a chance.

I would rather have kadar etc as backup than sol. when will these kids ever get a chance if we keep bringing in idiots for cover instead of blooding them in?

If the kids arent good enough, then sell them or release them. if they are, then give them a chance.

can't just rely on kids, a few old heads are always needed to guide the kids and kadar can learn a fair bit from campbell tbh

I sort of agree, but it's not quite as simple as that. Campbell has immense experience and can help us to stay up - which is the main objective. We only have one LB and one RB so I think Kadar will still get a chance.

Don't think Sol can be described as an 'idiot' either really, he's a massively experienced and successful player. I would have him, but only at reasonable wages.