Daft questions (football edition)

Decky

What are your guys thoughts on playing out from the back? Recently it seems that it is the starting point from goal kicks and anytime the defense are surrounded. In the 2020 Champions League final with 95 minutes on the clock and PSG trailing a goal down, the goalie played a short pass to his defender and within 15 seconds the final whistle was blown. I was flabbergasted. This meant the instruction was to play out from the back no matter what the situation. 

Playing out from the back is fine as long as it's an option but when it's the primary option, I do not like it. Today we saw a goal conceded from Gabriel, last week Mendy caught in two minds concedes. These are players who have to unwire their brains from everything they've been taught from childhood to play some sort of philosophical football. You see teams doing it that don't have the resources but they still do it. Are they doing it to "fit in" or do they really believe it will work? 

My opinion is to play to your strengths. If you have a big lump up top who can hold on to the ball like glue, hoof it up to him. If you have players who are technically sound and can hold off challenges while pinging balls across the field, play to that, but don't do what you can't do so you're not labeled archaic. 

I'm seeing more goals conceded from this tactic than ever before and it's doing my head in because it's totally preventable but stubborn managers and fans have pigeoned holed players into thinking there's only one way to play the game. 

I'm pretty sure there's some deep analytics behind it. Kicking it long is basically a 50% chance of losing possession, potentially even higher depending on the players. No one notices it when you score from the possession you kept after playing it short but errors like Gabriel's are obviously really visible.

Re-posting from the other thread and it's a post that's worth it tbh.

I understand that but you have the rest of the team to win the ball back. You play the ball out from the back and and you're putting all the pressure on your defenders to start the attack and at the same time keep shape and prevent a counter attack. It's absurd. And don't get me started on playing cross field passes along your own box. That should never happen. But it's happening now more than ever. 

On 09/08/2022 at 17:48, HaydnNUFC said:

One for the older fans,

Which season did you enjoy the most or prefer looking back, 1992-93 or 1993-94?

I listened to Marc Corby and George Caulkin talk about the former and how similar it is to now but personally from the season reviews and stuff that I've watched a similar ride to the latter is all I ever want to experience really besides winning a trophy.

1992-93 . We'd escaped by the skin of our teeth the previous May.  Kevin had already had to have a bit of a tussle with the board and it kind of gets forgotten in retrospect that he was just utterly ruthless. The man was adamant that if he was going to lead Newcastle United he was doing it his way or not at all. The confidence and positivity he exuded is well documented but it was like a line had been drawn in the sand and he just demanded that this club acted and be treated like one of the great clubs in the land, and it had been soooo long since anyone had done that and for many of us never in our lifetimes. He pulled it all together by force of will and made it look effortless and in doing that pulled us into the Premier League. It was the closest thing to a magical manifestation I've ever seen and a privilege to see the black and white snowball start to roll.

Hardy in his book Touching Distance does as good a job of trying to encapsulate that as any journalist or author can and is a cracking (if somewhat painful) read but I truly believe that experience is unknowable unless you were part of it. That was the key thing that always got missed by the rest of the country and the supporters that never got to feel what the club was like then. YOU were part of it . YOU were it, and Kevin never let that be forgotten. He never made these incredible achievements and moments about him or the players. He made them about us.  He was and is an absolute legend and to be part of that golden era was his wonderful gift to us.    

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The key thing for me is just not being a relentless gobshite, who knows when to let the moments speak for themselves. Matterface is the absolute worst, like. He's got Fletcher's non-stop waffling, Drury's contrived soliloquys at big moments and has absolutely zero charisma. He delivers everything through the eyes of ITV, like it's ITV giving you this 'drama.' He's so tabloid/Sky News/Good Morning Britain it's untrue. 

All the BBC ones are fine to good (Pearce has his moments mind); Matterface is a great advert for Tyldesley and Jon Champion continues to be one of the very best. In terms of Sky, Tyler needs to retire but Rob Hawthorne is good. Really like Weaver (Gary?) as well and dunno why he only gets EFL.

I honestly think we've a dearth of decent commentators these days. Vicky Sparks is beyond dreadful, 'that night night in Munich' Tyldesley needs turning into glue and Guy Mowbray, or whatever he's called, needs sticking in recycling bin with a load of tinsel.

It's chronic how major TV broadcasters haven't in the least tried to bring through and nurture talent

5 hours ago, Rafalove said:

What makes a good commentator?

For me it's having a good vocabulary and a passionate voice but knowing when to shut up and let the pictures speak for themselves.

Jon Champion & Ally McCoist are a great combo that cover all of these bases. Quite like Daniel Mann on Sky too. Matterface, Fletcher and Cliche Clive are the absolute pits though along with the screechy bird ITV have had on lately.

If you come away from footy someone like Wayne Mardle on the darts is a great commentator; knowledgeable, has the insight but always super excited to be there and goes wild when there's some high standard play, but doesn't jabber on constantly and gives periods of quiet.

Compare that with miserable boring wankers like Lawro, Guy Mowbray, Nasser Hussain when he used to do the cricket, the whinging Mark Bright etc and it's like a totally different art.

Don't like Peter Drury and resent all the fanfare he gets as if he's some hidden gem. He's overrated as fuck, trying constantly trying to sound Shakespearean-esque with over the top metaphors, such a bore. Martin Tyler is finished and should retire. Almost all the others I can take or leave, meh on them all.

But I do think Daniel Mann is underrated and never seems to get merely PL games. He did a lot of our games in the Championship under Benitez; "And Perez finds the net!" away at Brighton, "Oh that's venomous!" away at Derby :lol: , proper passionate and shouty when goals go in but never over the top, never tries to fill silence in with waffle like that cunt Matterface. He's absolutely repulsive. Hope he gets severe cholera.

8 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Man I thought Daniel Mann was Gary Weaver. That's who I meant earlier anyway.

He's really underrated imo, never gets more than Championship games on Sky seemingly. The win at Brighton under Benitez was memorable and the Leeds Derby play off semi, commentary matched the importance and quality of the game imo. Linked the highlights of both below.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

6 hours ago, Rafalove said:

What makes a good commentator?

My favourite remains Barry Davies.  Someone who can exclaim at true moments of wonder, but the rest of the time remains calm and composed and understands that the audience doesn’t need to be told something is exciting - we can make our own minds up on that one.  And as others have said, not feel the need to punctuate any silence with constant fucking wittering. 

I also loved the fact he sounded like a Victorian schoolmaster and would get genuinely miffed about things.  My favourite remains him exclaiming that ‘Italy have lost BECAUSE THEY WILL NOT LEARN’ following South Korea’s late winner in 2002 - because it was both true and hilarious.

Edit: an example of him losing his shit for good reason is Supermac’s half-volley peach vs West Brom

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tyckt3H6I6Y&t=101s

Edited by TheBrownBottle