Sammy Ameobi released

James

I'd start him v Derby. He commits players and it causes problems. I've never been a fan of his but on today's performance - especially at home - he's more threatening than we're currently putting out.

Looked a bit nervous to me, seems a bit short on confidence. Only tried relatively simple things and rarely looked to take on his man. Whether it's Rafa asking him to do so and play in a more structured way or just he's feeling his way back I'm not sure.

Would imagine he'll drop down the pecking order when Atsu comes back either way.

Did well when he came on, and deserves to start. Gouffran offers very little from the wing, and if anything is a liability.

tbh the sub helped a lot overall...ameobi was decent on the right and used his size pretty well without doing much, but more importantly to me it took gouffran away from the left and gave their FB something to think about with ritchie, plus gouffran played the gayle role better than murphy can and was fairly involved after moving forward

i'd be tempted to start gouffran up top next game personally

He never put a foot wrong to be fair when he came on last night. Actually looked as if he could go up a gear if needed but was very cautious and probably aware of the nutters ready to berate any slight mistake through overambitious play.

• 1 month later...