Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

what i haven't understood about pardew recently is that kinnear was obviously a massive, public slap in the face for him and he clearly has the power in the contract stakes or ashley would have canned him by now you'd think

therefore why is he still being the mouthpiece? 

My article on Cabaye, for anyone interested:

http://www.isportstimes.com/articles/8345/20130815/newcastle-united-newcastle-transfers-alan-pardew-yohan-cabaye-laurent-blanc-paris-st-germain.htm

"Of course I want to keep him. If one of the big clubs comes in with a massive offer we will have to react to that," Alan Pardew said to the Evening Chronicle. It wasn't the bold denial the fans could cite to aid their sleep at night, but it was honest.

The talented Frenchman has been linked with a host of clubs this transfer window, including Manchester United, Spurs, Monaco, and - most notably - Paris St Germain. Paris boss Laurent Blanc has made no secret of his admiration for Cabaye and, according to the Chronicle, the former France manager hopes that "he will be at a big club come September."

Blanc's comments are sure to rile Newcastle supporters as they have done Pardew. However, in spite of professing a desire to keep his vice-captain at St James' Park, one has to question the necessity for comments that serve only to highlight his availability in the transfer market. Is Pardew ready to accept a large offer for Cabaye and, if so, how damaging an effect would it have on the team?

Even if Pardew is prepared to let Cabaye leave, the Geordies' adulation of the midfield maestro is unwavering. Not least because he recently joined a plethora of Newcastle legends who have "put the ball in the Mackems' net", having scored the opening goal in their 1-1 draw with Sunderland last season.

That is one of twelve goals that Cabaye has notched for The Magpies since his arrival from Lille in 2011 and that, combined with his control in possession and off-the-ball tenacity, has seen him cement a regular place in the first eleven.

In spite of an extremely promising first year in England, Cabaye's positive influence on the team has gradually tailed off - though some Newcastle fans argue that it is through no fault of his own.

Hampered by a groin injury and battling a bout of depression, the midfielder's second season soon faltered and his manager did little to help. In compliance with a typically negative strategy, Pardew chose to utilise Cabaye's more aggressive attributes by playing him deep in the midfield, hassling opponents and forcing several fouls every game.

Pardew's misuse of Cabaye is not the only tactic to have come under scrutiny following a disappointing 16th-placed finish last season. Striker Papiss Cissé appeared on the wing in too many matches, Moussa Sissoko was played in an unsuited forward role, and Jonás Gutiérrez remained a permanent fixture in the team despite a lack of goals and assists.

The negative approach that Pardew adopted last season has stifled Cabaye's attacking prowess; he is dangerous in front of goal and has a wicked eye for a pass, but Newcastle fans seldom saw these assets last season.  It begs the question: would Newcastle be better off without?

If the 2012/13 season is anything to go by, it is unclear if Pardew knows how best to utilise Cabaye for the maximum benefit of the team. As unpopular as the decision may be, the club might see the benefit of allowing Cabaye to leave for a large sum, in favour of a replacement who is more suited to the role being asked to play. Perhaps Pardew's comments are an invitation for teams to place an offer?

There is no questioning the talent that Cabaye has, but if he is being denied the means with which to express his best ability - it may be better for all concerned if Blanc submitted that "massive offer" and ended the speculation.

Tomorrow in The Mirror.

Pardew: "Why I'd be upset if I lost Cabaye for something around 20m.."

"....split into 4 installments, with a £2m signing-on fee and of course a small bonus for me. Yeah, that'd be awful".

Guest bimpy474

Get French Football ‏@GFN_France 2m

Laurent Blanc has reiterated tonight that PSG will not sign anyone else this transfer window. #PSG #NUFC #Cabaye

Like Colo, I just hope we get to see him under a good manager with a well constructed team while he's still here. I've no doubt both of them will not be renewing their contracts but I'd love to see them in a team that gets the most out of their abilities in the next year or two.

Paris St-Germain boss Laurent Blanc has revealed his "love" for Yohan Cabaye but refused to say whether he will table a bid for the Newcastle midfielder.

The French champions have long been linked with a move for the Frenchman, who is now in his third season at St James' Park.

Blanc, who has already brought in Edinson Cavani and Marquinhos in big-money deals this summer, says he is not yet finished in the transfer market and has hinted he will move for 27-year-old Cabaye.

Speaking after his side's 1-1 draw with Ajaccio at the weekend, he told TuttoMercatoWeb: "We still want to sign other players. Interest in Cabaye? These are things you write in the press. I can only say that I love this player."

Paris St-Germain boss Laurent Blanc has revealed his "love" for Yohan Cabaye but refused to say whether he will table a bid for the Newcastle midfielder.

The French champions have long been linked with a move for the Frenchman, who is now in his third season at St James' Park.

Blanc, who has already brought in Edinson Cavani and Marquinhos in big-money deals this summer, says he is not yet finished in the transfer market and has hinted he will move for 27-year-old Cabaye.

Speaking after his side's 1-1 draw with Ajaccio at the weekend, he told TuttoMercatoWeb: "We still want to sign other players. Interest in Cabaye? These are things you write in the press. I can only say that I love this player."

Bit gay.

Like Colo, I just hope we get to see him under a good manager with a well constructed team while he's still here. I've no doubt both of them will not be renewing their contracts but I'd love to see them in a team that gets the most out of their abilities in the next year or two.

This - Pardew has negated the skills of most of our players.

Sure Pardew just gets the blame when every player hits poor form but when in good form the player gets all the praise, you've got to swing it both ways. Can't just decide when to hate Pardew then choose to ignore when he's done something well. He has a good relationship with the players, yes he does have a tendency to play them out of position but generally they have mainly been in there preferred position, Cabaye is no different, Cabaye gets away with murder on here for my liking. Beautiful player when he wants to be, but last season whether it was injuries, fitness or morale, he can only look to himself when his performances weren’t up to standard. He’s not the only one though.

If PSG intend to bid for him, I just wish they would get a move on.  I cannot see any reason for them to wait - it is not as if they would gain an advantage by destabilising a rival at the last minute giving them no time to get a replacement.  And an extra week's wages is not a problem for them.

How on earth will JFK manage to find a replacement in less than 2 weeks when he has struggled for the last 2 months with signing other players.

Graeme Bailey ‏@GraemeBailey 7m

Arsenal also in for a current top Premier League midfielder....

Graeme Bailey ‏@GraemeBailey 56s

The PL midfielder Arsenal are in for is Yohan Cabaye. Undisclosed bid...