Stoke City 1 - 3 Newcastle United - 31/10/11 - post-match reaction from page 52

Dave

One thing I noticed tonight btw, when they lumped it to Crouch, we seemed to be more than happy put one man on putting him under pressure but not actually challenge for the ball (unless it was in our penalty area) so we could win the second ball instead. Very clever move from Pardew, as neither Taylor or Colo would have done well in the air against him.

Krul did Ok.

Worse keepers would've been much more timid.  He went out of his way to help the defence and we benefitted massively.  Harper (and a lot of other keepers) would've been rooted to their line for lots of their ball in the box.

Exactly, commanded the box, and made sure didn't get in too much trouble. He had weird brief moments of bad kicks and nearly falling over, but he showed a different talent to shot stopping here, and he got it spot on.

That's going too far. He isn't the finished article yet and that was exposed under extremely difficult circumstances tonight.

Considering his lack of experience, he did very well. A marked improvement on the last time he faced Stoke.

It amused me to see our players using the towel to dry the ball for throws. It really amused me when Pulis was moaning about it when we kept doing it all the way through including added time. Ever heard of irony Tony?

Where's that towel? We want to dry the ball. Problem Stoke?

:troll:

One thing I noticed tonight btw, when they lumped it to Crouch, we seemed to be more than happy put one man on putting him under pressure but not actually challenge for the ball (unless it was in our penalty area) so we could win the second ball instead. Very clever move from Pardew, as neither Taylor or Colo would have done well in the air against him.

It's how to play against Crouch - winning the second ball is the key, which is what we did.

Krul 7 - Dealt with the aerial threat for the majority of the game, great performance.

Simpson 7 - Excellent, excellent game. Much improved, loved him drying the ball constantly.

S.Taylor 8 - Facemask isn't as good as Shola's but another solid display.

Coloccini 8 - Never gave them a sniff, utterly superb.

R.Taylor 7 - Tough determined performance.

Obertan 7 - Caused them all sorts of problems, great ball in for the 1st goal.

Guthrie 7 - Stood up to challenge of filling in for Tiote with an assured display.

Cabaye 7 - Some fantastic passes and some very poor ones, delivery from corners was good. A mixed bag.

Jonas 9 - Fantastic throughout, tracked back, tireless in defence and kept possession excellently as usual.

Best 7 - Excellent movement, nice if unintentional assist for the 2nd goal.

Ba 9 - Clinical, that is all you can say, silenced the Stoke boo boys in the best way possible. Confident well taken penalty too.

Perch 6 - Booked after 14 secs of coming on :lol: Wasn't a booking tbf, was decent apart from that.

Gosling N/A

Sammy N/A

Just got in from Pub.

Over the fucking moon.

Defence was brilliant with special mention for Ryan and even Simpson looked better than normal.

Cabaye just seemed to have an off game but Obertan looked very dangerous first half. Ba impressed with his goals and first line defence and Best held the ball up very well.

Guthrie great performance all considered.

Jonas fucking Jonas.

Equal man of the match and the two people I was sitting with were frothing over him. Unfortunately I thought he was shit. Yes did a few things okay in defence, but did fuck all in attack. At some point you have to decide if your winger is an attacker or not.

Regardless, delighted with the result and hope we can stuff Everton and cement third place.

Im sure we all had a great night.  :love:

That's going too far. He isn't the finished article yet and that was exposed under extremely difficult circumstances tonight.

Considering his lack of experience, he did very well. A marked improvement on the last time he faced Stoke.

I largely agree, had moments of heart in mouth, but also did his job in the end, did needlessly concede one corner, but with all the long throws etc, did a lot better than a lot of other keepers in the league with all the long balls into box.

A keeper that comes out and catches does so much for a defence. Given/Harper's cost teams games because they always stay on their line. Had Given been in goal we would've conceded more. His kicking was bad but his overall performance was good.

Colo was amazing.

Taylor superb.

Guti would make Perch look class at LB.

Raylor's a warrior.

Ba. Fucking immense.

Jonas fucking Jonas.

Equal man of the match and the two people I was sitting with were frothing over him. Unfortunately I thought he was shit. Yes did a few things okay in defence, but did fuck all in attack. At some point you have to decide if your winger is an attacker or not.

You are absolutely clueless.

Absolutely fucking over the moon is all I can say, I was expecting to get beat tonight, hoping for a draw, walked in the pub seen we were 0-1 up started jumping round like mad. I still can't believe we're 3rd in the table at the end of October....with Alan Pardew in charge, its amazing. Fair play to Pardew he's put up with alot of stick since he joined and he's done absolute brilliantly. Lets carry this on and give me a nice birthday present by beating Everton!

Equal man of the match and the two people I was sitting with were frothing over him. Unfortunately I thought he was s***. Yes did a few things okay in defence, but did f*** all in attack. At some point you have to decide if your winger is an attacker or not.

He wasn't an attacker today, he was stopping crossing coming in and that's what he did. Obertan was there to speed out of defence, and Best and Ba were the attacking thrust, and their movement made up for Jonas' defensive shift. Can't see this at all to be honest, thought he was magnificent

Just got in from Pub.

Over the fucking moon.

Defence was brilliant with special mention for Ryan and even Simpson looked better than normal.

Cabaye just seemed to have an off game but Obertan looked very dangerous first half. Ba impressed with his goals and first line defence and Best held the ball up very well.

Guthrie great performance all considered.

Jonas fucking Jonas.

Regardless, delighted with the result and hope we can stuff Everton and cement third place.

Im sure we all had a great night.  :love:

Even on a great night like tonight you have to be a wum about Jonas?  Grow up, man.

Tremendous victory, hugely satisfying. Before tonight, i'd have considered Stoke to be someone we'd be next to in the table come May. In reality, we've we've made them look tiers below us; on their own ground too, which is a place where a lot of teams have lost. Don't know if it was simply an off-day for them, but it's stunning how far and away we were the better team.

We proved their throw-in antics to be an utter joke of a strategy. The whole league considers it a non-footballing joke, but it's something that everyone has proven vulnerable to. Tonight it just showed that it's their one-trick to a pony that i think could be dying; their team is littered with rubbish players and Europe is killing them from a fatigue perspective. For us to nick a goal from the touchline was beyond nice.

You could talk all day about how laughably poor Stoke were tonight. Even if this wasn't Newcastle, and they'd been ripped to shreds by another side, i'd be buzzing. Disgraceful outfit who are a joy to watch lose.

But enough about how shite they were; it was a terrific team performance from our lads. We won the three points, there's absolutely no doubt about it. Best held up the ball extremely well, and Ba was seriously effective in the box, obviously. Obertan did a lot of running and was effective; Cabaye and Guthrie worked tirelessly and retained possession well when we had it. Jonas though, fuck me, what a bloody sensational performance. I don't think you'll see a better performance from a winger this year, at least from a defensive perspective. He was a colossus. Pennant didn't get a sniff.

At the back, we were typically rigid and dealt well with the aerial threat.

Awesome stuff. What a team we've got here.

Jonas f***ing Jonas.

Equal man of the match and the two people I was sitting with were frothing over him. Unfortunately I thought he was s***. Yes did a few things okay in defence, but did f*** all in attack. At some point you have to decide if your winger is an attacker or not.

Jonas fucking Jonas.

Genuinely the stupidest fucking post I've ever seen on here. A fucking BANNING offence.

Jonas fucking Jonas.

Here's the door...

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?/forum/2-newcastle-forum/

...please use it.

Jonas fucking Jonas.

Genuinely the stupidest fucking post I've ever seen on here. A fucking BANNING offence.

I completely agree. If there was a ever a hope that CT knew what he was talking about, it's fucking gone now.

Krul - 8  -  Commanded the box excellently.

Raylor - 7 - No real complaints, was very well protected by Jonas

Saylor - 8 - got his head to everything.

Colo - 9 - Didn't let Stoke bully him for one moment.

Simpson - 7 - Solid, which was refreshing, hardly noticed Ethrington was playing.

Cabaye - 6 - Wasn't as good as in previous weeks.

Guthrie - 9 - Had big reservations over him, but he really was brilliant.

Jonas - 8 -  Pretty much played left back, but helped Raylor superbly, aswell as venturing forward occasionally.

Obertan - 8 - Best game by far, i thought he was our biggest threat, and always available as an outlet.

Ba - 9 - Superb all round performance, held it well, and took his goals just as neatly.

Best - 8 - Worked hard, chased everthing down.

Jonas f***ing Jonas.

That reminds me, when's the 'Ignore user' function going to be up?