Man City vs Newcastle United - 19/11/11 - 3pm

MW

I have a feeling of impending doom and am worried now that we are going to freeze and get hammered.

We might get beat, and maybe quite badly, but it won't be because we're scared or we don't work hard.

Never said we were scared or wouldn't work hard.

I have a feeling of impending doom and am worried now that we are going to freeze and get hammered.

We might get beat, and maybe quite badly, but it won't be because we're scared or we don't work hard.

Never said we were scared or wouldn't work hard.

Fair enough, I just read that into "freeze".

Where's this idea of Santon starting on the right of midfield come from?

Lack of options? No matter who we put there, it's going to be a case of square peg/round hole since we have no natural right wingers fit. Pardew will look for maximum defensive-protection, so it will be between Santon, Guthrie and Gosling I think - can't see Ben Arfa getting a look in as he doesn't have the work-rate to play that role. Out of the three, Santon would be the most sensible option since he's a natural wide player.

Fair enough, just wondered if it was something Pardew had hinted at. I'll be very surprised if it is Santon tbh.

Also Santon started his career at right wing and is apparently competent and has played in all wide positions.

Santon would make a better right midfielder than left back in a game like this and would be my only change if Obertan and Tiote are still injured... He will solidify the right flank making sure Simpson is not over exposed and hopefully still pose a threat to Cliche by hugging the touchline more... When Gosling and Gutherie have played in that position in the past they look like fish out of water and drift inside... Also I'm sticking to my believe that if Santon is to ever play as full back for us over a concerted period of time it must be on the right... Ironically there is some YT footage of Santon playing against Man City only a month or so before signing for us and he played left back... But the footage simply highlights the problem of playing him on the left with regards to our defensive shape as he is so right footed he was shown up blind alleys or had to cut inside... So you are therefore just limiting him to just defending which seems a waste... He's looked at his best when playing on right late on against both Spurs and Blackburn but struggled when played on the left which is where he started against Blackburn...

The majority of fans do not expect a result from this, although I am sure the players do.

In my mind, we do not need to fear them and go and enjoy it - the pressure is off us.  With the players we have out it is a chance to shine and there is no better place to do it right now.

Actually think we might get a draw.  Bring it on.

Follow Englands example against Spain. Who cares how dull the game is, if we could steal 3 points like England did that would be champion.

I was listening to pardew on the radio and he was saying that due to the international break hes had chance to study all man citys games in detail and he'd noticed that the teams who do well against them are the teams that have a go at them , Man utd apart but he said that was down to the sending off.  So I expect him to go for it, they are used to teams sitting deep with their passing ability they can exploit tight spaces anyway, you need to get the ball in their half, you'd rather Kompany be on the ball more than david silva, so I think well play a high line attempting to push them into their own half.

Follow Englands example against Spain. Who cares how dull the game is, if we could steal 3 points like England did that would be champion.

I was listening to pardew on the radio and he was saying that due to the international break hes had chance to study all man citys games in detail and he'd noticed that the teams who do well against them are the teams that have a go at them , Man utd apart but he said that was down to the sending off.  So I expect him to go for it, they are used to teams sitting deep with their passing ability they can exploit tight spaces anyway, you need to get the ball in their half, you'd rather Kompany be on the ball more than david silva, so I think well play a high line attempting to push them into their own half.

Didn't we play with an exceptionally high line in both games against them last season as well?

If we somehow manage to get a win Pardew will be classed as nothing less than a genius!!

Citeh have only scored nine first half goals, one more than us. In the second half, they have thirty. They were drawing at HT in half their ten wins. What this means is that I think we should start positively and only then change if there's a problem, like one flank is exposed or whatever. Citeh seem to start fairly cagey and then prosper as their opponents tire and Silva gets between the lines.

I'd play Ben Arfa, Ba, and Best. Killer Bs are gonna swarm!

Krul

Simpson        Taylor                Colocinni        Raylor

Gosling

Cabaye            Guthrie

Ben Arfa                                                          Jonas

Ba

If Best is still doubtful the day before the game I wouldn't start him.

2-0 Citeh.

You can currently get 10/1 on us to win. Best defensive record in the league, one point behind second place in the table and the only other unbeaten side and we're the longest odds of any team this weekend. I know they're good and I do expect them to beat us, but that's pretty mental really.

You can currently get 10/1 on us to win. Best defensive record in the league, one point behind second place in the table and the only other unbeaten side and we're the longest odds of any team this weekend. I know they're good and I do expect them to beat us, but that's pretty mental really.

And that's why every Newcastle supporter should throw a little bit of money on us. It'll be difficult but, it's not as unlikely as the odds would suggest.

Anti-Magookies!

So Swansea are more likely to beat Man U, and Norwich better odds to beat Arsenal?

Mental.

Might hoy a couple of quid on for shits and giggles.  Not expecting a single thing in return mind, but there's always a slim chance.

Krul

Simpson        Taylor                Colocinni        Raylor

Gosling

Cabaye            Guthrie

Ben Arfa                                                          Jonas

Ba

If Best is still doubtful the day before the game I wouldn't start him.

2-0 Citeh.

I'd be chuffed with that line-up, think we can get a draw here.