Hatem Ben Arfa

Rich

Bramble was s***, but for me he is still behind Boumsong, Ramage, Cacapa and maybe Huntington. Probably on par with Williamson.

Cacapa  :lol:

Man, who was that dude. So frail and weak.

That debut (?) where he got manhandled by some tonk Portsmouth striker at home.

Hideous.

IIRC he was immense in his first few games and then the Portsmouth game come along and he was essentially a train wreck from then on. Benjani wasn't it?

That's how I remember it too.

Yeah same. He looked a classy CB first few matches before Benjani destroyed him.

He looked fucking awesome till the Reading game right before Pompey, actually. Pompey was just a fucking bloodbath. Remember he Scored against Spurs in a 3-1 win at SJP and was the best player on the pitch. Classy defender, good in the air and a good reader of the game but a perfect example of what happens in this league if you're too physically inferior.

He looked f***ing awesome till the Reading game right before Pompey, actually. Pompey was just a f***ing bloodbath. Remember he Scored against Spurs in a 3-1 win at SJP and was the best player on the pitch. Classy defender, good in the air and a good reader of the game but a perfect example of what happens in this league if you're too physically inferior.

And the strange part was a man of his experience and age he just seemed mentally shattered and never recovered from that.

Guest reefatoon

Are we actually polluting this thread with talk of Cacapa and Bramble?

Jesus.

Cacapa and Bramble yeah, but not seen much Jesus talk.

He looked f***ing awesome till the Reading game right before Pompey, actually. Pompey was just a f***ing bloodbath. Remember he Scored against Spurs in a 3-1 win at SJP and was the best player on the pitch. Classy defender, good in the air and a good reader of the game but a perfect example of what happens in this league if you're too physically inferior.

And the strange part was a man of his experience and age he just seemed mentally shattered and never recovered from that.

Indeed bro. It's so unique, the PL and some players just don't really cope even having won everything elsewhere.

He did have a brief resurgence under Keegan later in the season. Few good performances.

Guest firetotheworks

Cacapa had one bad game and that was it, nor was it his debut. He came here too late on and was too slow and too weak, but read everything well and was off to a very good start up until that match.

I'll fondly remember him purely for looking like Maurice White from Earth, Wind & Fire. :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Cacapa had one bad game and that was it

Reading away, Portsmouth at home, Fulham away the following season. Offhand.

Aye, of which Reading was the first...

After that I don't remember him playing well at all.

Guest firetotheworks

If he only had one bad game it was definitely Portsmouth, like. :lol He was absolutely tortured for half an hour or so. You could hear the poor bloke's hamstrings crying from the stands. Even at the time, despite him being to our detriment, I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. He looked really gutted and I think him reminding me of Maurice just added to my empathy for the bloke.

Guest reefatoon

Didn't Fat Sam sub him just before half time too?  Way to completely break the bloke in two.  Should have just waited until half time to do it, though Hippo heed was getting shit loads of abuse, so he needed to pass that flack on somewhere.

Newcastle was an impossible place to be a CB for quite a lot of our recent history TBH. Crowd just waiting for a mistake, no protection from midfield, hung out to dry by the manager, signed at the wrong time. Every CB we've had has had to go through at least a couple of those.

Guest firetotheworks

Coloccini could quite easily have gone after one season and we'd be having a similar conversation about him. It just goes to show that it's worth being patient when players don't make an immediate impact.

Guest icemanblue

Coloccini could quite easily have gone after one season and we'd be having a similar conversation about him. It just goes to show that it's worth being patient when players don't make an immediate impact.

Agreed, both him and Enrique were toilet when they first played

They really, really, really, were not 'toilet'. They struggled to adapt, but their class was obvious from the start, Colo especially.