Newcastle United 2 - 1 Stoke City - 10/03/13 - post-match reaction from page 31

Beren

I actually thought we played fairly well, apart from a scarily bad final ball. Our all round passing and possession play was pretty good, as was our defending.

Certainly wasn't an awful performance. Just lacked a bit of final quality.

Subs made an impact, and the right players were brought off in my opinion. Only criticism from me is maybe they should have been made 10 mins earlier.

Good performances: Yanga-Mbiwa, Debuchy, Gouffran (first half)

Not so good: Tiote (seriously, what the hell was he thinking), Santon (second half)

:thup:

They came with a plan and executed it well, but we played into their hands a little bit. It's matches like that where Gutierrez just isn't necessary, Marveaux came on and provided something that wins football matches, attacking ability. He should be starting games while Hatem's out, not away from home but definitely on our own patch, I thought it was harsh on Gouffran to go off.

Pardew did well with who he brought on though, it was great to see him try and get a result without the usual Shola move. A great win, these kinds of ground out games simply happen. Chuffed for Cisse too, that's what happens when you give him service on the edge of the box.

I still think that most of our best players from last season aren't performing at anything like an acceptable level and our recent upturn has been almost entirely down to the new players. The biggest thing they've added to the team is a bit of pace and therefore the ability to counter-attack, I might be misremembering it, but off the top of my head it seems that most of our goals recently have been when we've hit teams on the break. So when we come up against a team like Stoke who only defend and offer nothing going forward that's nullified and we're back to the impotent and clueless attacking play of the first-half of the season.

I find it helps if you think about how smug Pulis would have been about his non-football working after the pen, compared to how he felt after Cisse grabbed the winner.

I don't think the performance was awful, just the creativity in attack. Games against Stoke are rarely going to be pretty, if we hadn't conceded a pen I think we would have unlocked them eventually for a 1-0.

I actually thought we played fairly well, apart from a scarily bad final ball. Our all round passing and possession play was pretty good, as was our defending.

Certainly wasn't an awful performance. Just lacked a bit of final quality.

Subs made an impact, and the right players were brought off in my opinion. Only criticism from me is maybe they should have been made 10 mins earlier.

Good performances: Yanga-Mbiwa, Debuchy, Gouffran (first half)

Not so good: Tiote (seriously, what the hell was he thinking), Santon (second half)

Agree with that pretty much. :thup:

Would also put Cisse in the not so good bracket mind (outside of the dead ball bullshit, he was the one thing on or off the pitch that was doing my head in on a regular basis).

Was a cracking moment when we finally broke Stoke and he scored though obviously. :lol:

He did put in a couple of good corners today, just that no one was attacking them. Our failures to score from corners is far from just Yohans fault.

It's not just corners, we put a lot of good balls into the box and failed to get on the end of any of them.  It's as if that's all we practice because we didn't seem to understand that we might have a better chance if the ball was on the ground.

I find it helps if you think about how smug Pulis would have been about his non-football working after the pen, compared to how he felt after Cisse grabbed the winner.

I don't think the performance was awful, just the creativity in attack. Games against Stoke are rarely going to be pretty, if we hadn't conceded a pen I think we would have unlocked them eventually for a 1-0.

That's a good point Ian and I had a similar thought leaving the ground :lol: We weren't at our best today but Stoke are past masters at making life difficult for teams by any means necessary, literally. It'll keep them in the league but magine coaching that ffs

That's a good point Ian and I had a similar thought leaving the ground :lol: We weren't at our best today but Stoke are past masters at making life difficult for teams by any means necessary, literally. It'll keep them in the league but magine coaching that ffs

Imagine watching it, week in, week out !!! yet some reckon we are negative  :lol:

I take great pleasure in beating Stoke. Truly detestable club. Not ashamed to say I had a tear in my eye come the final whistle as I gave the lads a one-man standing ovation from my laptop.

:lol:

We didn't play fairly well. :lol: It was uninspiring rubbish for the most part. The well known "optimists" on this forum are alarmingly easily pleased.

We weren't shite either tbh, thought it was a very average performance. We controlled the game, and deserved the win.

I'm really relieved and happy at the result, but the nondescript non-football performances are becoming a big concern now.  Bit sick of devoting 2 hours of my day to watching it, and it's even worse when you actually go.

I'd change managers in the summer, but that's coming from a fan who wants to see decent games now and again.

My feelings exactly. I'm fucking sick of watching us try to attack teams and have pretty much nothing to offer other than individual player traits.

We do nothing as a team going forward. It just goes wide and then if we can swing it in, we do. Against Stoke man. Honestly? That's the best we can do? Why aren't we working it into better positions from out wide and making them worry about movement and passing? Something that we've got the players to do. The only other bit of impetus we had today was Sissoko running from deep, that's just what he does and he'd do it for any team in any game against any opposition.

We just did enough to win today,just. Yes the substitute made the winner but fucking hell man he should have been on the pitch for much longer. What is this thing with Jonas playing 90 minutes? And Tiote getting a game over Anita in the league every week regardless of opposition. Pardew is far, far too concerned with stopping the opposition and I'm pig sick of watching it.

We didn't play fairly well. :lol: It was uninspiring rubbish for the most part. The well known "optimists" on this forum are alarmingly easily pleased.

We weren't shite either tbh, thought it was a very average performance. We controlled the game, and deserved the win.

I don't think even the 'forum optimists' are claiming anything more than that TBH.

aye it wa shit, bI think people are beinga little hatsh, 7 changes, half the team have been away to russia along with the coaching staff, freezing cold, horrible opponents, three points is fking awsome tbh.