Sir Alex Ferguson

Smal
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It also made me think that, no matter how much good work they do, or how much they try to give off the vibe that they "get it", Americans will never, ever truly understand English football.

If you'd relayed that story to any English football supporter, they'd wince, but an American who actually owns a club, and has shown himself to be one of the better US owners, just had no idea what he was saying.

There will always be an elusive 5% that they just do not, and can not, get.

Broadly speaking, that's probably true and not really controversial. It would be true the other way around, too. (Yes, I realize you don't give a flying shit about our "sports.")

Agreed. Not really that big of a deal. I still enjoy English football.

Next year is incredibly important. He'll be shown a lot of patience, but if next season is a bad season for us, he'll be crucified by the idiot fans and the media. The pressure will get to him and swallow him up if this is the case IMO. On the other hand, if he manages to win the league next season or at least put in a competitive season on all fronts, all the doubts will disappear and he'll be able to properly begin his own long and hopefully fruitful Manchester United career.

I'm looking forward to a new era.

Next year is incredibly important. He'll be shown a lot of patience, but if next season is a bad season for us, he'll be crucified by the idiot fans and the media. The pressure will get to him and swallow him up if this is the case IMO. On the other hand, if he manages to win the league next season or at least put in a competitive season on all fronts, all the doubts will disappear and he'll be able to properly begin his own long and hopefully fruitful Manchester United career.

I'm looking forward to a new era.

:lol: We're looking forward to you knowing our feel.

Has a manager ever switched teams in the league with an understanding that he wouldn't be allowed to purchase players from his former team?

Yeah, Brendan Rodgers to your club, and then he signed Joe Allen.

Has a manager ever switched teams in the league with an understanding that he wouldn't be allowed to purchase players from his former team?

Yeah, Brendan Rodgers to your club, and then he signed Joe Allen.

:lol: I certainly hope you continue to enjoy football.

strange to me they've not gone for someone with any kind of track record whatsoever in europe...perhaps a tacit acknowledgement from the owners that simply qualifying each season for the CL and progressing beyond the groups is their minimum requirement, anything else he might achieve being a bonus

fair play to them like, it'd have been piss easy to go for mourinho and have a successful 3 years before he fucked off somewhere else

hope he fails miserably but is given far too much time & money to turn it around before failing

also interesting from the everton perspective, there's been the generally accepted viewpoint that he's totally held them together as a club for the last decade, see they go now

I'm surprised they didn't move early enough for Mou, who is possibly the only one with the experience and the bollocks to do the job real justice.

Managers like Ancelotti, Capello could easily a job there too tbf. I just think their football styles aren't attractive enough. I think they wanted a british manager no matter what and Moyes was therefore the only choice.

The fact that SAF is going to be around in a very hands-on roll almost guarantees his replacement's success to be honest.  Anything else is wishful thinking, especially in the short term.  It'll still be his voice heard loudest over the next 2-3 seasons.

I see a few people on RedCafe are talking about chucking in supporting United and one even asking what team he should start supporting instead :lol: Bellends.

90% of their fans don't really give a fuck about them anyway. :lol:

Seems a potentially very good appointment to me, especially if Fergie is going to maintain a semi-active role and mentor him.

Last thing they want is to become just another club with media circuses around someone like Mourinho. This way they can have some sort of continuity and allow a promising British manager to take the job on. There are a load of young players coming through, and they should be able to do some good work in the market.

He seems a down-to-earth guy who will at least have a chance of managing a smooth transition.

Obviously a very tough job and massive boots to fill, but good luck to him IMO.

Totally agree. I have hated manu because of the 'fans' more than anything over the years but the way the club have gone about this is sickeningly good and seems like the right way to me. It's refreshing. :thup:

Guest neesy111

Atkinson still won trophies though, Ferguson would had been gone if they didn't win the FA Cup in 1990.

What the fuck have the Glazers got to do with Ron Atkinson? :lol:

Comparing the current Man United to the one that existed pre Ferguson is like comparing Virgin to Richard Branson's first record shop in the Sixties.

If you think they'll sack him after finishing 3rd, you don't know anything about Manchester United. They gave Ron Atkinson 5 years.

Man Utd.'s competitive advantage lie in the success of synergy and a long-term approach.

You clearly don't. The Edwards dynasty finished years ago. We dont know how the Glazers will react to potential adversity because they've never faced it at Old Trafford.

I can't see this working well, so bring it on.

Just last week, they were saying Moyes has a terrible record in the Merseyside derby, and he's going to have many bigger games than that to come. Against better sides than Liverpool over the past ten years too.