mackems vs Newcastle United - Sunday 27th October @ 1.30pm (live on Sky)

Skirge
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mackem at work was saying to me that the pressure is off them for sunday and all the pressure is all on us. I was a bit confused/surprised with that because a) it is their first home game under a new manager and b) they still have chance of survival, but if they dont win on Sunday that will almost certainly knock all of the remaining confidence the players may have. I would say the pressure is more on them for definate imo, and the crowd will be nervous and edgy from the off.

[/q

Mackem at work was saying to me that the pressure is off them for sunday and all the pressure is all on us. I was a bit confused/surprised with that because a) it is their first home game under a new manager and b) they still have chance of survival, but if they dont win on Sunday that will almost certainly knock all of the remaining confidence the players may have. I would say the pressure is more on them for definate imo, and the crowd will be nervous and edgy from the off.

The team with one point and who are fighting to stay in the league say the pressure is on their mid table rivals?  :lol:

They always were a deluded bunch

Taylor was doing very well for us before his daft sending off and subsequent injury. I don't have faith in him to stay fit for any length of time but he is dependable enough when called upon. No doubt in mind I'd much rather him in the team with Williamson than Dummett.

:thup:

Absolutely crazy that this even needed to be said, btw. A 5'10" untried full back partnering Mike Williamson at CB for the most important away fixture of the season ffs.

Has more than one person said they prefer Dummett to Taylor btw? because i haven't seen it and if they have they are off their f*cking rocker.

I give Taylor a lot of criticism, mainly because i don't like defenders who run around like a bull in a china shop leaving gaping holes to exploit like he does but clearly he's a competent PL defender when fit.

Got offered a free ticket for the game at work today, no strings just 'giz a shout if you want one' type of thing. By all accounts they couldn't even give them away to the kids and there was a load spare after. Christ knows how many they sent across.

Got offered a free ticket for the game at work today, no strings just 'giz a shout if you want one' type of thing. By all accounts they couldn't even give them away to the kids and there was a load spare after. Christ knows how many they sent across.

You going then? Wouldn't fancy it in the home end.

You going then?

Nope.

Couldn't/wouldn't be able to sit there on my hands in amongst them. Seeing us score would be fine, I could just sit tight I reckon. Having to jump up and pretend if/when they scored would be my undoing, just couldn't do it.

It's just not a natural way to watch a game of football. Sounds like there will be quite a few tickets getting passed around though and some will undoubtedly fall into the hands of Newcastle fans in home area. Rather them than me tbh. 

You going then?

Nope.

Couldn't/wouldn't be able to sit there on my hands in amongst them. Seeing us score would be fine, I could just sit tight I reckon. Having to jump up and pretend if/when they scored would be my undoing, just couldn't do it.

It's just not a natural way to watch a game of football. Sounds like there will be quite a few tickets getting passed around though and some will undoubtedly fall into the hands of Newcastle fans in home area. Rather them than me tbh.

I've been amongst them twice. Gillingham years ago whe they were relegated to division 3 and the 'no away' fans game which we won 2-1.

You'll find 'sitting tight' is quite easy when your teeth depend on it.

Taylor was doing very well for us before his daft sending off and subsequent injury. I don't have faith in him to stay fit for any length of time but he is dependable enough when called upon. No doubt in mind I'd much rather him in the team with Williamson than Dummett.

Absolutely crazy that this even needed to be said, btw. A 5'10" untried full back partnering Mike Williamson at CB for the most important away fixture of the season ffs.

Taylor was in the defence which conceded 9 in those two home games and was having a crap game against Man City before he got sent-off. Not sure how that can be defined as doing very well.

I've been amongst them twice. Gillingham years ago whe they were relegated to division 3 and the 'no away' fans game which we won 2-1.

Why did you go amongst them against Gillingham when we had our own end?

in my opinion if we lose this we're well withing our rights to make that breakaway team in my opinion. Newcastle City. They play in yellow like Brazil but have arrows on the kit and the badge is a silhouette that shows Shearer in his celebratory pose. Sponsored by Toshiba in my opinion. Who's with me?

Toon fans had their own end at Gillingham - Sunlun? Odd.

When we turned up the clock stand turnstiles were shut. So, we had to make do with going in the Roker End.

When we turned up the clock stand turnstiles were shut. So, we had to make do with going in the Roker End.

We seemed to have quite a few in with you, we could see our fans all over the Roker.

in my opinion if we lose this we're well withing our rights to make that breakaway team in my opinion. Newcastle City. They play in yellow like Brazil but have arrows on the kit and the badge is a silhouette that shows Shearer in his celebratory pose. Sponsored by Toshiba in my opinion. Who's with me?

right, it seems like the gillingham-toon story needs explained.

yonks ago, the mackems were dragged into a play off, the way they should be, shite from a higher division against wanabees from a lower divison. remember mind, this was sunderland (second division/tier) and gillingham (third division/tier). first leg I think the gills won3-1 and basically a winner takes all scenario, no wembley play off then, loads of mags turned up at Joker park to see the mackems fail to overturn the result..............and they obliged, won 4-3 I think but still went down. many a mag-gill link was maintained for a while. in joker that night there were three sections, amckem, mag and mag-gill.

I weren't there for what it's worth but enjoyed it via the radio , the name Howard Pritchard stil sends a shiver down the spine.

right, it seems like the gillingham-toon story needs explained.

yonks ago, the mackems were dragged into a play off, the way they should be, s**** from a higher division against wanabees from a lower divison. remember mind, this was sunderland (second division/tier) and gillingham (third division/tier). first leg I think the gills won3-1 and basically a winner takes all scenario, no wembley play off then, loads of mags turned up at Joker park to see the mackems fail to overturn the result..............and they obliged, won 4-3 I think but still went down. many a mag-gill link was maintained for a while. in joker that night there were three sections, amckem, mag and mag-gill.

I weren't there for what it's worth but enjoyed it via the radio , the name Howard Pritchard stil sends a shiver down the spine.

It was class, I went into work on the day of the match, it was a Sunday game.  I asked my boss if I could go home early so that I could go to the match to watch them go down and he told me to do a bit of piss taking for him.  I went to Seaham from the Central and walked down to Roker Park and loads of cars had stickers on them from Newcastle garages and my brother said it would just be mackems buying cars off us.  We got to the back of the Fullwell and could here Newcastle songs and thought it was Gillingham fans taking the piss out of the mackems until we got to the back of the Clock Stand and saw massive queues of our fans waiting to get in.

We had at least one section of the Clock Stand and it was chocker where I was standing so I'm quite sure that the whole section was full.  A bloke stood next to us and he had a kid on his shoulders who could have been no older than 4 or 5 years old.  I asked the bloke why he'd brought his kid and he said it was so the kid could tell his grandkids that he'd seen the mackems relegated to the 3rd division.

I saw at least one Newcastle flag in the Roker and I saw a few scuffles in most ends so I don't know how many of our lot were scattered around the ground.

After the game we walked back up the way we came down and the mackems were going mad from a distance as we sang Newcastle songs but they didn't try to have a go at us because we had hundreds of our fans together.  It was funny because they did try to have a go at Seaham station but that was because quite a few coppers appeared.  It was amazing how brave the mackems always became when the police were around. 

It was the same when a hundred or more of our lot went into the Fulwell one year.  I had heard rumours that loads were going in but took it with a pinch of salt.  They started singing a Newcastle song and the mackems ran towards the bottom left as we were looking and they didn't start to go back until the police went in to get our lot out.

Some mackems deny both happened while others play both down but they were humiliated both times so denial is a defence mechanism.

A load of mackems turned up behind the Roker one year we played them and were lobbing bricks and bottles over the wall and every one hit somebody because we couldn't move.  Our lot at the front kicked the gates open and ran at them, as usual the brave bastards legged it as fast as they could go.  They threw the bricks and bottles virtually every time we played them but this time the gates didn't hold.  Cowards who throw bottles and bricks move surprisingly quickly when they have to.

Local papers now reporting Taylor struggling to be fit for the game.

Not that fussed tbh, I think Dummet and Williamson will cope.

Dummet v Altidore, that should be "interesting"..

Williamson's there as well.