mackems vs Newcastle United - Sunday 27th October @ 1.30pm (live on Sky)

Skirge
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eh? It's true isn't it? We don't have any more purpose than they do. We have a better stadium and a better team obviously, but we're all scrapping for very similar mid table spots while Mancester and London compete for the top. I don't like it but it's the situation.

If you want to shrug your shoulders and just broadly collect two thirds of the division together like that, then cool.

I see there being clear differences between you and Sunderland beyond the tangible aspects you've mentioned (which, fwiw, provide a massive distinction by themselves).

That's not some pro-Newcastle bollocks just because I'm here. I think the difference is clear to see. Going "well, at the end of the day, we're pretty much on the same level looking for the same things" strikes me as lacking passion and conviction.

I'm not using the word "purpose" in a strict, literal sense either. No club is definitively "meant" to do X, Y or Z, but it's clear where Sunderland's position is. I think trying to categorise yourselves as being in roughly the same position is to do a massive disservice to you as a club, and would seem in line with the systematic attempts of lowering of fans' expectations your owner/manager appear intent on persisting with.

It goes beyond football IMO. Newcastle as a city is far more attractive, cosmopolitan and distinctive. Sunderland just looks like a poor man's version in every respect. They are so obsessed with us they even redesigned their club badge to look more like ours. That's not bias talking either, Durham City is in Wearside, but it's an attractive destination in it's own right. Unlike the shithole known as Sunderland.

the spiteful rivalries do. liverpool/manchester is similar in that it goes beyond football, the story going that the manchester ship canal saw an end to liverpool as a port of world significance and the antipathy between the two cities as a result. I did here a story about the non football tensions between cardiff and swansea (in my mind the only derby that comes close to ours for spite) but I'm buggered if I can remember it.

Really? I had always assumed the Liverpool/Manchester rivalry was purely football based due to them battling for supremacy from the 60's to the present times. I thought the same about the Leeds/Manchester rivalry as well, but then maybe there's more to that story as well.

Hope to fuck we turn up on Sunday and play well. We should beat them, however derby games change everything. I just hope we have learned from that shit last year and have Remy on fire at moment, along with Cabaye seemingly looking better, Tiote hopefully to step it up and Ben Arfa due a good game, with them lot lacking confidence we have to take them and pile the misery on them.

Need to hit them with our pace, expect Gouffran, Ben Arfa and Remy to start again and need to drag them all over the shop.

I'm amazed there still isn't an option to retain stadium noise but mute commentary.

didn't there used to be ?

I don't know. There was the option for player cam and crowd cam and commentary from two mealy-mouthed queering drunkards but I don't remember there ever being an option to just retain crowd noise.

Guest Haris Vuckic

I think there used to be an option to turn the commentary off but these days the commentators do their fair share of advertising so it's no wonder they took it out.

I wouldn't mind Niall Quinn commentating if we thrash them.

"http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/questions-from-newcastle-fans.828000/"

Hi Lads, I'm a Newcastle fan and I just wanted to pop over to ask you some questions before the match. I'm from a popular NUFC fan site and this seems like the perfect Sunderland forum to take part in our pre match build up that we do each week. The questions are:

1 - How do you think you’ll line up?

2 – How was Sunderland’s summer? Are you happy with the transfer deals done?

3 – Were you pleased that Di Canio was sacked? Is Gus Poyet the right man going forward?

4 – Do you have any talent coming through your academy? Who are the ‘ones to watch’?

5 – Who should we watch out for / who is your biggest threat?

6 – Which of our players do you consider to be our biggest threat?

7 – What is your prediction for Sunderland this season?

8 – How do you think Newcastle will do this season?

9 – Scoreline prediction?

10 – If your football club was a fruit, what fruit would it be?

Thanks for doing this!

Guess the first reply

at a guess "f*** off you bar code bassa"

Says a bit about the massive gulf of class tbh, on a forum level at least. Honestly think if someone came onto here asking the same thing from a Sunderland perspective there'd at least be some proper answers.

Aye, it took 8 pages for a respectable reply :lol:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/questions-from-newcastle-fans.828000/page-8#post-16181729

"http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/questions-from-newcastle-fans.828000/"

Hi Lads, I'm a Newcastle fan and I just wanted to pop over to ask you some questions before the match. I'm from a popular NUFC fan site and this seems like the perfect Sunderland forum to take part in our pre match build up that we do each week. The questions are:

1 - How do you think you’ll line up?

2 – How was Sunderland’s summer? Are you happy with the transfer deals done?

3 – Were you pleased that Di Canio was sacked? Is Gus Poyet the right man going forward?

4 – Do you have any talent coming through your academy? Who are the ‘ones to watch’?

5 – Who should we watch out for / who is your biggest threat?

6 – Which of our players do you consider to be our biggest threat?

7 – What is your prediction for Sunderland this season?

8 – How do you think Newcastle will do this season?

9 – Scoreline prediction?

10 – If your football club was a fruit, what fruit would it be?

Thanks for doing this!

Guess the first reply

at a guess "f*** off you bar code bassa"

Says a bit about the massive gulf of class tbh, on a forum level at least. Honestly think if someone came onto here asking the same thing from a Sunderland perspective there'd at least be some proper answers.

Aye, it took 8 pages for a respectable reply :lol:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/threads/questions-from-newcastle-fans.828000/page-8#post-16181729

6 - Which of our players do you consider to be our biggest threat?

No idea, I couldn't name any of your current players.

:lol:

Eh? It's true isn't it? We don't have any more purpose than they do. We have a better stadium and a better team obviously, but we're all scrapping for very similar mid table spots while Mancester and London compete for the top. I don't like it but it's the situation.

If you want to shrug your shoulders and just broadly collect two thirds of the division together like that, then cool.

I see there being clear differences between you and Sunderland beyond the tangible aspects you've mentioned (which, fwiw, provide a massive distinction by themselves).

That's not some pro-Newcastle bollocks just because I'm here. I think the difference is clear to see. Going "well, at the end of the day, we're pretty much on the same level looking for the same things" strikes me as lacking passion and conviction.

I'm not using the word "purpose" in a strict, literal sense either. No club is definitively "meant" to do X, Y or Z, but it's clear where Sunderland's position is. I think trying to categorise yourselves as being in roughly the same position is to do a massive disservice to you as a club, and would seem in line with the systematic attempts of lowering of fans' expectations your owner/manager appear intent on persisting with.

Bullseye.

Guest antz1uk

It goes beyond football IMO. Newcastle as a city is far more attractive, cosmopolitan and distinctive. Sunderland just looks like a poor man's version in every respect. They are so obsessed with us they even redesigned their club badge to look more like ours. That's not bias talking either, Durham City is in Wearside, but it's an attractive destination in it's own right. Unlike the shithole known as Sunderland.

I'm not sure where you're from as I don't post a lot on here but I think you'll find Durham City is in County Durham not wearside. I find that statement highly offensive  :rant:

Miles Starforth ‏@milesstarforth 16m

Jonas Gutierrez is still on 'personal leave' and won't be involved in Wear-Tyne derby. #nufc

What sort of vice captain is he?

He can stay on 'personal leave' for the remainder of his contract tbh.

Miles Starforth ‏@milesstarforth 16m

Jonas Gutierrez is still on 'personal leave' and won't be involved in Wear-Tyne derby. #nufc

What sort of vice captain is he?

He can stay on 'personal leave' for the remainder of his contract tbh.

Agree. He's opting out for the good of the team.

Guest Roger Kint

Where is best to watch this in town?

Anywhere will be busy, i usually opt for fluid as you can get to the bar, imagine shark/ nine/ sam jacks etc will be good

When you say good you mean shit right?