NUFC media bans - Telegraph now banned from club

Anderson
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The clubs have too much power over the locals, they'll come crawling back and things will be even more manipulated.

The nationals, however, must use this opportunity to put pressure on the regime. There needs to be consequences from today's result.

The clubs have too much power over the locals, they'll come crawling back and things will be even more manipulated.

The nationals, however, must use this opportunity to put pressure on the regime. There needs to be consequences from today's result.

they won't, Newcastle are not a big enough story for any kind of consistent pressure on Ashley. Couple of column inches here and there but nothing we haven't heard before and won't hear again.

I suspect this will turn out to be a temporary ban - 1 or 2 matches - to lay down the law to the press.

That way, the press have something to gain by shutting up / apologising etc so they can weasel their way back in. Whereas a permaban would lead to the press declaring open season on Ashley, even he's not that silly, shirley?

Do the local press need the club, really? I'm not so sure. I think saying that is an easy get-out clause that lets them get away with printing nothing but dull quotes rather than doing any actual journalism.

Interviews with players/managers and transfer exclusives, plus pushing club merchandise through the papers, which drive up their sales (do you do that in UK?). Madrid and Barça very effectively use those to beat their local press into submission.

Do the local press need the club, really? I'm not so sure. I think saying that is an easy get-out clause that lets them get away with printing nothing but dull quotes rather than doing any actual journalism.

Interviews with players/managers and transfer exclusives, plus pushing club merchandise through the papers, which drive up their sales (do you do that in UK?). Madrid and Barça very effectively use those to beat their local press into submission.

They certainly don't get any transfer exclusives, and the interviews consist almost entirely of Steven Taylor saying "We'll do it for the fans", no merchandising stuff. I can't see any benefit that the paper gets from it honestly, yes the NUFC coverage is a big selling point of the paper but real journalists shouldn't need interviews with players to manage decent coverage. I can't think of anything more boring than reading a local rag interview with a player.

They certainly don't get any transfer exclusives, and the interviews consist almost entirely of Steven Taylor saying "We'll do it for the fans", no merchandising stuff. I can't see any benefit that the paper gets from it honestly, yes the NUFC coverage is a big selling point of the paper but real journalists shouldn't need interviews with players to manage decent coverage. I can't think of anything more boring than reading a local rag interview with a player.

:thup: This could be a good thing for them if it means they employ proper journalists. Seems a leap too far though, can see one or both of them folding soon.

For sure, most interview pieces and similar are inane fluff, but a lot of people buy into them. Lazy journalism does sell. Ultimately, a big share of any club's support wants to read they are the best (even when they arent, or particularly when they aren't), and this kind of "journalism" serves that, and serves the club's board interests at the same time.

And there's also the indirect bribes of flying journos with the players in away games, junkets, and other perks.

Would love to see them wage war on the club with some stinging cold hard journalistic assassination, but we're more than likely to get heavy arse-licking and extended quotes from the likes of Roeder and other former club shitheads who are essentially desperate for some low paid rent-a-gobbing until they're allowed to ask questions at the pressers again.

Guest firetotheworks

The contempt that there is for the Internet as a voice is pr hubris. As if they're implying the Internet is 'other people' and it's working. Everyone is on the Internet, every fan can and will voice an opinion. We want fucking journalism, not fucking Steven Taylor bought a new frock by Ladybird.

To be fair I didn't expect that little protest to have even the slightest bit of impact. How wrong was I.

Shows how easy it is to get to Ashley, hope this means non stop chants against him whenever he turns up to a game now. Prick.

Guest firetotheworks

That's a good point actually. If anything it's vindication for doing such a thing. The problem is obviously how to do it without him further shitting on the club and us. Aside from some sort of situation where we get environmental health in to shut down SJP and then low-ball the cunt with an £800,000 offer for the club, I can't see anything that can be done.

starting to get ever so slightly more critical and objective - not much, but it's a start.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/sport-opinion/neil-cameron-alan-pardew-needs-6248315

Neil Cameron: Pardew needs to play his best team against Manchester City

28 Oct 2013 11:58   

It was an afternoon that left us with many questions and if you work for this newspaper they weren't getting answered

Share on print Share on email

Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew Newcastle United boss Alan Pardew

It was an afternoon that left us with many questions and if you work for this newspaper they weren’t getting answered.

But one thing came out of the defeat. One thing we do know to be absolutely true.

And that’s Alan Pardew must play his strongest team against Manchester City on Wednesday in their Capital Cup match.

Not a strong team or an experienced team. His very best team. It’s not a chance to blood some kids. Gabriel Obertan cannot be allowed anywhere near the pitch.

That is the very least Newcastle United supporters deserve after yesterday when they watched with bewildered agony as a “gutless” Sunderland side, with just one point from eight games before this Wear-Tyne derby, beat them at the Stadium of Light.

The home side edged it and that’s the truth. The visiting fans looked utterly sick by the end of it all. You couldn’t blame them.

If Pardew resorts to type when it comes to the League Cup and rests his bigger names for the visit of City, whose third team is worth roughly £100m, then they will be put out of the only competition that have a realistic chance of winning.

On the back of a derby defeat, that will be too much to take for some.

Those who don’t like Pardew really don’t like him, no matter what the man does. Those who can’t make up their minds will have a far stronger negative opinion now. Those who still back him are running out of patience.

This isn’t an opinion, by the way. It’s fact. He could do with some friends right now.

So, Alan, take some friendly advice. Go with your strongest XI on Wednesday night. Who cares if they are tired or have a knock. This last-16 cup tie has all of a sudden become massively important. A win would do you a power of good.

If Newcastle can get themselves into the giddy heights of a quarter-final place, some time will be bought, if not a lot. If Pardew goes into the game and doesn’t go for it, and with Chelsea and Tottenham next up in the Premier League, he puts himself under more pressure.

Make no mistake, these are testing times for Newcastle’s manager.

Joe Harvey was the last man who occupied that high office to lose successive derbies.

You have to go back to Bill McGarry to find the last Newcastle manager to lose two derbies full stop, in 1979 and 1980.

Pardew thought his team deserved to win yesterday. He was something of a lone voice there.

They might, and it’s a slim might, have done enough to earn a draw. But that’s straw-clutching. Newcastle started appallingly, went a goal down, and then without doing all that much, got themselves level and then allowed Sunderland back into it.

Oh sure, there were moments such as Shola Ameobi’s shot that for all the world looked like it was going in, and quick reactions from Keiren Westwood stopped a late equaliser.

But these are typical derby moments. They were fairly irrelevant. It’s not as if the Sunderland keeper had a worldy or there were penalty shouts or goals wrong chopped off. There were a few half-chances. That was it.

Newcastle are a better team than Sunderland. It might seem a bit daft to say that after yesterday, but I genuinely believe this.

Hard work only beats talent when the talent doesn’t work hard. That’s happened in this derby twice in the space of six months. Too many players in black and white fell short yesterday. Way short.

Newcastle turned in a strangely disjointed performance at the Stadium of Light. All those derby clichés of winning battles, running hard, facing up to the opposition, well they happen to be true.

Sunderland seemed to get that message. Those in black and white waited until after half-time before really showing up. Moussa Sissoko was an empty jersey and was subbed at half-time. Yohan Cabaye did little right and Hatem Ben Arfa was appalling for 45 minutes, woke up, set up the equaliser, then disappeared.

Loic Remy chased lost causes and Papiss Cisse, when he came on, looked a two yards off the pace.

Cheick Tiote can look himself in the mirror. He put in a shift, passed the ball and tried to get his team-mates going. They weren’t listening.

Here’s the thing. At 1-1, you felt United would go on and win it. Sunderland were tired and hadn’t really threatened in the second-half. Where was a goal going to come for them? To be fair, Fabio Borini answered that with a superb strike.

Overall, Sunderland were more hungry and that tends to win these games.

United never really got a proper foothold even if for periods they were on top.

Ben Arfa had one of those games that has you tearing clumps out of your hair.

And yet it was his cross-cum-shot that allowed Mathieu Debuchy to creep past Adam Johnson at the back postand score an equaliser that Newcastle fans probably didn’t see coming.

That should have been the signal for Newcastle to go for broke. Oddly, and it was a strange game all in, Sunderland got back into things when they had been really off the pace.

The next goal was always going to be the winner. Sunderland scored it. The victors weren’t even that brilliant themselves.

Wednesday is another game and a chance to put some things right.

And Newcastle now have some making-up to do with their supporters.

But Pardew will play the second team against Man City, and when we get beat he will have the perfect excuse, lets just put JFK in charge and get this over and done with