Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Southampton are another of those good teams that are greater than the sum of their parts largely thanks to a clearly defined style of play. Unlike us.

Agree with that, I was thinking that Pardew had finally been making a bit of progress with that this season but it's hard to say really.

Southampton are another of those good teams that are greater than the sum of their parts largely thanks to a clearly defined style of play. Unlike us.

Agree with that, I was thinking that Pardew had finally been making a bit of progress with that this season but it's hard to say really.

:lol:  it's not hard to say at all. Of course we've made progress.

Back to being a f***ing coward. s*** scared of Southampton reserves :lol:

:jesuswept:

:lol: Dat fickleness.

It's the arrogance :lol: reserve side? Osvaldo, Rodriguez and Lovren cost about £30m between them, not to mention the youth Southampton manage to regularly produce!

Southampton are like a better version of Norwich, a smattering of expensive good players surrounded by club level workhorses. We've spent far less on players like Gouffran, Sissoko and Cabaye, but our pedigree throughout the squad is much better.

Southampton have spent a fair bit and have the likes of Shaw, Ward-Prowse, Clyne (I know he was bought but was cheap) coming through. They are far from a bad side, as they have shown this season.

A draw which we were more than deserving of and probably should have won is definitely not a bad result and Pardew can't be blamed for the chances we missed.

But he can be blamed for how he set his side up for the 2nd half, which cost us 2 points.

Give over man. We had a bad twenty minutes and after that it could have went either way. It was a good end to end game at the end and if remy scores we probably win it.

We were at home with a one goal lead after 45 mins. I don't accept them dominating 20 mins of the second half, equalising then going end to end as good enough. We lost shape and control, all the things we've thought were looking better in the previous few games.

Teams who are behind will more often than not come out with more intent/fired up.

Unless it's us. We come out worse and get battered 3 or 4 nil.

Can't disagree with that, we have a complete bottle job of a manager. I just don't see why anyone is surprised when teams (other than us) come out a bit more up for it when they are behind.

I expect a team to come out looking for a goal in the second half when they're behind, I just also expect us not to allow them to get it. I've never seen a side struggle so consistently against the opposition when ahead in a game as we do.

We pretty much slash the next goalscored odds for the opponents to about 2/7 every time we take the lead.

What would you define as our main style of play?

What would you define as our main style of play?

We are a strong physical side. We notably try and keep the ball more in general than any other time pardew has been here. We are lacking ideas around the box and for me that's why you need to get hba in the team. There's been clear improvement.

They mainly hoofed it yesterday.

Righto.

Righto.

While I don't agree that they mainly hoofed it, they certainly weren't against going more direct, which is fine. I think it was VI that said Pochettino's Espanyol didn't really have a defined system for attacking, he had a defensive strategy that revolved around hard work, organisation and good pressing and left the offensive stuff to flair players, like Coutinho. The impression I got yesterday was that they could mix it up and went a bit more direct in the second half, trying to get the most out of Rodriguez's pace.

Righto.

They resorted to a bit of hoofball but that's because we were closing them down and stopping them from playing out from the back. More so than I've seen us do for a long time.

This is basically it. They pass it around without panic and with a well drilled positional sense and intelligence. Pochettino will end up at a big club.

Righto.

Their keeper played it across the floor to the defence pretty much every single time he had the ball :lol:

The commentator yesterday made a good point on our pressing. It's pointless just Remy going to press as he will be passed around. If your going to press high it has to be in packs, to squeeze the pitch. And force them long.

I felt like we abandoned that pressure in the second half anyway. I'm not sure how people can't see a clear pattern in our turgid second half display

It all dropped off. In the first half we got men forwards when the ball went forwards, in the second we didnt. So they build an attack, we clear it, we dont challenge for the knock down & they keep coming back at us because we let them. Some people have just reinterpreted that as "southampton just came out and were mint".

Pardew does it because he prefers to have men behind the ball once in the lead & to break on the counter. How this isnt a known historical fact at this point ive no idea. We've been talking about it for the last 2 seasons.

Annoys me how we bring every single player back into our penalty area when defending corners, and this isn't just at the end of matches when we're under the kosh. Just a whinge, but it strikes me as very negative, especially when you've brought back totally useless defenders like Remy and Ben Arfa. Just encourages the opposition instead of worrying them about us breaking - something we're actually pretty good at with these players.

One of the most annoying things about him is that he still doesn't know what his best formation is, what his best starting XI is and what style of football to play. He stumbles across new setups when he is forced to change through injury and he'll stick with them until it goes tits up, and then it's back to the drawing board.

He's done well lately but like Beren (I think) said in the match thread yesterday there is definitely a glass ceiling with him