Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

There was an incident in the second half where he was steaming in to the six yard box, the ball floated in, keeper and two defenders all heading for it and he didn't challenge, or even attempt to. Just lifted his hands up in that pathetic gesture he did last game when the keeper blasted the ball away. Not sure if I missed something but it was very odd behaviour for a striker; like he didn't want to risk an impact/wasn't really giving 100%. Another (less shocking) occasion where he was free with the ball, with some and time to shoot (which was clearly the best option) in the inside left channel of 18 yard box, and he checked back and popped an ineffectual cross over instead. Not on it; head elsewhere?

It's a friendly so told not to risk injury when possible?

Think he will be important for us this season but someone mentioned him bottling aerial challenges and that's one thing that irked me about him last season, seemed to back out of things when there was the potential to get knocked around a bit, needs to toughen up not just for the championship but for the premier league too, I think its one of the reasons his goal tallies aren't that impressive.

Needs to push himself more to fulfill his potential.

Doesn't need to be a dominant physical presence. Just surprised by lack of determination, if this is anything other than a blip, then I see it as a potentially catastrophic problem in any position and, well, he may need to grow a pair...

There was an incident in the second half where he was steaming in to the six yard box, the ball floated in, keeper and two defenders all heading for it and he didn't challenge, or even attempt to. Just lifted his hands up in that pathetic gesture he did last game when the keeper blasted the ball away. Not sure if I missed something but it was very odd behaviour for a striker; like he didn't want to risk an impact/wasn't really giving 100%. Another (less shocking) occasion where he was free with the ball, with some and time to shoot (which was clearly the best option) in the inside left channel of 18 yard box, and he checked back and popped an ineffectual cross over instead. Not on it; head elsewhere?

It's a friendly so told not to risk injury when possible?

Naa. I'd rather he'd go for everything and break a leg for the lads whether it's a friendly or even a kick about with his kids. Full blood, full time...anything else then he's a lazy cunt.

I love Perez and hope he does well, but he really needs to prove himself this season. Needs to really punish the opposition and cover himself in glory.

Don't think he has anything to prove tbh he is best striker at the club

Guest Howaythetoon

Perez is massively talented, but he has flaws. He is far too good for this level. Even against the Dutch team in a friendly he showed signs that he was several steps ahead of not only his team-mates but the opposition in terms of his thinking when on the pitch. He's a very intelligent footballer. I fear the pace and rigidity of the PL given his own slight frame and lack of real pace will prevent him form becoming a top-class player at that level, however. In a slower league where the emphasis is on technique and space/time etc. he will stand out like a sore thumb. You can see in him why Barcelona would be interested (if true) even though he is nowhere near their standard (at current). He has certain skills that they require to be part of their team. Vision, technical ability, intelligence, quick feet and goals and assists. He is a far more valuable asset than say Sissoko for example. In his short time here he has shown far more and that's without the power, pace and strength than Sissoko possesses which is seemingly a key criteria of a top level PL footballer these days...

Didn't say he needed to be some kind of dominant physical presence flying into tackles and what not, just have the bottle to go for the ball if theres a chance he could get clattered or go up for a header now and then, to compete for the ball.

HBA wasn't scared to do this, regularly got taken out by the opposition but still went for it time and again.

I think if Perez gets to start most games this season, he'll light the championship up. The biggest problem he might have is getting on the teamsheet if Rafa's still looking for a proven goalscorer.

Was at the open training session at SJP earlier - in the 6 a side games they played Ayoze really stood out as having the best technique, the equivalent of the kid at school who is so much better than everyone else.

Think he'll have a very big role to play this season

Do think it is a little strange that he didn't seem to improve at all under Rafa. And that his best performances for us have been when the rest of the team hasn't been performing.