England

Yorkie

59 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

His choices in match contexts were constantly justified throughout both the World Cup and the Euros. Trippier at LB, pairing Rice and Phillips, Sterling, sticking with Kane when everyone

wanted him out the team. It isn't just the mentality/team ethic/culture stuff, though that is obviously critical and probably doesn't receive enough praise despite receiving some. 

Agree on the mentality/team ethic/culture absolutely, but not sure I’d agree on the decisions. If we don’t know the alternatives then we can’t say for sure they were justified unless they always brought us the desired results. On both occasions we ultimately failed against decent teams after having fortunate draws and there’s reason to think Southgate was tactically naive in both of those matches. Also he persistently picks Mount and there’s no justification for that based on England form. 

Hungary were of course brilliant, but losing 0-4 at home to them is still absolutely pathetic and after this nations league it’s absolutely right he’s getting stick. 

Edited by St. Maximin

9 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

QF is par for England; history suggests that England are knocked out by the first really good side they play.  And if the tournament is played outside England, this becomes a hard and fast rule.

The second part didn’t change under Southgate - England had some fortune with the draws and home advantage at the Euros (not to be sniffed at - England haven’t beaten any major footballing nation in a knockout game played outside of England - and by major I mean Argentina, Brazil, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Spain, Portugal).

There is no reason to think Qatar will be any different.

Can sub out Belgium for Italy atm.

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Can sub out Belgium for Italy atm.

Belgium are an excellent side at present - but they’re not traditional heavyweights.  England knocked them out in the last 16 in Italy ‘90, of course - but other than Enzo Scifo that wasn’t a particularly strong Belgian side

Didn't watch last nights game but just assumed we lost 1 nil again. Just seen it was 4 nil. :lol:

Stats wise looked like more to the story. I don't know how much of this is experimenting new players or in general tired post season so not pushing hard, but it's hardly inspiring.

Are we still playing 4 or 5 defenders and two sitting DM's in front of them? Must be hard for what's left to not be heavily marked.

Guest HTT II
12 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Belgium are an excellent side at present - but they’re not traditional heavyweights.  England knocked them out in the last 16 in Italy ‘90, of course - but other than Enzo Scifo that wasn’t a particularly strong Belgian side

Another fave player of mine from the ‘90s!

15 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed. I mean moreso if England beat Belgium in the WC KO stages that would be the most significant win outside of England in a major tournament. 

Not suggesting is slightly acceptable for ENG to take 0-4 at home, but it seems to me that the Hungarian NT has made solid progression throughout the years. We faced them in 2016 and could barely pull a 3-3. In last Euros we won 0-3 but it was a extremely unfair result to them. Now they are making very good games on the NL.

I don't know, I kinda like to see Hungary rise again from their historical hashes after two lost WC finals.

I went back some pages and see mostly laughing emojis so I assume most of you aren't losing a night of sleep because of this.

Maybe it's time for Southgate to go?

Edited by TenkoDaLuz

Why are England incapable of getting in a manager that can get the team using the ball better?

The team is stacked full of players that are brilliant technically now. I think it's unacceptable that the team plays the way they do, even when they got to the final and semi final recently.

In my opinion, looking at the opponents they had in those last two tournaments, and the level of talent they had in the team, I genuinely think Harry Redknapp would have won at least one of those tournaments with England.

Say what you want about Redknapp, but his teams are always really good going forward, and he fills forward thinking players with tons of confidence, and gives them the freedom to do what they are best at, and Redknapp has also always been able to get results for the most part. His teams don't really tend to be rubbish defensively.

Don't understand why Redknapp never got a crack at it.

11 minutes ago, brummie said:

I always remember the Belgian keeper of that era: Jean-Marie Pfafffffffffffffffffff.

Funny, my mind went straight to Michel Preud’Homme who was Belgium’s keeper for most of the 80s and 90s. Brilliant keeper

Just now, Raconteur said:

Funny, my mind went straight to Michel Preud’Homme who was Belgium’s keeper for most of the 80s and 90s. Brilliant keeper

Of course the finest moment of world cup goal keeping in that era must surely be 'Rats beats Bats!'.

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Why are England incapable of getting in a manager that can get the team using the ball better?

The team is stacked full of players that are brilliant technically now. I think it's unacceptable that the team plays the way they do, even when they got to the final and semi final recently.

In my opinion, looking at the opponents they had in those last two tournaments, and the level of talent they had in the team, I genuinely think Harry Redknapp would have won at least one of those tournaments with England.

Say what you want about Redknapp, but his teams are always really good going forward, and he fills forward thinking players with tons of confidence, and gives them the freedom to do what they are best at, and Redknapp has also always been able to get results for the most part. His teams don't really tend to be rubbish defensively.

Redknapp would probably go the same way as Allardyce.

14 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Your post started so well then you mentioned ‘Arry. :lol:

As a random viewpoint as an outsider, it seems Southgate has always had to push back as to why he’s deserving of the job and he’s always been 1 loss away from backlash coming out or 1 win away from being the best. He’s done fantastic over the course of his time Imo but has been falling short. 

8 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Soft Rains of April for me (keep the faith Eddie! 💪)

Good to see there are some fellow A-Ha believers on here.

‘I’ve Been Losing You’ for me like.