sunder↓and

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

9,000 free tickets a match has to be bollocks surely like.

It isn't. I posted something about that on here last year. My cousin who worked in the Commercial department at SAFC at the time told me that.

The genius of it is you don't even need to then get those people through the turnstiles. The very act of handing out the tickets, even if they go straight in the bin, means you just add them on to the attendance.

I think this year they're probably doing just that - Not giving them out to punters so they don't lose revenue, but at the same time leaving a pile of 9,000 of them in a box somewhere that is accessible but nobody will ever find, and then claiming that as those tickets are potentially in circulation then they can just whack that number onto their "crowd" for the day. :lol:

Surely with the current state of their finances they would be looking to reduce the official attendance figures

They would pay less tax on a 20,000 crowd than 25,000 due to the reduced turnover

Whatever they report attendance as has no effect on turnover.

It isn't. I posted something about that on here last year. My cousin who worked in the Commercial department at SAFC at the time told me that.

The genius of it is you don't even need to then get those people through the turnstiles. The very act of handing out the tickets, even if they go straight in the bin, means you just add them on to the attendance.

I think this year they're probably doing just that - Not giving them out to punters so they don't lose revenue, but at the same time leaving a pile of 9,000 of them in a box somewhere that is accessible but nobody will ever find, and then claiming that as those tickets are potentially in circulation then they can just whack that number onto their "crowd" for the day. :lol:

Surely with the current state of their finances they would be looking to reduce the official attendance figures

They would pay less tax on a 20,000 crowd than 25,000 due to the reduced turnover

Whatever they report attendance as has no effect on turnover.

Indeed, they could claim 100,000 and when challenged by HMRC would just need to demonstrate they give 99,000 away

I'm led to believe that HMRC are only interested in the actual receipts and not the crowd figure.

That's probably the most extreme example of Hate Newcastle> Love Sunderland that I've ever heard of like. Are you absolutely sure that that's what they mean? That's utterly mental.

Yep, we talked about it specifically. Not that they're in any way linked obviously, but he was sure he would take that scenario.

I really hope our U23s do get them in that cup and beat their first team just so the old, "Newcastle and Newcastle reserves" joke was proven true.

Our U23s would struggle to beat an egg like, fucking hopeless :lol:

Utter humiliation when we beat them 3-0 then. These fuckers won’t be able to win an argument in League One if uncle Ellis is still at the helm 😂😂😂

I'd happily have them win 5 nowt if it meant them suffering the ignominy of playing our stiffs in a competitive fixture. On the plus side for Beardsley, he would be able to join in with their fans racist shenanigans.

Don't really understand anyone saying they're doomed or will be if they lose game x and another team wins game y.

I know they're shite but they're currently just 3 points adrift with 14 games remaining.  You couldn't even count them out in that situation with a handful of games left.  A team down there just picking up 2 or 3 wins can completely change the picture.

Don't really understand anyone saying they're doomed or will be if they lose game x and another team wins game y.

I know they're shite but they're currently just 3 points adrift with 14 games remaining.  You couldn't even count them out in that situation with a handful of games left.  A team down there just picking up 2 or 3 wins can completely change the picture.

Think your last sentence nails the crux of their problem tbh.

Knew someone would say that but you hear the same thing every single year about teams at the bottom, then plenty of teams do pick up a few wins to pull themselves out of the mess they're in, then those same people seem to forget it happens regularly.

If they were 8-10 points adrift at this stage I'd agree they were fucked, as it stands they've still got a decent chance of staying up.

Guest firetotheworks

The one thing that I would say is that it's hard to see where they'll get the points from. Earlier in the season when Palace were rock bottom it was pretty easy to see where they could improve and pick up points because they were adrift despite their quality whereas Sunderland seem to in contention despite their lack of quality. They're very lucky to be only a win or two away from safety because they're absolutely lifting in just about every department, I can hardly believe that they're not bottom by miles.

Yeah I am totally of this view too. Seen these do it too often in the Prem - other teams have failed to capitalise on their shite form so far for it to have consigned them to League One.

Knew someone would say that but you hear the same thing every single year about teams at the bottom, then plenty of teams do pick up a few wins to pull themselves out of the mess they're in, then those same people seem to forget it happens regularly.

If they were 8-10 points adrift at this stage I'd agree they were fucked, as it stands they've still got a decent chance of staying up.

It’s usually the result of a mangerial change though, which the mackems dont have the option of.

It’s not just the players that are on a downer, the whole club is absolutely toxic at the minute. Even one win doesn’t lift the mood and that’s why they cant string a couple of results together. Whilst none of the others who they are battling with are in that situation.

I wouldn’t say they have a decent chance of staying up at all, other than Burton they look much more likely to drop than any of the others.

As you say, 2 or 3 wins in a row can change everything - but what makes the mackems more likely to get those 2 or 3 wins than any of the other teams down there? Their squad is just as bad, their fans hate them, their owner hates them, they are demoralised and have a manager with a questionnable record during poor runs.

It’s usually the result of a mangerial change though, which the mackems dont have the option of.

It’s not just the players that are on a downer, the whole club is absolutely toxic at the minute. Even one win doesn’t lift the mood and that’s why they cant string a couple of results together. Whilst none of the others who they are battling with are in that situation.

I wouldn’t say they have a decent chance of staying up at all, other than Burton they look much more likely to drop than any of the others.

As you say, 2 or 3 wins in a row can change everything - but what makes the mackems more likely to get those 2 or 3 wins than any of the other teams down there? Their squad is just as bad, their fans hate them, their owner hates them, they are demoralised and have a manager with a questionnable record during poor runs.

Tbh I'm not commenting on the likelihood of it as such, more that saying they're doomed in this situation is nonsense.

They need to be 5-6 points better off than a handful of utterly shite teams above them between now and the end of the season.  It's not the challenge of the century or anything given that there's almost a third of the season left, it can definitely be done quite easily.

It's a bit like the PL in some respects, that it's too tight to call who will go down. They don't have the sheer number of teams still in it like we do but you could pick any 3 from the 6 or 7 teams down there. One thing is in their favour this year, the points total that they need to hit is probably closer to the 41 points achieved by the third bottom team in 2014/15 than the 51 achieved last year by Blackburn (3rd bottom). But since they've only gotten 26 points from 34 games, achieving an average of one point per game (a target they've not managed to achieve in the last two years) only gets them to 40, that won't be enough.

I think the average points to stay up is in the upper 40's, lets say 46 points is the target this year, that's 20 points from 14 games, for a team so bereft of confidence and quality that's a massive ask. They can still get out of it, and for sure they have some history of doing so in the PL at least, but that squad and manager really will have to produce an amazing turnaround in form, even though they are only 3 points from safety they just look shot to me.

I wasn't saying they'll stay up or go down like, just that they seem utterly incapable of putting anything together at all, plus they seem to have weakened themselves in the window.

Anyway agree they could put something together but equally so could any other team down there.

william hill  .........sunderland 2/7 to go down.

so every chance they will , but yes they will more than likely spawn their way out of it, but they really do look terrible.